NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Vandy has been on a roll lately.

Both Drew brothers are gonna want to stress the importance of free throws in closing minutes.

Both the importance of not giving them to their opponents and making them themselves.  Drews gonna Drew.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I had to leave for work when the Vandy dude who hadn't missed all night was going to the line with 6 seconds. Did he miss one, or did Kentucky hit a 3?

Nevermind, I just read about it. Was it a legit foul call? 

It was legit, but dumb.

There was a scramble for the ball.  If the dude lets Gilgeous-Alexander have it, there’s only room for a desperation heave.  Instead, he runs into him from the side.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

It was legit, but dumb.

There was a scramble for the ball.  If the dude lets Gilgeous-Alexander have it, there’s only room for a desperation heave.  Instead, he runs into him from the side.

I am so glad y'all won that game. 

Every time Bryce Drew smirks, God smites a kitten. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Rhom said:

You cheat and you’re still terrible!!!!

This investigation smells fishy to me. Leaks coming out that the NCAA is investigating recruiting practices of UCONN in general. This includes interviews and inquiries of people who never committed to UCONN. It looks like a sweeping net to catch UCONN in violations. The most disturbing part is NCAA is building a case on what other universities are saying about UCONN. UCONN hasn't been contacted or interviewed so everything is one sided. This investigation has been going on over four months, right about the time the FBI brought the hammer down. The NCAA wants to show they can still police college sports. UCONN isn't P5. UCONN still has prestige despite sucking since the championship in 2014. I also can't help the NCAA is still stewing over  what Shabazz Napier said after the championship game either.  Not to mention Mark Emmert and his history with UCONN. Just google Emmert and UCONN 2000.

4 hours ago, sainttriple7 said:

This investigation smells fishy to me. Leaks coming out that the NCAA is investigating recruiting practices of UCONN in general. This includes interviews and inquiries of people who never committed to UCONN. It looks like a sweeping net to catch UCONN in violations. The most disturbing part is NCAA is building a case on what other universities are saying about UCONN. UCONN hasn't been contacted or interviewed so everything is one sided. This investigation has been going on over four months, right about the time the FBI brought the hammer down. The NCAA wants to show they can still police college sports. UCONN isn't P5. UCONN still has prestige despite sucking since the championship in 2014. I also can't help the NCAA is still stewing over  what Shabazz Napier said after the championship game either.  Not to mention Mark Emmert and his history with UCONN. Just google Emmert and UCONN 2000.

I just don't see why Mark Emmert would have a vendetta against Uconn though? I remember reading about the Uconn 2000 thing years ago(and don't remember all the details) and it seemed like he got out just fine and left everyone else with the mess. His career didn't suffer at all as he just kept rising up the ladder. Was there some more shit that went down or something?

I am a biased Uconn fan and hope some crazy conspiracy comes to light that the NCAA is just plain trying to fuck the program, but at the end of the day I feel the obvious answer is that we're just not as good at cheating as other programs. They really have to up their game up in that department and I'm not at all kidding. Also just drop the shit football program and get to a decent conference... after firing Ollie of course. 

Interesting numbers discussion on UVA over on my favorite UK website this morning following their win over UofL last night. Louisville shot 50% from the floor and 44% from three... and lost by 10!  They turned the ball over 13 times, which seems fairly low until you realize they only managed 60 possessions!  They managed 1.07 PPP against UVA which is well above the Cavs average and still lost by 10.

This from John Gassaway

"The Cavaliers are holding conference opponents to 0.83 points per possession. Not only have we never seen a number that low from this or any other team over the past decade in ACC play, Tony Bennett’s defense is extraordinary and possibly historic even when controlling for strength of schedule.

"Opposing offenses have coughed up the ball on 25 percent of their offensive trips. Couple that with a tempo dialed in at 60 possessions per 40 minutes, and you can see that opponents are put under enormous pressure to make every single scoring opportunity count."

