NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

Big Blue Madness is later tonight.  I assume Late Night at the Phog and other such events are also being held.  The start of the season is upon us and we were at Page 21.

Sadly, other events are overshadowing the start of the season.  The FBI investigation is looming, fans everywhere outside Chapel Hill are questioning what "student athlete" really means.  Despite MFC's request to move on from UNC, its the main story of the day so I had to share this interesting breakdown I read from a judge who posts at another website I frequent:

The NCAA found that it could have punished UNC for this, and would have but for one thing: UNC now says there was no fraud. I just skimmed the report, and the upshot is that the NCAA allowed UNC to recant its confessions of academic fraud. It all came down to UNC lawyers dramatically changing their tune in front of the Infractions Committee after UNC had initially delivered a sorrowful mea culpa and after SACS, the accreditor, had found academic fraud, which led to the probationary period it handed down.  Here’s the crux, in my opinion, at page 18:

But given UNC’s early admissions, its implementation of corrective measures and its recent distancing of itself from the Cadwalader report, the panel concludes that it is more likely than not that student-athletes received fraudulent credit by the common understanding of what thatterm means. It is also more likely than not that UNC personnel used the courses to purposely obtain and maintain student-athletes’ eligibility. These strong possibilities, however, are not the operative or controlling starting points to the membership’s academic fraud analysis. What ultimately matters is what UNC says about the courses.

And just down the page:

UNC has offered two diametrically opposed characterizations of the courses, seemingly dependent on the venue.

What UNC’s lawyers most recently said is: "Pay no attention to our earlier confessions. We vehemently deny any academic fraud. Although SACS found otherwise, we claim these classes were on the up and up and violated no university rules or policies. Yeah, that’s the ticket! We’re innocent."

NCAA: "Well, okay."

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I assume Late Night at the Phog and other such events are also being held.

Shit, we had ours two weeks ago.

imo, the NCAA just gave everybody a license to cheat.  Had Pitino hired some strippers for some kids on normal college visits, and bribed some academic scholars to go to Louisville everything would be peachy there right now.  How long until the NCAA fails?  Or really I should ask, how long until the power schools/conferences say screw the NCAA and their arbitrary rules and random rulings and form another system of their own?  Although, them going soft on UNC my stave that off for awhile longer - they didn't want to upset such a powerful school.

1 minute ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Shit, we had ours two weeks ago.

Its all gotten so confusing with the earlier start to the practice schedule.  I know it was previously the first day practice was allowed, then there were some odd changes and now its all over the place.  I remember when it would sometimes fall on Halloween.

This article is another good example of why the NCAA is a joke. 

North Carolina got off, again, because it successfully argued that members of the general student body accepted the same benefits as its student-athletes -- the point being that whatever inappropriate things happened were never intended to solely benefit student-athletes, and that they never actually did solely benefit student-athletes. Fine. But does that mean a booster could lay $50,000 on a table, and as long as a basketball player and a non-basketball player both picked some of it up no violations have occurred? Could you argue that the $50,000 was never intended to solely benefit student-athletes, and that it never actually did solely benefit student-athletes? I'll tell you one thing: I'd sure as hell try. Because that general defense just worked for North Carolina.

That is straight up ridiculous.  The inconsistency of the NCAA punishments is just staggering.  Reggie Bush's father talks to an agent?  10 years of sanctions for USC.  UNC has fraudulent classes for a full decade?  Nothing we can do.  

For years, I have come to actually appreciate the cutthroat honesty of the NFL and NBA over the rank hypocrisy of the NCAA.  The pro teams at least admit it's just a meat market and everybody has to look out for themselves.  The NCAA always tries to act so sanctimonious.  "These aren't athletes, they're student-athletes."  Barf.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Its all gotten so confusing with the earlier start to the practice schedule.  I know it was previously the first day practice was allowed, then there were some odd changes and now its all over the place.  I remember when it would sometimes fall on Halloween.

Coach used to make a big deal out of Late Night, bringing in half to a full dozen's worth of kids on official visits with tons of underclassmen on unofficials.  Just a big spectacle.  This year he decided to try things differently and bring in the top targets in for official visits either all on their own, or in groups of two max.  And before the early signing period we have 3 top 40 commits with Devon Dotson committing an hour ago, I am loving this shift.  We'll still probably be waiting for one in the spring, but that's much less stressful than all of the late commits we've been getting the past 4-5 years.

BBM was exactly what I have come to expect.  Hard to know much obviously, but this team is long.  Penetrating this defense with a pass will be challenging for teams.

Hope Jared Vanderbilt gets healthy, I was really excited to see him play.

I’m ready for the season to start!

Hah I totally forgot about Big Blue Madness Friday night, but caught the rerun yesterday once the football games were over.  I think Cal mentions Drake about 20 too many times (but maybe that works with the recruits?), and I was impressed he worked every single one of his catch phrases into his speech.  Nice work.

As to the actual ball... meh.  Cal's right that this team will be ugly early in the season.  Kansas will probably embarrass us the 2nd game.  If Vanderbilt can't play this could very well turn out to be another 2013, imo.  But it's hard to tell much just from an exhibition. 

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Hah I totally forgot about Big Blue Madness Friday night, but caught the rerun yesterday once the football games were over.  I think Cal mentions Drake about 20 too many times (but maybe that works with the recruits?), and I was impressed he worked every single one of his catch phrases into his speech.  Nice work.

As to the actual ball... meh.  Cal's right that this team will be ugly early in the season.  Kansas will probably embarrass us the 2nd game.  If Vanderbilt can't play this could very well turn out to be another 2013, imo.  But it's hard to tell much just from an exhibition. 

Not a chance.  Quade Green is no Ryan Harrow.  I think the analogy you are looking for is 2014.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Remember... it’s not a lie if you believe it

I always wanted to sit in on one of those lie detector tests and ask a few questions about Melrose Place...

But seriously, Pitino is fucking laughable in that interview. Just go away douche.

Archived