U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

10 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

We were discussing anti feminism and white supremacy. I notice that Ormond is not a moderator, so I can continue. 

Whether or not Ormond is a moderator is utterly irrelevant to whether you can continue.

Let's be clear about this, since this is the second time recently it's come up. If a moderator wants you to stop doing something or talking about something you will know. They will make it very clear that they are speaking as a moderator: that they are moderating, not expressing their own views.

This gets me annoyed because of the implication that nobody is allowed to disagree with moderators on any topic. You can. You can tell any of us we're talking crap and as long as you do it politely, as you have to for anyone else, that's fine.

The suggestion that you have to avoid topics where a mod disagrees with you leads inevitably to a situation where mods have to avoid disagreeing with people and expressing their opinions, in case they end a discussion. That's not how this works. You can engage in discussion with moderators the same as you would with anyone else.

5 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Glad someone else brought this up.  Fucker is younger than me and just about to lead a major European country.  Perhaps this is not just a US/Trump thing, no?

A wider issue in the last decades. Now slowly getting to a boil it seems.

In the Netherlands we keep electing the party of big business in power, while a large proportion of people who don't feel government works for them vote for the xenophobes. And the 'oh shiny outspoken outsider, let's vote for them' has been an issue since the early 2000's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pim_Fortuyn).

45 had a press conference yesterday to let his delusions run wild.

A look at Trump's alternative reality:

• Trump says he and McConnell are "closer than ever before." Both men and their staffs have been trashing each other in public and private for months.
  • Trump says other presidents "didn't make calls" to families of soldiers killed in duty. They did.
  • Trump says Obamacare is "dead." His repeated efforts to repeal it failed.
  • Trump says it's been established that "no collusion" took place with the Russians. Bob Mueller is interrogating the president's associates and advisers on this very point in real time.
  • Trump says he's on a historic pace of accomplishment. He's not.
  • Trump says he "already" has "the votes right now" for a bipartisan health care fix. He doesn't.

Sound smart: The damnedest thing is not a single bullet point I just wrote is disputable — while every one of those things the president said was.

Yesterday's keepers:

• On GOP senators: "I'm not going to blame myself, I'll be honest. They are not getting the job done."
  • "Obamacare is finished. It's dead. It's gone. It's no longer — you shouldn't even mention. It's gone. There is no such thing as Obamacare anymore."
  • On Steve Bannon's war on McConnell and the Republican establishment: "Steve is ... a friend of mine ... I can understand where Steve Bannon is coming from. ... I know how he feels. ... There are some Republicans, frankly, that should be ashamed of themselves."
  • On whether he's considering firing Mueller: "No, not at all."
  • "Oh, I hope Hillary runs. Is she going to run? I hope. Hillary, please run again."

P.S. Bannon tells me by email: "McConnell and the GOP Establishment have sown the wind — now be prepared the reap the whirlwind."

Here.

Ol Turtle just stood there smiling while Trump lied and used dead soldiers to place himself above other presidents. The President should demand that members of Congress wear gimp suits when they appear with him in public, he so thoroughly owns them.

26 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

The President should demand that members of Congress wear gimp suits when they appear with him in public, he so thoroughly owns them.

And kneepads with the Trump logo on them as well.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/17/rand-paul-oppose-senate-gop-budget-243864

Rand Paul says he's a 'No' on the senate budget bill for FY2018 because it calls for breaking the budget caps by $43 billion (all in military spending; though worth noting the breaking won't actually happen because that would require Democratic votes). It's probably not an empty threat either, he voted against the FY2017 budget bill too.

Thad Cochran is now indefinitely staying in Mississippi after originally being scheduled to return to DC this week. In some sense it seems that Trump was right about Cochran, he's probably much sicker than originally reported; even if he's not actually in the hospital.

Which means all it takes is one more no vote to sink the budget bill and therefore block the debate on tax reform/cuts from even starting. It almost certainly won't be Murkowski that does it; even if she opposed the tax reform bill (unlikely), she'd still vote for the budget bill because its the first step to opening ANWR for oil drilling. But if Collins is all-in on bipartisanship now, or McCain decides he's just going to do whatever Trump hates the most (check out his speech last night), or if Corker is serious about not stop any tax plan that raises the deficit, than things are about to get even worse for Republicans.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

It almost certainly won't be Murkowski that does it; even if she opposed the tax reform bill (unlikely), she'd still vote for the budget bill because its the first step to opening ANWR for oil drilling. But if Collins is all-in on bipartisanship now, or McCain decides he's just going to do whatever Trump hates the most (check out his speech last night), or if Corker is serious about not stop any tax plan that raises the deficit, than things are about to get even worse for Republicans.

All three seem quite possible.  Another interesting aspect is both Collins and McCain have historically been opposed to ANWR drilling, particularly in regards to bootstrapping it into budget measures.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Unbelievable that this sort of shit doesn't seem to shake his base at all. You want to bitch about NFL players disrespecting the troops? Go fuck yourself.

JFC.  Reminds me of that South Park where Cartman pretends to have Tourette's then eventually starts saying actually embarrassing things.  Pretty soon, we're gonna find out Trump and his cousin touched wieners.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Unbelievable that this sort of shit doesn't seem to shake his base at all. You want to bitch about NFL players disrespecting the troops? Go fuck yourself.

And then he did this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/17/trump-obama-military-calls-john-kelly-son-243863

5 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

His base believes everything he says, everything said against him or to check him is a malicious lie. So for a number of people, Trump is unique in his concern for the members of gold star families. 

If you come across this on Twitter, I can't see how you can defend it. Are all these Gold Star parents lying? It's crazy to me to even try to defend this. Almost as crazy as telling the lie in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

As far as outright lies go, surely this one falls somewhere near the bottom, yes?  

Yeah, probably, but nothing will come of it, facts no longer matter and Trump has no accountability for anything he says or does.

Today the WH issued a statement saying Obama never called John Kelly when his son died, I won't hold my breath expecting Kelly to ask that his boss not use his son as a political football.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If you come across this on Twitter, I can't see how you can defend it. Are all these Gold Star parents lying? It's crazy to me to even try to defend this. Almost as crazy as telling the lie in the first place. 

Did you see the reply where someone criticized this woman for yelling at one President and disprespecting another's weight?Rationality and decency have no place in a post-Fact world.

14 hours ago, Altherion said:

No. The far-right party in Austria (FPO) only won 26.5% of the vote which meant that they were in 3rd place (although very close to 2nd). The winners of the election are "mainstream" conservatives.

That is true, but not the whole story. The "mainstream" conservative ÖVP took a very sharp turn to the right, and it was basically Kurz (ÖVP) copying Strache (FPÖ) one quite a lot of issues. So to claim it wasn't a victory for the far right, because the far right party finished third and not second is a wee bit dishonest. Especially since both parties will be the next Austrian goverment.

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the more interesting question is, “What will his presidential library looks like?”

Let me channel my inner Donnie Dipshit.

It will be the greatest library, with the best books. It will be over one milion books, all of them copies of The Art of the Deal. And Mexico will pay for it, believe me. And also, on a special request by Mike Pence, there will be a copy of the bible.

Needless to say, there will be a lot of gold used on the interior. Did I say gold? I obviously mean brass. And of course, Mexico will pay for it, obviously.

Archived