U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

22 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Mormons are NOT Protestants. With their acceptance of the Book of Mormon as scripture, not to mention several very unusual doctrines, they are a separate branch of Christianity from Catholics, Protestants, or the eastern Orthodox churches. This is something both the Mormons themselves and other Christians would agree on.

I used to live in SLC, some of the Mormons I knew described themselves as Pre-Nicean Christians. I believe they (along with JW's) do not accept the Nicene creed or believe in the Trinity. https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Mormonism_and_the_nature_of_God/Nicene_creed

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mormons believe that men who get enough spiritual credits and converts, get themselves a planet that they are supposed to populate. Their wives are supposed to remain everlastingly pregnant. They choose their wives from those women that they choose from the last lifetime.

Also, their 12 year old boy children are supposed to be priests, outranking any women, including their mothers. Women are subordinates, vying for a place on a heaven planet. They are to be kept busy, so they won't think about that. They are required to fight against anyone who does a little historical research about Joseph Smith and his fraudualant past and homicidal descendants. No, this is real, euww.

6 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mormons believe that men who get enough spiritual credits and converts, get themselves a planet that they are supposed to populate. Their wives are supposed to remain everlastingly pregnant. They choose their wives from those women that they choose from the last lifetime.

Also, their 12 year old boy children are supposed to be priests, outranking any women, including their mothers. Women are subordinates, vying for a place on a heaven planet. They are to be kept busy, so they won't think about that. They are required to fight against anyone who does a little historical research about Joseph Smith and his fraudualant past and homicidal descendants. No, this is real, euww.

Regarding spiritual credits, I witnessed some extremely dedicated tithers, who I believe thought it would curry them favor in an afterlife. Workmates of mine would surrender 10% of their gross to the Latter Day Saints. I couldnt get over that, I rememer asking them whether they couldnt just tithe 10% on the Net, these were virulently anti tax, red staters after all? But nope, 10% on the gross they gladly gave. 

As to the backwardish anti feminist nature of some of the doctrine, i'm certain we could find passages in Timothy and other chapters of the NT and OT that do not seem to align well with a 21st century outlook on feminism. The Mormons wouldnt be alone for this area of criticism.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Mormons are NOT Protestants. With their acceptance of the Book of Mormon as scripture, not to mention several very unusual doctrines, they are a separate branch of Christianity from Catholics, Protestants, or the eastern Orthodox churches. This is something both the Mormons themselves and other Christians would agree on.

Oops, my bad. You are quite correct. Apologies.

34 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that Mormon men are eventually supposed to be the god of their own planet. I have no idea whether or no their wives would be "everlastingly pregnant". That doesn't seem logical or necessary to LDS theology. 

All Mormon (LDS) males are eligible to be ordained to the priesthood at age 12, and the great majority are. Within the church they would outrank women, but given what I know of Mormon culture, I doubt if that means 13 year old boys get to boss their mothers around at home. 

I think your last sentence is overblown. Most LDS members aren't actively "fighting" against critics of Mormonism. Also, none of Joseph Smith's descendants have been "homicidal." His only confirmed descendants are those through his first wife, Emma, and they didn't even become part of the main Mormon denomination, staying behind in the east and founding the Reorganized Latter Day Saint church (which never believed in polygamy) instead. 

There has been much speculation on whether or not Joseph Smith had other children by his other wives, but modern DNA research has so far shown that none of the proposed candidates are his descendants.

If we want to discuss the LDS further, this should be moved to a separate thread outside of US Politics.

A group of psychologists and mental health professionals on Saturday marched through New York calling for President Trump to be removed from office.

The group — which included more than 100 psychologists and mental health professionals — are pushing for Trump to be ousted from his post, according to The New York Post.

“We can sense the power of Trump’s underlying fear that he is worthless and weak by how intensely he resists and retaliated against any criticism,” said Harry Segal, a Cornell University psychologist.

“No matter how minor, he can’t let anything go.”

Michelle Golland, a clinical psychologist, told The New York Post the country is "suffering from his narcissistic personality."

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/355490-psychologists-march-through-ny-to-call-for-trumps-removal?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email&iid=0b07297097f44acf834b2a07e973e1c1&uid=753383798121832448&nid=244+276893704

I know this is cold comfort for the women he victimized, but it does look like the backlash from this scandal is destroying The Weinstein Company...

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/the-weinstein-company-may-be-sold-or-shut-down-entirely.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

24 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

One of Trump's accusers is trying to proceed with legal actio

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/15/politics/trump-campaign-subpoena-sexual-assault-allegations/index.html

I'mnsure FOX with their newfound regard for women's safety will be all over this

Paragon of virtue and morality that they are I'm sure the lack of this story appearing in their site is a honest oversight. 

The Turtle and The Jack O'lantern just held a joint presser. They are best buds. Tax reform, health care, and even welfare reform are for sure on the horizon. And as always, he knows, we knows, everybody knows we need a wall. Russia is a nonstory and he has already been cleared of collusion by someone. Oh and Hillarys position on kneeling shows why she lost and is very disrespectful.

I think the more interesting question is, “What will his presidential library looks like?”

Also, this is pretty funny:

Not much of significance has gotten through this Congress, despite the House, Senate and White House all being controlled by the same party — Republicans.

President Trump says, don't blame him.

"We're not getting the job done. And I'm not going to blame myself, I'll be honest," Trump said during short remarks in a Cabinet meeting.

He then shifted away from "we" to "they."

"They're not getting the job done," the president said of Congress.

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/16/558091752/trump-on-gop-failures-i-m-not-going-to-blame-myself-i-ll-be-honest

Archived