NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

God what an infuriating loss.  Prevent offense at the end, started trying to drain clock way to early instead of running offense.  And 35-2 free throw disparity.  Wtf. Not going to win a lot of games if you can’t get to the line.  

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

So I'm watching UT @ OU and am reminded that the Shaka Smart time at UT is still a pretty major failure.  They're 15-11 bit 5-8 in conference and might easily miss the tourney despite having one of the top pro prospects in Bamba.  He and Brad Stevens have sure gone in opposite directions since they were the two most coveted up-and-coming coaches.  Must be agonizing for UT fans to have had this happen in hoops just like in football where Charlie Strong similarly seemed like a great hire only to see it just not work out.  And Tom Herman with a disappointing first year too.  This school has no reason not to be great at sports.

Going to attend Oregon @ UCLA tonight, first live game this year for me.  Both teams have a path to the tourney but aren't quite guaranteed.  At least one site tells me that Oregon's Troy Brown who was a 5 star is still a first round pick even though he's not done much this year.  UCLA might lose their top four players.  Welsch is a senior and Holiday will almost certainly leave.  Their two freshman Wilkes and Hands have not exactly lit it up, but the LA Times thinks there's a solid chance that either of them bolt anyway.  

Chris Beard at Texas Tech is a UT alum. You have to imagine they'd love to jettison Shaka and scoop him up.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Chris Beard at Texas Tech is a UT alum. You have to imagine they'd love to jettison Shaka and scoop him up.

He’s taken what was a very mediocre Tubby Smith team and may very well knock Kansas from their perch.  (And Tubby is likely to get fired from Memphis.)

Hes been very impressive.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

He’s taken what was a very mediocre Tubby Smith team and may very well knock Kansas from their perch.  (And Tubby is likely to get fired from Memphis.)

Hes been very impressive.

They might want to see how he can do after he's been there awhile before they even consider poaching a conference mates head coach - this is his fifth head coaching position in seven years (not counting the three weeks he spent at UNLV).  And he spent 10 years as an assistant coach at Tech, so Texas might not even be able to hire him away even if they tried.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Maybe so on Beard, but Shaka is a disaster.

I’m not too impressed with Shaka either.  I think he’s had enough time for that team to develop something of an identity and they certainly get the talent necessary to compete for conference championships.  The results have been pretty sub par so far.  I give Shaka a little bit of room for this year considering the Jones situation, and I think he surely deserves another year to get it together, but Texas absolutely should be better than they are.

As for whether Beard would actually jump for Texas, maybe depends on whether or not he would rather live in Lubbock or Austin.  I’ve often thought that it doesn’t matter much where you live if you are making D1 coaching money, but Lubbock is really damn remote and not a lot of scenery or outdoor activities nearby to make up for it that remoteness.  Just speaking for myself, without family ties I’d have a hard time living in Lubbock.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Plus I have to think that Austin is on the short list of best places to live.  

I didn't realize how much Oklahoma is also in danger of possibly missing the tourney.  With all the Tre Young hype and all, but they're just 16-10 with a 6-8 league record and not too likely to win tonight in Lawrence it's looking like.

ETA:  Holy shit, Lunardi right now has only two Pac-12 teams making the tourney.  Arizona at a 4 seed and ASU at an 8 seed.  I am not too high on the league this year, but that's harsh.  ETA2:  Three of the first four out are Pac-12.

Yea for D1 coaching spots Austins gotta be up there.  There’s only maybe 20ish major conference programs in cities of half a million plus (even less than that for football) and Austin might be one of the only ones without competition from pro sports.  Actually can’t think of another one off the top of my head that fits both criteria.

what happened to ASU anyway?  They really went on an unexpected trajectory after their hot start.

UofL is making a major announcement in four minutes... no one seems to know what it is.  

I'm skipping a meeting just on the off chance it could be something every blue blooded kid who grew up in Kentucky has dreamed of...

@MisterOJ @Ded As Ned

I know that schaudenfreud is an ugly, ugly emotion... but I can’t begin to tell you how happy this makes me.  All the years of “Pay Pal Cal” and “Better hang those banners with Velcro” is all coming to fruition.  The trashy patient who sat in my office and went on a tirade about the “thugs” at UK while UofL recruited kids who were quality.  All of those things have paid off today!

