MLB Postseason: Bye, Cubs, Bye!

Myshkin

Someone stole the bat off the Ken Griffey Junior statue outside Safeco Field. Luckly they have been caught and the bat recovered, but I fear for the perpetrators safety. There is gonna be a lynch mod headed to wherever they are holding the son of a bitch.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Someone stole the bat off the Ken Griffey Junior statue outside Safeco Field. Luckly they have been caught and the bat recovered, but I fear for the perpetrators safety. There is gonna be a lynch mod headed to wherever they are holding the son of a bitch.

Funny, I was just about to mention how the Dodgers stole Chris Taylor from the M’s. They need to get better security.

38 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Funny, I was just about to mention how the Dodgers stole Chris Taylor from the M’s. They need to get better security.

Nah man, can't be mad about that. He was floundering hard as a Mariner, and I think that he would never have figured it out here. It's not like Adam Jones where he was already good when he was traded. Apparently the Dodgers coaching staff were able to really help him out, so it's good that he's able to succeed.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into a pumpkin come next year.

Yeah damn the Dodgers are just dominating the Cubs.  Had the game on in the background while doing (really boring) work, and the Chicago crowd has convinced me I should either go to bed or change the channel.

You know, it's kind of funny that on paper, the Dodgers are very similar to the Yankees of the 90s and 2000s, in so far as they both seem to be trying to buy a championship, but ultimately the Dodgers are lovable where the Yankees were reviled. I wonder if it is because the Dodgers were the drizzling shits for a good while before they got good, or perhaps it is because they largely built from the inside (I know about core 4, but four players does not a 25 man roster make) or through smart trades rather than just throwing insane money at every free agent they could get their hands on. Or maybe it is as simple as they aren't walking around with a stick up their asses and actually allow their players to have a bit of a personality.

Or one final theory, we just haven't heard sports media sucking them off enough that we are sick of hear about them.

40 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

When the second group of prospects arrives and anything less than going 173-0 is seen as failure things get boring.  

Less exciting, but still satisfying, really.

Can Tanaka match Keuchel again today?  I don't even know what to expect at this point.  Odds are something has to give.  But odds were the Yankees wouldn't make it to this point, so who knows.  The Yankees only seemed to have a couple good swings off Keuchel the other night, so I can only hope they put together a better game plan versus him this time.

re: Dodgers 

They are totally loveable! They have some great kids, a ginger hobo, a silver fox, and #Puigyourfriend.

But also, that losing streak coupled with what Cleveland was doing changed everything. Along with the Dodgers performance against the NL West abd their inevitable collision with the Rockies or D'backs. I posted a WaPo link back a few pages where various writers had LA losing in NLDS for the most part. Of course, they also had Cleveland and Washington in the WS. Basically, it's like the Dodgers are the pleasant surprise of the playoffs. Which is bizarre.

And did I mention they are loveable?

I still see a lot of hate for the Dodgers going around. A lot of claims of buying a championship and a lot of rhetoric about them being “classless”, whatever the fuck that means. But it’s true that they’re not as generally reviled as those Yankee teams from the 90’s and early 2000’s. I think it has to do with there being very few big $ free agents on this team. Most everyone on the roster was either drafted, an international signing, traded for, or picked up off the scrap heap. Like those Yanks teams, the Dodgers have spent a shitload of money, but there’s really no one on the field that you can point to and say “of course they’re winning, look how much they paid that mercenary”. The only person on the team who’s really an object of hatred is Yasiel Puig, but that’s only because baseball (and sports media in general) still has a racism problem.

Judge and Sanchez back in the thick of things tonight. I’ve changed my mind about who I want to win this series. I think the Dodgers match up better against the ‘Stros than the Yanks.

Archived