MLB Postseason: Bye, Cubs, Bye!

Myshkin

6 minutes ago, Triskan said:

What a glorious and historic dismantling of The Vile.  There is a lot to be said about "The enemy of my enemy if my friend."  

Oh, and this NLCS was sans Cory Seager who is supposed to be ready to go for the World Series.  

Welcome to the right side of history, Spoono. We will forgive you your Redbird loving past.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Is "KingintheNorth4" your real name, or are you perhaps some poet laureate writing under a pseudonym?  I must know.  

I think you’re onto something here. Adunis’ hatred for all things Chicago is well documented.

6 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Chris Taylor and Justin Turner, two players picked up off the baseball scrap heap, have been named NLCS co-MVPs.

Perfect. When they were talking about Hobo as MVP I felt a case could be made for CT as well. 

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im looking forward to seeing Verlander again. These Strohs wont be going quietly into the night.

The top of Astros order has been a little too quiet, that makes me nervous. Hopefully we get to Verlander early on.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

The top of Astros order has been a little too quiet, that makes me nervous. Hopefully we get to Verlander early on.

The Yankees can beat Verlander, it's not going to be easy but it can be done.  

Turner looks like he should be stealing women beyond the wall. 

57 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The Yankees can beat Verlander, it's not going to be easy but it can be done. 

It seemed (to me) like some guys changed their approaches versus Keuchel, shortening up and getting better swings, so perhaps they can make an adjustment versus Verlander too (although perhaps that is only a perceived difference and Keuchel was just less sharp).

The formula is of course to have Severino make a good start and get into the Astros' bullpen.  So, the big question is, which Serverino do we see and which Houston offense?  But Serverino has yet to really have a dominant sort of game lately, so it seems like a coin flip which is more probable, resurgent Houston batting or a resurgent Serverino.  If I had to bet, it would be on Houston's hitting, but I hope Severino can manage to limit the damage and hopefully keep them to 2-3 runs.

2 hours ago, .H. said:

It seemed (to me) like some guys changed their approaches versus Keuchel, shortening up and getting better swings, so perhaps they can make an adjustment versus Verlander too (although perhaps that is only a perceived difference and Keuchel was just less sharp).

The formula is of course to have Severino make a good start and get into the Astros' bullpen.  So, the big question is, which Serverino do we see and which Houston offense?  But Serverino has yet to really have a dominant sort of game lately, so it seems like a coin flip which is more probable, resurgent Houston batting or a resurgent Serverino.  If I had to bet, it would be on Houston's hitting, but I hope Severino can manage to limit the damage and hopefully keep them to 2-3 runs.

Severino is due for a dominating game. I'd be thrilled if posts a similar line to game two and goes another couple innings or so. The Yankees have a habit this postseason of doing better the second time they see a pitcher. So I'm hopeful they can replicate that against Verlander. Against Keuchel it could have been a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.

19 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Severino is due for a dominating game. I'd be thrilled if posts a similar line to game two and goes another couple innings or so. The Yankees have a habit this postseason of doing better the second time they see a pitcher. So I'm hopeful they can replicate that against Verlander. Against Keuchel it could have been a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.

I'm hopeful too, since we do have guys that have reasonable numbers (career-wise) versus Verlander.  So, the case of regressing toward the mean could certainly be in the Yankee's favor.  Houston's offensive slumber is frightening though, in the sense of wondering when the dragon is going to awaken. 

But like you say, a little of column A, little of column B, it's pretty hard to find how much Houston is just flat slumping or how much Yankee's pitching is just been pretty good.  I do fear that, while Yankees have gotten the benefit of a good bit great pitching, the Astros' hitting has just been sub-par, we can only hope they don't get it together.

Also worrisome is the difference in the Yankee's hitting at home versus on the road, but maybe, just for a game, they can make believe they are at home?

Archived