U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

He accurately called out Pence's vile homophobia.  

Unfortunately he thought it was hilarious rather than horrifying.  

My answer would have been 'no', but you have the right of it.  

Trump is, predictably because it was a story on morning cable news, began lying and claiming he didn't insult the widow and children of one of the soldiers killed last week:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/10/18/totally-fabricated-trump-disputes-congresswomans-depiction-of-his-exchange-with-soldiers-widow/

President Trump in a tweet Wednesday denied that he had told the widow of a soldier killed in an ambush in Africa this month that her husband “must have known what he signed up for.”

The president was reacting to a Florida congresswoman saying the family of Sgt. La David T. Johnson was “astonished” by that remark during a phone call from Trump on Tuesday. Trump said he has “proof” that the conversation did not happen as recounted by Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D.) He did not elaborate, but the claim again raised questions about whether the president tapes calls and conversations.

Wilson told MSNBC on Wednesday that Johnson's widow, Myeshia, was shaken by the exchange.

“She was crying the whole time, and when she hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part.”

Wilson went on to say Trump “was almost like joking. He said, ‘Well, I guess you knew’ — something to the effect that ‘he knew what he was getting into when he signed up, but I guess it hurts anyway.’ You know, just matter-of-factly, that this is what happens, anyone who is signing up for military duty is signing up to die. That’s the way we interpreted it. It was horrible. It was insensitive. It was absolutely crazy, unnecessary. I was livid.”

“She was in tears. She was in tears. And she said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’”

The widow later, of course, confirmed that no, it totally happened that way.

Everything about this situation is, of course, completely unsurprising.

Our clown show of a president is sure having one hell of a morning on Twitter. He’s careening from accusations of criminal acts to lamenting the lack of forced patriotism with a garnish of raising people’s healthcare costs out of spite.

What a time to be alive…

The more wounded and upset this dumb piece of shit gets, the more he will lash out to hurt people. Life is a zero sum game to this jabbering crook, and he can't feel good unless he's hurt or fucked over someone else. I wish we could just lock him in a stadium with his hardcore supporters so that they can be each other's problems.

40 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The more wounded and upset this dumb piece of shit gets, the more he will lash out to hurt people. Life is a zero sum game to this jabbering crook, and he can't feel good unless he's hurt or fucked over someone else. I wish we could just lock him in a stadium with his hardcore supporters so that they can be each other's problems.

We will need a pretty damn big stadium, since his approval rating is still 30%. 

Also, let's not be so nice as to let the not-so-hardcore Trump supporters off the hook. They knew what they were voting for. The fact that they are now regretful and admit to being wrong doesn't really mean shit, seeing as Agent Orange is already installed in the White House. Their recognition that they picked a wrong person is, as they say, a day late and a mile short. 

11 minutes ago, TerraPrime said:

We will need a pretty damn big stadium, since his approval rating is still 30%. 

Also, let's not be so nice as to let the not-so-hardcore Trump supporters off the hook. They knew what they were voting for. The fact that they are not regretful and admit to being wrong doesn't really mean shit, seeing as Agent Orange is already installed in the White House. Their recognition that they picked a wrong person is, as they say, a day late and a mile short. 

I have other thoughts about what to do with Trumpkins but people get upset these days when you talk about gulags and sterilization.

58 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not exactly. Trump desperately requires adoration, that’s what drives him. The lashing out is more of a defense mechanism for when he doesn’t get it.

If House/Senate leadership and/or Trump scuttles the bipartisan Alexander-Murray bill to stabilize Obamacare, Dems need to wash their hands of the whole thing and let Republicans reap the whirlwind come midterms.

49 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I have other thoughts about what to do with Trumpkins but people get upset these days when you talk about gulags and sterilization.

People get upset about that always.

But I'm still not opposed to sending them all to Florida.  Global warming isn't real and I hear Kentucky has an Ark they can send down for assistance.  

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not exactly. Trump desperately requires adoration, that’s what drives him. The lashing out is more of a defense mechanism for when he doesn’t get it.

It's both. His business practices are all about fucking people over. It's why he needs to humiliate his allies and employees, like tweeting to undercut Tillerson or sending Chris Christie to get his McDonald's.

He is a rich stew of every negative and hateful personality trait. And 60 million assholes voted him into the world's most powerful position.

33 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's both. His business practices are all about fucking people over. It's why he needs to humiliate his allies and employees, like tweeting to undercut Tillerson or sending Chris Christie to get his McDonald's.

He is a rich stew of every negative and hateful personality trait. And 60 million assholes voted him into the world's most powerful position.

I see what you’re saying, and it’s not wrong, but I think the starting point is still whether or not you give Trump absolute praise. When you do so he praises you back and when you don’t he attacks you ten times hard than whatever you did to him, though that doesn’t change the fact that he derives a lot of enjoyment out of the latter.

