NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

37 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Do you think we even get in if we end up with only one significant win?

Dunno... losing out is an actual possibility.  Obviously, I don't think that happens.

Our RPI is actually still pretty solid.

I don't think we lose out, but I'm not hopeful to win any of the more meaningful games against Bama, Auburn, or Florida.  WVU will be the only solid win on our resume, with about a .500 record in conference play.  Maybe the RPI and rest of the league carries us in as a low seed... but hopefully I'm wrong and we can win one or more of those games.

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

I don't think we lose out, but I'm not hopeful to win any of the more meaningful games against Bama, Auburn, or Florida.  WVU will be the only solid win on our resume, with about a .500 record in conference play.  Maybe the RPI and rest of the league carries us in as a low seed... but hopefully I'm wrong and we can win one or more of those games.

VaTech is not a bad win.  UofL was trending up until the last week or so.

Did St. John’s get bitten by a radioactive basketball or something?  Duke and Nova back to back for a team that will not make the tournament - pretty nuts.  

Several notable upsets today with Auburn, Purdue, and Nova all going down.

also UVA in the drivers seat for #1.  Hope they stay there as that’s our elite win.  OU x2 is pretty good but that UVA win is aging like a fine wine.  Need to take out Kansas and/or TTU though to pad the ‘ol resume for seeding.  KU really stole one in Morgantown to my vast dismay, and they haven’t been a juggernaut at home like in past years  but it’s still not going to be easy to win there.  Don’t know if we’ll get em this year unless it’s in the Big 12 tournament.  On the other hand I have a good feeling about Texas Tech in Morgantown though.  We should have beaten them in Lubbock and the officials were particularly bad in that game.  I don’t like to complain about the refs but that game was one where I felt that they had undue influence.  I do not think Tech is better than WVU, and hopefully the gods of basketball won’t curse me with a Tech sweep of WVU for saying that.

Gah!  What a year for Kentucky to be weak!  Teams like SJU rising up to take down Duke and Nova.  OKState beats Kansas.  No one is a clear favorite!

I'm sure Gonzaga fans are sick thinking that they peaked a year too early.

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Gah!  What a year for Kentucky to be weak!  Teams like SJU rising up to take down Duke and Nova.  OKState beats Kansas.  No one is a clear favorite!

I'm sure Gonzaga fans are sick thinking that they peaked a year too early.

Yea this years NCAA tournament should be pretty interesting.  We could see the blue bloods rise to the top when the chips are down or we could have 2 or 3 2017 South Carolina type's in the Final Four.  Either scenario feels just as likely to me at this point.  

So I just got tickets to the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tourney in Dallas. I'm pretty excited and hope I get some half decent matchups. This is also my first time in Texas so any barbecue/steak recommendations in the area would be welcome. 

The alma mater Murray State is on CBS Sports Network tonight against Austin Peay.  It’s a rare treat to see them on TV.

Coach McMahan has them looking pretty good this year.  Auburn actually played at Murray earlier this year and the Racers hung with them to the very end.  Have hopes they can win the OVC tourney this year and get back to the dance.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

So I just got tickets to the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tourney in Dallas. I'm pretty excited and hope I get some half decent matchups. This is also my first time in Texas so any barbecue/steak recommendations in the area would be welcome. 

I live in Austin but I’ve got some family that live up north of Dallas.  I’ll try to remember to ask around.  Hard to go wrong with TX bbq though.  If you haven’t had the real deal before you are in for a treat.  

Along the same lines, the Final Four is in San Antonio this year which is only about 1hr 15min from Austin so it’d be a great year for the Mountaineers to make it that far.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

My sister lives in Dallas. I'll ask her for some spots and send you a PM.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

UCLA is about to win @ Arizona which is the best possible win in conference one can have in the Pac-12 this year, and they're doing it going away.  This comes off of that nice win over USC last Saturday.  All of the sudden I could envision this team making some noise in the tournament.  It hinges on the freshman.  Aaron Holiday and Thomas Welsch are consistent.  Kris Wilkes and Jaylen Hands, the top frosh, have been inconsistent, but they're freshman.  Tonight they played really well and it rounds out the team so nicely.  If they have one of those freshman seasons where all of the sudden it's starting to click down the stretch it will be a big shot in the arm.  We shall see.

Was thinking about this a little the other day and a low-seeded UCLA is something nobody is going to want to see in their region.  

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Truth

Whoever is telling him to even contemplate this should be fired. The school/consulting doctor, Martin, his freaking dad - it doesn't matter. They should lose their job, and Porter should never speak with them again. If he does extremely well, he may improve his draft position by one or two spots. If he doesn't acclimate quickly he will only hurt his draft position,if doesn't acclimate at all (it's freaking February already), or if in the worst case scenario he gets hurt again he could literally be out $10M+. The thought of playing this year should be as present for him as my current thoughts on the crap I took on November 4th, 1997. Non-fucking-exsistent!

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I only saw the final minutes, but that seemed like a brutal loss for WVU.  I didn't realize how incredibly bunched up the Big 12 standings are.

There's about as big a West Coast Conference game as you'd ever see today with Gonzaga and St. Mary's ranked 11 and 12 nationally.  

It's a meat grinder. No great teams, but everyone has a pulse.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:39 PM, Ramsay B. said:

That's awesome!  Hope you get some good games

Archived