Best ASoIaF player

Tygett Lannister

1 hour ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

No need to apologise to me, it's no skin off my nose. You asked questions about what Tygett meant and I told you where to find the answers you sought.

Here's the thing we are told by different sources that Doran is a player and we're told how smart he is and that he's a careful planner etc etc. But as we agree his plans all suck big time but we also know that he has a bigger plan but we're given no details about it except that he wanted to take everything from Tywin before killing him. So we have his goal but his entire plan until very recently, a plan 20 years in the making is just marry Arianne to the beggar king Viserys. That's not a bad plan, that's a plan so nonsensical that it could be Hodor's. How can we reconcile that people like Tywin himself think Doran is one of the smartest guys in the realm with this foolishness. Either every character is completely wrong about Dorans wits or it's intentional misdirection. I know what seems more likely to me.

Anyway I think I told you the wrong video anyway. You want The Dornish Master Plan

I watched the first part, i'll watch some more later. It's a interesting theory. If it turns out true i'll change my mind on Doran Martell but for now i'm sticking with my original thought of the man. Tywin could be wrong about Doran too. Tywin was wrong about Robb Stark.

3 hours ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Well if you aren't willing to listen to a theory than why are you asking what Doran Martell did to be considered good player. I am not going to go and write essay here just because you don't like Preston's channel and don't want to listen to his theory.

Well I asked you to point out what Doran has done so far, not a theory about stuff he may or may not be involved with. If you want to go off of a theory about how good of a player Doran is, go for it. 

2 hours ago, Danelle said:

To be fair Doran is only afraid that once he tells Arianne, she will tell her friends and then it will no longer be a secret. For some reason he cannot trust his 23 year old daughter but he is willing to trust his younger son, a maester, a drinkwater, 2 yronwoods and a wells. He feared that Arianne would tell Tyene and then she would tell Obara and Nym and they would spread the secret. But he seems to trust men that frankly he doesn't know that well. 

So far, Doran's greatest accomplishment is that Tywin appears to be afraid of him

And that GRRM has said that he plays to win, but so did Theon Greyjoy and so does Cersei Lannister, and Varys and Walder Frey. They all play to win. Apart from Roose Bolton, but he is another story.

You're right we only see Doran worried about news of Quentyns trip getting out once he tells Arianne. Maybe he's worried about Lord Yronwood too, I dont know. Yeah Doran plays to win but so does almost everyone else, like you pointed out. 

11 hours ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Because it is so obvious she is not a top rank player. She is a smart girl but nowhere near having a status of player. How could you ever put Daenerys over someone like Varys or Littelfinger (for example I can see Tywin, Olenna ... being put over them, but not personal opinion). Player is about playing with power not having power, Varys, LF have no to little power but they are good at shifting power that others posses. She has a lot of power but is bad at using it. She is good for a 14 years old that has been abused by her weird brother and sold as a whore and her childhood being running all the time.

I'm still wondering who died and made you king of the universe?

2 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

If this is some feminism kicking because I am dissing "the best empowered hero female character" in the books, go cry to Martin for not introducing better main female characters.

I'm simply trying to make you aware that your "poll" isnt worth squat as long as you exclude characters based on YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.

Just now, Sigella said:

I'm simply trying to make you aware that your "poll" isnt worth squat as long as you exclude characters based on YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.

Well so far there is only one vote for Dany out of 66, and it is probably yours so it is not just my opinion. There is just no textual support for her being a top tier player.

40 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Well so far there is only one vote for Dany out of 66, and it is probably yours so it is not just my opinion. There is just no textual support for her being a top tier player.

Obviously she has zero votes SINCE YOU HAVE EXCLUDED HER BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.

1 hour ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

You better read again.  She took control of the greatest infantry that is known in that world and liberated them from the slave masters.   She defeated the undying ones in the Palace of Dust.  Dany is a proven winner and the best player of the game of thrones.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:46 PM, Sigella said:

Obviously she has zero votes SINCE YOU HAVE EXCLUDED HER BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.