57 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

If House/Senate leadership and/or Trump scuttles the bipartisan Alexander-Murray bill to stabilize Obamacare, Dems need to wash their hands of the whole thing and let Republicans reap the whirlwind come midterms.

The problem is if you do that then you’re letting a lot of people get hurt and you might get punished too. Most people don’t follow the day to day political happenings, and you run the risk of Trump successfully painting you as the villain in the affair, and despite all of his short comings, that’s something that Trump is actually really good at doing.

The mother of the fallen soldier has confirmed the veracity of Trump's "knew what he signed up for" comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/us/politics/trump-widow-johnson-call.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Looks like we will have Trump in another fight with a Gold Star family. I have already seen grumbling among the right that the call was a "set up" somehow, so no worries about this removing any of his messianic sheen for the dumbfucks.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The problem is if you do that then you’re letting a lot of people get hurt and you might get punished too. Most people don’t follow the day to day political happenings, and you run the risk of Trump successfully painting you as the villain in the affair, and despite all of his short comings, that’s something that Trump is actually really good at doing.

The polling I've seen on this issue seems to show that voters view healthcare as Republicans' problem now and don't want Trump sabotaging it. This is also in line with historical precedent of voters blaming the party in power for bad news, regardless of the actual political machinations on the ground.

Trump will certainly try and blame Democrats, but he's also just as likely to lay some of that blame at the feet of Republican leadership, and I think Democrats can provide a lot of effective messaging (always a problem for Democrats, I know) by piggybacking off of Trump's statements about Obamacare being dead - "don't even ask about it" - and his statements about Democrats coming to him to fix Obamacare - "we negotiated a bill with our counterparts across the aisle, but Trump/Mitch/Ryan spiked it and obviously don't care about struggling Americans in their haste to cut benefits to the middle class and poor and raise taxes on the middle class to pay for huge tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest Americans".

So the mother-in-law of the widow that was told that her husband knew what he signed up for, said that her sons wife was told that by Trump. 

He can deny it all he wants, it's evident he said it. Even if someone else didn't come out and back it up, I still wouldn't believe him since he has always been a liar. 

17 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

So the mother-in-law of the widow that was told that her husband knew what he signed up for, said that her sons wife was told that by Trump. 

He can deny it all he wants, it's evident he said it. Even if someone else didn't come out and back it up, I still wouldn't believe him since he has always been a liar. 

SHS was just asked about the "proof" Trump promised, she said there was no recording but multiple staff members were present for the call including Kelly. I assume we are to take the word of sycophants and enablers over the mother?

Also SHS: The media is disgraceful for twisting the President's "act of kindness" reaching out to the family. And Kelly is disgusted that his personal tragedy was politicized, yet no word on if he is disgusted that Trump himself politicized his sons death.

Jeeez, apparently the congresswoman is disgusting and appaling for politicizing a soldiers death, said without any sense of irony considering Trump's week so far.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah. As much as he's a narcissist and thus demands adulation, he's also obsessed with dominance. It's the lens through which he views the world and through which all his actions are filtered. You see it in every thing he does. It's in his trade policy, his interactions with others (especially women), his complaints about Obama (a black man who was better then him) and about foreign relations in general and in the way he forces those who opposed him to humiliate themselves for his pleasure. Even the way he shakes people's hands.

Fahrenthold, who has been by far the best at understanding Trump for like 2 years now, has been talking about this for ages. Trump needs to dominate others in the same way he needs praise and adoration. He feeds on it and when he doesn't get it, he becomes sullen and childish and angry.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The polling I've seen on this issue seems to show that voters view healthcare as Republicans' problem now and don't want Trump sabotaging it. This is also in line with historical precedent of voters blaming the party in power for bad news, regardless of the actual political machinations on the ground.

Trump will certainly try and blame Democrats, but he's also just as likely to lay some of that blame at the feet of Republican leadership, and I think Democrats can provide a lot of effective messaging (always a problem for Democrats, I know) by piggybacking off of Trump's statements about Obamacare being dead - "don't even ask about it" - and his statements about Democrats coming to him to fix Obamacare - "we negotiated a bill with our counterparts across the aisle, but Trump/Mitch/Ryan spiked it and obviously don't care about struggling Americans in their haste to cut benefits to the middle class and poor and raise taxes on the middle class to pay for huge tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest Americans".

Yeah, the good thing here for Dems is that people blame the party in power. This is a fairly, afaik, robust finding from studies in poli sci on how democracies work. If stuff goes bad, they blame the current government and people turn against them (on average, obviously). It's actually almost completely independent of whether said party is responsible for what is going bad too. Like, a bad drought will drop support for the government, no matter the response. Stuff is bad -> the people in charge are to blame ... somehow.

The GOP is gonna eat this shit sandwich to a large degree, one way or the other.

Archived