NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

5 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

In roughly 3 weeks, Kentucky travels to WVU Coliseum for an epic road test.  I'm thinking there is time yet to devise some sort of friendly wager including @Rhom, @Michael Seswatha Jordan, @S John, and myself. ;) 

I approve of this plan.  Though as I said previously I can’t really remember a time that I looked at the upcoming games and didn’t see an obvious win.  This is me right now when it comes to WVU basketball:

https://imgflip.com/i/7loyt

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

LSU hits a long three at the buzzer to send aTm to 0-3 in the conference.

The SEC is stronger than I can remember in ten years.

Tremont Waters actually hit 2 of them with 15 seconds to get the win. Weirdly I heard a rumor today (from a dude who used to coach him in middle school) that he decommitted from Gtown after Thompson was fired because they refused to pay his family the $100K the school originally agreed on. Supposedly that's when LSU swooped in with that same amount. But rumors are rumors so who really knows? Either way the kid is a stud.

33 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

#1 Sparty has dug themselves a 23 point hole with about 13 minutes to go down in Columbus. Will be interesting to see if the Buckeyes can hold the door shut.

Buckeyes never let up, impresseive D effort gives them a double digit W.

Wow, every single team ranked ahead of us lost at least one game this week (Az State lost 2) while WVU logged a second top 10 victory.  I wonder where we will be ranked.  I’m thinking 4.  Will definitely jump ASU, and probably jump Xavier.  Not sure we will pass Duke, MSU, and Villanova.

Edit:  have to amend that, Nova loss was technically last week.  But I could see WVU as high as #2 behind Nova.  A lofty perch that the rest of the conference will be itching to knock us down from.  

45 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Just awful to hear that.

Ah.  Hate that.  Hope it’s an early diagnosis and they are able to treat it.

Just lost a young man in my church last year that had played for the Packers/Broncos to Leukemia.  Healthy young guy in prime physical shape.  The Big C does not discriminate. :( 

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Ah.  Hate that.  Hope it’s an early diagnosis and they are able to treat it.

Even if they can, the poor kid's life as he's known it is over.  Hopefully he can get back to playing basketball, mostly because that would mean he kicked cancer's ass.

6 hours ago, S John said:

Yea terrible about Jones.  I was at the game tonight and definitely one of the best environments I’ve seen at the Frank Erwin Center. 

I bet!  That was a huge win.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I bet!  That was a huge win.

Yea, I thought Texas was toast when Bamba went out.  Without fear of Bamba TCU fed Brodziansky down low on a couple of plays and I thought that was going to be it, but ultimately somehow UT pulled it out.  Perhaps a little luck involved that Fisher bricked that last second layup, but I'm glad Texas won, particularly in light of the Jones news that came out yesterday.  Both TCU and Texas will be tough outs for the Mountaineers, though I scouted several deficiencies in both squads.  :ph34r: 

To be honest, just from the eye test, I thought TCU looked like they were probably the better team.  Texas got hot from 3 at the beginning of the game to put them in a hole but then kept going back to chucking up 3's even after they went cold allowing TCU back in it.  They often struggled to get the ball down low to Bamba which I just do not understand.  The guy has got like 8ft long arms!  They did have some nice plays under the basket but I don't understand why they don't just pound teams down low for 40 minutes and instead go through spells of ill-advised perimeter shooting.  I also felt that a lot of UT's baskets, especially late in the game, were prayers thrown up deep into the shot clock that they were very lucky to have go in and UT is generally sloppy with the ball.  I can't help but think they are going to struggle mightily with teams like WVU and Texas Tech and Baylor (who they did lose to), but they definitely have the talent and the size that if they put together a solid game they can beat anyone in the conference. 

And the other thing of note on UT is that for the majority of the game UT did an absolutely abysmal job of guarding the perimeter and TCU made them pay for it.  I don't know if the strategy is to kinda dare teams to shoot 3 because driving means facing getting stuffed by Bamba, but I've now watched live 2 opponents crush UT from 3 point land (Kansas being the other one).  After a while its just like... dude, chase those guys off the line, get in someones face.  I think in a lot of cases daring someone to beat you from three can work but when you're getting killed make some adjustments.  I didn't really feel like they put pressure on TCU's shooters until overtime. 

I wonder if the Big XII will start enforcing their no court storming policy after another fan was punched after assaulting an opposing team's player?  Eh, who am I kidding, there's a zero percent chance of that happening.  I do think it's hilarious how WVU are railing against storming the court.  Let's see if it happens yet again in Morgantown tomorrow (after their home cooking inevitably gives us diarrhea).

12 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It looked a little difficult to make out, I couldnt catch the part where there was any assault by fans?

Well more battery than assault.  So, does that make him batteried or battered?  One player was hit in the back/shoulder by a fan running by, and then three WVU go after (the wrong) fan.  Did they mean to hit him?  I don't know, only the person that did it does.  But hitting someone from behind when their emotions are heightened is never a smart thing.

Archived