NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

The stories I read said that they have been released to their hotel rooms, but are not allowed to leave the hotel until the legal process is finished... and the Chinese authorities have up to a month before they even have to decide to press charges or not.

In 2003, I went on a clinic abroad trip to India.  We were there around Diwali in October.  One guy on the trip was a former cop in Chicago and would still go to the gun range from time to time.  He took his range bag as his carry on.  We boarded a plane in Chicago and then transferred flights in Amsterdam to get on another plane.  We landed in Mumbai and then took another flight to Pune where the clinic was set up.  We were there for a week and then we were set to do the tourist gig for a week.  While boarding the plane from Pune to New Delhi, the security scanner found two live rounds of ammunition wedged down into the lining of a side pocket.  Long story short... the rest of us came home to the States a week later as planned.  He remained a guest of the Indian government until after Christmas.  And that's in a country that calls itself a democracy... I can't imagine what could happen in Red China.  :stunned: 

Posters over at Bruins Nation are calling for all three to be expelled from school.  Seems a bit extreme to me, but they all think a little highly of themselves and ask "What would Coach do in this situation?"  I dunno... probably ask Sam Gilbert how much he paid for the kids already...  :stillsick: 

Mark Titus' preseason NPOY picks:

I’ll be damned. It’s really here. After an offseason that felt like it lasted for an eternity—in which Thad Matta and Rick Pitino were both fired, Marvin Bagley III waited until the very last second to announce his commitment to Duke, Mitchell Robinson transferred to and from Western Kentucky roughly 30 different times, LiAngelo Ball became the nation’s leader in steals before ever playing a game, the NCAA gave a middle finger to NC State with one hand while patting North Carolina on the back with the other, John Calipari suspended his podcast, an FBI probe shook the entire sport to its core, Josh Pastner was blackmailed because he didn’t tell his friend happy birthday, Purdue almost won an international title before ever winning a national championship, Kyle Guy cut off his man bun, and Dan Dakich insulted six different people on Twitter by calling them a “fly on an elephants ass”—it’s finally arrived. Now the buzz is not only palpable, it’s through the ceiling and the roof. COLLEGE BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!

The best way to celebrate the start of a new season is to take part in what has quickly become one of my favorite November traditions: offering up my national player of the year candidates. Last season I masterfully nailed my list of preseason candidates(CTRL + F “Mason” = zero results!), which is why I’m so eager to take another stab. With that, here are 18 guys, divided up into tiers, who may (or may not) be named national player of the year come April. And so we’re clear: I cut down my list for formatting purposes. My original list included literally every player in NCAA men’s basketball, so if I turn out to be way off, keep in mind that I technically nailed the pick and it just got left on the editing room floor.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:06 PM, Rhom said:

Posters over at Bruins Nation are calling for all three to be expelled from school.  Seems a bit extreme to me, but they all think a little highly of themselves and ask "What would Coach do in this situation?"  I dunno... probably ask Sam Gilbert how much he paid for the kids already...  :stillsick: 

I don't know I think that could be appropriate, honestly.  If they're good enough they can get a second chance somewhere else after they sit out this year.  When you go and play an exhibition game in another country and you're out and about you are an ambassador for NCAA basketball, your university, and your country and these guys embarrassed all three.  Should at least get a hefty suspension, though it looks like they might be spending a chunk of the season in China anyway.  

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Love reading him

4 hours ago, S John said:

I don't know I think that could be appropriate, honestly.  If they're good enough they can get a second chance somewhere else after they sit out this year.  When you go and play an exhibition game in another country and you're out and about you are an ambassador for NCAA basketball, your university, and your country and these guys embarrassed all three.  Should at least get a hefty suspension, though it looks like they might be spending a chunk of the season in China anyway.  

I can understand that too.  Certainly shoplifting in LA is different than shoplifting in China in my mind.  Haven't heard anything else on the situation yet, do we know if they are still confined to the hotel?

Well fuck, came out looking like we were gonna blow A&M out and then managed to get blown out.  Fuck.  I have faith that Huggs will ultimately field a serviceable team.  But we aren’t playing D like we did last year and like the last several years we still can’t score.  We have a couple decent three point shooters but couldn’t work the bell inside at all.  If you suck at scoring and you can’t turn the other team over you are done. Can’t read too much into a first game played at midnight in Germany, but this team need to get gritty or die.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Could be worse... coulda been down 9 at the half to Utah Valley State at home.

I'm reminding you, that you assured us this wasn't going to be a repeat of 2013.  I'm holding you to that. I'm not sure the team I saw tonight was even NIT-worthy. 

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

... ... You realize his team lost and yours won, right? 

A win is always a win.  You are of course correct.  I will step back from the ledge. :lol: 

On a related note, the SEC looked good last night.  Every school that played a power 5 opponent came away with a win. Been a while since I could say that.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:11 PM, Rhom said:

I can understand that too.  Certainly shoplifting in LA is different than shoplifting in China in my mind.  Haven't heard anything else on the situation yet, do we know if they are still confined to the hotel?

Not flying back with the team.  Apparently there's video of them stealing from three stores.  So incredibly stupid.  

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

On a related note, the SEC looked good last night.  Every school that played a power 5 opponent came away with a win. Been a while since I could say that.

I saw LSU beat a cupcake and their top recruit, Tremont Waters, dropped 27. The kid is a freshman from CT and my buddy was his P.E. teacher a few years back. He's been raving about Tremont for a few years now and how Uconn missed out on him is beyond me. He's a big time scorer that can actually shoot, something that we desperately need. Ollie just continues to disappoint.

Not sure VCU is capable of playing defense, especially against top 50 teams, but man they are fun to watch. They play hard, play fast, are super young and are capable of putting up a whole lot of points. As much as I thought Wade was a good bridge coach, happy to get back to what's actually fun to watch. We are going to have some issues this year and next given our recruiting hits but I like the style.

Friday, at 4pm against UVA. Watch if you can, should be a huge clash of styles. Hope we can speed them up and score against a pack line defense.

I've never understood why it's a foul when a player shoots a shot, the ball is already in the air, and the defender grazes his hand while the ball is in the air. The shot was not affected. The defender gains no advantage, which is supposed to be the definition of a foul.

Archived