Today, I celebrate and it’s a petty, small thing to do... but I rejoice.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

@MisterOJ @Ded As Ned

I know that schaudenfreud is an ugly, ugly emotion... but I can’t begin to tell you how happy this makes me.  All the years of “Pay Pal Cal” and “Better hang those banners with Velcro” is all coming to fruition.  The trashy patient who sat in my office and went on a tirade about the “thugs” at UK while UofL recruited kids who were quality.  All of those things have paid off today!

Today, I celebrate and it’s a petty, small thing to do... but I rejoice.

Hah, hah. I hear you. I'm a little surprised that they're making them take the banner down. 

Western has never taken down their 1971 Final Four banner. If I was Louisville, I wouldn't take mind down until the NCAA made Western take theirs down.

It will be interesting to see who the first program to just tell the NCAA to go pound rocks will be. Some programs, like North Carolina, have likely done so behind the scenes, resulting in minimal NCAA punishments for pretty egregious cheating. But will be interesting when somebody finally tells the NCAA that they're a zero value-add and they can go fuck themselves.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Hah, hah. I hear you. I'm a little surprised that they're making them take the banner down. 

Western has never taken down their 1971 Final Four banner. If I was Louisville, I wouldn't take mind down until the NCAA made Western take theirs down.

I saw some posters on Card Chronicle (I only lurk... I never requested to post there... I don't want that on my SB Nation profile!) suggested take the "NCAA" off the banner and just hang one that says "2013 National Champion."

While I'm sure it would piss off the NCAA... I'm not sure they are wrong with the idea.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

It will be interesting to see who the first program to just tell the NCAA to go pound rocks will be. Some programs, like North Carolina, have likely done so behind the scenes, resulting in minimal NCAA punishments for pretty egregious cheating. But will be interesting when somebody finally tells the NCAA that they're a zero value-add and they can go fuck themselves.

I think the UNC case will be a major factor in any future breakaway of the Power 5 schools.  Because honestly, if you can't enforce the "student" part of the "student athlete" you have spent millions to promote with advertising campaigns, then what use are you?

11 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Speaking of WKU... an alum friend of mine told me tonight that with UofL’s forfeits; the Toppers are now the second winningest team in the state. :lol: 

And that hurts for me to admit as a Murray State guy.

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

I don't have a great explanation for why ASU came back to earth so hard.  They actually had some nice wins in their undefeated preseason including Xavier and Kansas.  What's baffling though is that Lunardi has them as an 8 while having none of the teams bunched up with them even making it.  ASU is 19-7 with those aforementioned wins as their best wins.  UCLA is 19-8 with wins over Kentucky and Arizona.  And UCLA has a way better record in league.  I can see the argument that ASU has a better resume, but it's hard to see how these resumes are so distant that one is an 8 and one isn't even in.

Y'all's hate of Louisville is beautiful to behold.  Not that I really have anything against them.  It's just inspiring how much you hate them.  

I don't closely follow the PAC-12 at all, but surely UCLA is a tournament team... Lunardi has some head-scratching seeding in there for sure.  Kentucky is back up to a 6 which I feel like we are more of an 8-9 seed (if that).  If we win out and get it together then maybe we're in the 4-6 seed area, but winning out is a slim possibility.  UK did play much better last night, especially after falling behind 11-0 early to Arkansas.  Was nice to see them fight back and not just buckle under the hostile environment.  

As to Louisville... I heard on the radio they quietly took down the banners yesterday.  Inside I'm smiling and gloating, but I keep a straight face because Karma's a real bitch.  Plus it's kind of stupid... Michigan doesn't suddenly get awarded a championship for 2013.  Players aren't asked to give rings back.  Nobody is going to pretend the games weren't played.  Although maybe UCF will want to claim the 2013 title and hang themselves a banner.

I think it would be great if Michigan students made a banner looking exactly like Lousvilles, and crossed out their name and wrote in Michigan.

Also, how much do you Pitino haters love that tattoo he got!?!?!? NCAA 2013 champ!!! Not anymore fella.

10 hours ago, dbunting said:

I think it would be great if Michigan students made a banner looking exactly like Lousvilles, and crossed out their name and wrote in Michigan.

Also, how much do you Pitino haters love that tattoo he got!?!?!? NCAA 2013 champ!!! Not anymore fella.

I thought the tattoo was comical back when he first got it... but now the irony is rich!  Also would be great if Michigan did that :)

Archived