NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

7 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Way to go out on a limb there oh seer or seers, prognosticator of prognosticators.  Why don't you tell us who will win?

It's not going out on a limb to predict the team that has won 13 straight years and is currently in 1st place won't win it?

14 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's not going out on a limb to predict the team that has won 13 straight years and is currently in 1st place won't win it?

Not when we have played poorly for the first part of the year, lost twice in AFH (once to a conference opponent that has never won there), and are playing with 8 scholarship player, one of whom became eligible after the start of the conference season because he graduated high school early.  You sound like one of the talking heads that predicts we won't win the conference even during those seasons when we're the obvious favorite, just so at the end of the season, if they were right, they can come back and say "look what I said [and how smart I am]!"  At least they pick another horse, and don't just bet on the field.

19 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Not when we have played poorly for the first part of the year, lost twice in AFH (once to a conference opponent that has never won there), and are playing with 8 scholarship player, one of whom became eligible after the start of the conference season because he graduated high school early.  You sound like one of the talking heads that predicts we won't win the conference even during those seasons when we're the obvious favorite, just so at the end of the season, if they were right, they can come back and say "look what I said [and how smart I am]!"  At least they pick another horse, and don't just bet on the field.

So if I predicted that Kansas would make it as far as their NCAA seed indicated they should you'd say the same thing?

On 1/19/2018 at 8:26 AM, sperry said:

So if I predicted that Kansas would make it as far as their NCAA seed indicated they should you'd say the same thing?

I would ask how often any Big XII team lives up to their seeding? I honestly don't know, but that would be interesting to run the numbers one day when I'm board. I'm pretty confident that KU would meet or exceed the conference average. It's also very difficult to meet your seeding when you're a 1 seed every freaking year.  What I would really wonder about though, is why you're asking a question about the ncaa tournament when we're talking about the conference regular season.  Deflect much?

Double nut punch today...

First the second best player in the country decides to go to Duke where he will be the third best forward on the team.

Then Florida steals one at Rupp.

:crying: 

Kentucky Fans:  “I’m tired of this one and done.  Cal needs to get some guys who will stick around.”

Also Kentucky fans:  “I wish Cal could get guys like Zion Williamson”

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Kentucky Fans:  “I’m tired of this one and done.  Cal needs to get some guys who will stick around.”

Kentucky fans are idiots for the most part.  I know lots of smart and accomplished folks who spew utter nonsense when they start talking UK sports.  (Not sure if it's like that at other schools... maybe so). 

These are the same fans who want to fire any football coach who doesn't win an SEC championship at Kentucky in his first 5 years :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Kentucky fans are idiots for the most part.  I know lots of smart and accomplished folks who spew utter nonsense when they start talking UK sports.  (Not sure if it's like that at other schools... maybe so). 

These are the same fans who want to fire any football coach who doesn't win an SEC championship at Kentucky in his first 5 years :rolleyes:

I really think pretty much every school that cares about athletics has a sizeable number of idiot fans.  Some places are a little above or a little below the mean in percentage of morons, but there’s plenty of nuts in all of them.  

On 1/21/2018 at 0:58 AM, Rhom said:

Cal has got to shift gears. He had a great run where he was able to take advantage of the stupidity of guys like Coach K, Roy Williams and Self who had decided that 1 and done guys weren't worth the hassle. Those guys have wisened up, and Cal can't just get 4 of the top 10 players every year.

19 minutes ago, sperry said:

Cal has got to shift gears. He had a great run where he was able to take advantage of the stupidity of guys like Coach K, Roy Williams and Self who had decided that 1 and done guys weren't worth the hassle. Those guys have wisened up, and Cal can't just get 4 of the top 10 players every year.

It also doesn’t help that Cal’s best recruiting assistant (Orlando Antigua) left right around the same time Capel returned to Duke.

Most of the recruiting experts I read put Dukes recent dominance at the feet of Capel.

Somehow they have become the “cool” school.  I miss the days of them being just the place where derpy white kids went to slap the floor.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Somehow they have become the “cool” school.  I miss the days of them being just the place where derpy white kids went to slap the floor.

I cannot and will not accept that Duke is the 'cool' school.  

Calipari commenting on K's recruiting tactics:

“I refuse to go in a home and paint a picture saying things like, ‘If you come with us you’ll be taken care of for the rest of your life by the program and by our alums,’ even though you may only be in school for a year or two. How preposterous does that sound? What if I say that same thing and the young man decides to transfer for one reason or another? Does that still hold true that we’re going to take care of them the rest of their lives? Our approach is to give them the fishing rod and the lures to help them catch fish, not to just give you the fish,” he wrote.

Bolden got laid out at the end of the half!  Konate and West have to warn him.  That was brutal; we'll see if he returns in the second half or if he's pulled out for a concussion.  

Archived