NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Your boys looked good.  Definitely deserve to be in the top 25.  You’ll give teams fits.

Watching this other game... I can’t believe Conner Frankamp is still around.  Dude would look old at a YMCA rec league game!

Dickie V mentioned Kentucky's size no less than 40 times. But it was a good game. I was also impressed with V. Tech.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Your boys looked good.  Definitely deserve to be in the top 25.  You’ll give teams fits.

Watching this other game... I can’t believe Conner Frankamp is still around.  Dude would look old at a YMCA rec league game!

I came here to post much the same... but I'll second it.  First time I've seen UK play something like what they're capable of and damn I don't want to play VT in March.  I saw 2 top 25 teams today.  

@RedEyedGhost you had me for a minute or two, but I had to click the link out of disbelief :P

Yea VT shot lights out in the first half, they are definitely a good team.  I was glad they didn’t win though, because IF (note the big ‘if’) WVU beats UK later in the season it’ll be a fun thing to bring up to the numerous Hokie fans in my life.

3 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

@RedEyedGhost you had me for a minute or two, but I had to click the link out of disbelief :P

:D 

39 minutes ago, S John said:

Yea VT shot lights out in the first half, they are definitely a good team.  I was glad they didn’t win though, because IF (note the big ‘if’) WVU beats UK later in the season it’ll be a fun thing to bring up to the numerous Hokie fans in my life.

Okay, so people always joke about beating up on The School for the Blind in the non-con schedule, but seriously, WTF is Wheeling Jesuit?  On ESPN's website you literally cannot get any information about them as there is no clickable link.  Are they a WV team that you guys brought in to help fund their athletic program.

I didn't have a chance to watch the game, I was at a local game store demoing my board game.  But from what I read, Kentucky more than doubled the number of 3's they've been averaging all year.  Of course they did...just our luck...lol.  Our issue is that we really only have 1 guy that can play the 5...and if he gets in foul trouble...

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

:D 

Okay, so people always joke about beating up on The School for the Blind in the non-con schedule, but seriously, WTF is Wheeling Jesuit?  On ESPN's website you literally cannot get any information about them as there is no clickable link.  Are they a WV team that you guys brought in to help fund their athletic program.

It was an exhibition game so I don’t think that game is even supposed to count towards WVUs record.  The stats don’t count anyway.  Apparently there was a two week gap in wvu’s schedule after the Pitt game so they opted to play their second exhibition game yesterday instead of at the beginning of the year to fill that gap.

eta - yea just verified that the game doesn’t count.  WVU sports site has us at 9-1.  ESPN has us at 10-1 after the WJ win because one can’t expect the biggest sports network to actually know things like that.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, LaVar Ball wants to start his own league to challenge the NCAA basketball system. I actually think it’s the right thing to do, just the wrong person to do it. The NCAA is so crooked.

Hah yeah.  Good idea, entirely wrong person to be involved it.

18 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Hah yeah.  Good idea, entirely wrong person to be involved it.

I wouldn’t go so far as to use the word friend, but I was friendly with a lot of student athletes when I was at the U of MN (I was a member of the student government for a few years which led to some fun connections). The top recruits on the football and basketball teams were taken care of, but the other dudes really struggled. It was widely known that they were allowed to steal from a few of the on campus eateries because they couldn’t afford to have three meals a day. And that’s just for the major sports. Who knows how the other athletes got by. Most of these kids are full time students with a full time job as an athlete that doesn’t pay. The system is so wrong. I’ll support almost anyone who tries to challenge and change it, even this clown.

Its the right idea, but the wrong guy for sure.  Its also far easier to dream up than to actually implement.

Eight men per roster doesn't leave much room for problems, like injuries.  And even without injuries, how do you practice without at least ten bodies? You may sell the product on the floor by playing games, but you do the real teaching and learning in practice.

That’s omitting the obvious problem with trying meet the cost of playing in major facilities, like pro arenas. There is no way a start up league like this is going to meet the minimum costs of renting out an arena that seats 15,000 or even 5,000 for that matter with an unproven product with no following. I don’t see a television contract likely with major money that would balance those books either. You will note that the NBA hasn’t chosen to go the big venue route for their developmental league teams, both because of costs, and how the heck do you sell tickets to a secondary product in competition to the "big boys" league. But what’s a little reality when you are selling cloud of smoke anyway?

A cold dose of reality, the NBA D-League averaged just under 3,000 a game, after 10 years in existence, with better known players taking the floor every night, in towns without competition from the NBA as a rule. D-1 collegiate games, including the NCAA tournament games last year averaged 4,799, and those teams typically have a dedicated fan base supporting them because of their long time connection to a school, drawing from their students and alumni. None of which the BBB League would have going for it.

In short I am all for Lavar doing it, as long as it is with his own money, and breaking his financial balls in the process. Pity the fools who count on the checks being good though.

I've often wondered why the D-league... er G-League, whatever, affiliates didn't go the route of "B-Team" high school athletics... and do a G-League game before the NBA game.  Arena's already in play on those dates, gives the fans that show up early something to watch, gives the arenas more revenue from concessions and whatnot.  The fans get to watch their development players before the big boys play, if they so choose.

I'm sure the lawyers, marketers, and accountants have worked out that having a completely separate minor league brings in more money... but I don't get it.  I'm also an engineer so I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of such things.

8 hours ago, sperry said:

Looking like Oklahoma has it's 3rd Naismith winner in the past 10 seasons. I think the secret is out by now, but this is the most fun player and most fun team to watch.

Young is pretty amazing.  It’s early, but he’d have to hit a pretty bad second half slump to lose it.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

I timed my holiday travel poorly and saw none of UCLA @ Kentucky today, but it sounds like it was a pretty nice win for UCLA especially after sucking against Cincinnati last week.  Maybe they'll be OK after all.

Think both teams are thoroughly mediocre. This is Cal's worst Kentucky team.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Think both teams are thoroughly mediocre. This is Cal's worst Kentucky team.

He has no one half as talented as Nerlens Noel, but this team is structured better than 2013, so I’m not prepared to make that statement yet.

Archived