The argument against UVA has always been that they are susceptible to a hot shooting team:

"In effect, an opponent’s going to get, on average, just 45 chances to score in a game against Virginia."

What’s hot shooting? 50%?

That would be 22.5 made shots. If all the mades are 3s (impossible), that’s a 67.5 point ceiling. Virginia is averaging 69.2 points per game.

Things can change, but it looks like Virginia well enter the ACCT with 1 loss overall (WVU) and 0 conference losses. Their toughest remaining league game is at Louisville.  :stunned: 

This might be the year that I actually take UVA to advance.

22 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Interesting numbers discussion on UVA over on my favorite UK website this morning following their win over UofL last night. Louisville shot 50% from the floor and 44% from three... and lost by 10!  They turned the ball over 13 times, which seems fairly low until you realize they only managed 60 possessions!  They managed 1.07 PPP against UVA which is well above the Cavs average and still lost by 10.

This from John Gassaway

The argument against UVA has always been that they are susceptible to a hot shooting team:

What’s hot shooting? 50%?

That would be 22.5 made shots. If all the mades are 3s (impossible), that’s a 67.5 point ceiling. Virginia is averaging 69.2 points per game.

Things can change, but it looks like Virginia well enter the ACCT with 1 loss overall (WVU) and 0 conference losses. Their toughest remaining league game is at Louisville.  :stunned: 

This might be the year that I actually take UVA to advance.

They still are susceptible to a hot shooting night. You mentioned Louisville's shooting numbers, but UVA's were absurd. 54% from the field and 56% from 3. You aren't beating a team that makes 56% of their 3s.

As has always been the case with UVA, when you limit the number of possessions, you let weaker teams have a chance because of variance in shooting. UVA is still really damn good though, they just play a style of basketball that is not optimal for success in a 1 and done tournament.

6 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

And our remaining road schedule is @Texas Tech, and the three at the bottom of the conference this season: ISU, Baylor, and OSU.

:stunned: 

Big Baller Brand is starting to contact recruits.

According to Tipton Edits, UK signee Tyler Herro is among a host of recruits being contacted by what’s now being called the Junior Basketball Association (JBA). They’ve also reportedly contacted Vanderbilt signee (and former UK recruit) Simi Shittu, as well as Kansas signee Devon Dotson and Stanford signee Cormac Ryan.

Thus far. all of them have declined invites to the league, which is probably going to be the case with most recruits, as playing in college is much more beneficial to their careers.

Duke loses to a 10-13 St. Johns team?  

KU loses at home again.

UCLA really needs a quality win against USC at home today.  USC is actually one shot away from being on a nine game winning streak.  Enfield had settled in pretty nicely there after a rough few years.  

UK - Missouri was probably the ugliest game I've watched all year.  Just can't wrap my head around this team. Calipari constantly subbing guys in and out didn't help things either in my eyes.  Nobody could get in the flow of the game.  Missouri should have won by 20, but they refused to take advantage of anything until the last 10 minutes.

Calipari needs to settle on a rotation and go with it, for better or worse.  Or find another "tweak"

Well if there's one thing I didn't expect after losing 5 of 6 its turning around and beating K State by 38 and then completing the sweep of the fightin' Trae Young's in Norman in their only home loss of the season.  Especially on that Saturday to Monday turn around where we were previously 0-8 as the road team over the last few seasons.  

The other thing that's weird is that during the 5 losses of the recent skid WVU was beating the three better teams of the 5 by double digits before blowing it in the end, but was never really in the game against the 2 not-quite-as-good teams.  W's against Kansas, Kentucky, and Texas Tech were all within our grasp, but TCU and Iowa State just ran us out of the building.  And stuck in the middle of that downward spiral was a 35 point win over Texas.

WTF WVU, what... what are you?  I feel like the last two games are the return to form after the ugly slide, I hope so anyway.  We still have games remaining against @ Kansas and Texas Tech and are only one game behind them somehow in the conference standings and therefore still not quite out of the hunt for the league title.   

Archived