Nobody is excluded you can vote for Hot Pie if you want to. If you are to lazy to write her name than you don't really think she is the best.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

You better read again.  She took control of the greatest infantry that is known in that world and liberated them from the slave masters.   She defeated the undying ones in the Palace of Dust.  Dany is a proven winner and the best player of the game of thrones.

Read my posts and you will she how what you listed required little intelligence and that most that she has has been given to her because she came from the right vagina.

Why is not Eddark Stark an option? He outplayed everyone by hiding an heir to the throne under everyone's nose. And all without any scheming, bribing, spying or backstabbing. 

Doran Martell must be a joke answer, though he certainly would win in a poll on "Who's the best at getting their family members killed?".

31 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Nobody is excluded you can vote for Hot Pie if you want to. If you are to lazy to write her name than you don't really think she is the best.

Read my posts and you will she how what you listed required little intelligence and that most that she has has been given to her because she came from the right vagina.

Trolling much? :D

On 10/18/2017 at 6:09 PM, Hangover of the Morning said:

Why is not Eddark Stark an option? He outplayed everyone by hiding an heir to the throne under everyone's nose. And all without any scheming, bribing, spying or backstabbing. 

Doran Martell must be a joke answer, though he certainly would win in a poll on "Who's the best at getting their family members killed?".

Eddard Stark is the man that went to the Queen and told her he knows about the incest and she should flee with her kids. He is hiding a bastard of his daughter Jon is no heir, plus it was Lyan's plan to reveal Jon as his own bastard and than he just stayed quiet for the rest of his life sitting in Winterfell, not much playing m8.

Well read some theories about Doran's plans.

On 10/12/2017 at 1:21 PM, Tygett Greenshield said:

Who is in your opinion the best player in ASoIaF books? Player meaning someone who is good at obtaining power and controlling it, makes political changes that he wants them to happen, manipulate others to do something they would like etc.

I made a list of characters that seem to make the most obvious choices. There is also an option "Other" where you can then write the name of the character you think is the best player but it is not on the list. Please do not pick characters that were dead before the start of the AGoT or those with "magical" powers like Bloodraven or being a different race (White Walkers, Children of the Forrest, Giant).

I would also love to see which you think are best player ranked with numbers. Mine are:

1. Baelish

2. Varys

3. Doran

4. Olenna

5. Tywin

6. Tyrion

7. Illyrio Mopatis

8. Margaery Tyrell

I might forgot someone xd

Your list is inadequate.  You left out the best power player in the novels:  Daenerys Targaryen.  Your list consists of second-class players, except for Tywin, Illyrio, and LF,  by comparison.  A young maiden forced to marry into the horse culture of the Dothraki managed to win over Khal Drogo and become a respected Khaleesi in her own right.  Sansa would have died in the same situation.  Dany has real power.  Her power is not based in illusion, perception, or belief.  Her power is real.  Walking into that fire is a clear demonstration of courage and confidence.  Dany earned her power and deserves it.  Varys' silly riddle does not apply at this level.  It is only relevant to those who have a tenuous grip on power.  Dany's power is absolute.  The loyalty of the unsullied and that of her own khalasar are absolute.  Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal are completely loyal.  That's real power.

Tyrion!  Tyrion never won power by himself.  He only became the hand of the king because Tywin gave him the office.  He's a poor player of the game.  And Margie!  She doesn't have power.  Yes, she has some political skills but she herself does not have power.  You don't have power if you're riding the coat tails of the powerful and are at their mercy.  You don't have real power if you have to convince another more powerful to get things done.  Influence and power are not exactly the same.  Varys has influence but his power is limited.  Therefore, he can play all he wants but until he gains real power, he can't be considered the best player.  Doran earned the right to rule by virtue of birth.  He didn't scheme his way to the leadership of Dorne.  Now, Illyrio, yeah, I can see why he would be on the list.  Wealth is power and he earned his.  LF destroyed the Starks and the Baratheons, so yeah, he's up there.

Archived