U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

47 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, that was centuries ago, in the before time, the long long ago

It hasn't even been a year and I think of Obama like Sam and Frodo languishing on the slopes of Mount Doom, trying to remember the sound of running water or the taste of strawberries.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The polling I've seen on this issue seems to show that voters view healthcare as Republicans' problem now and don't want Trump sabotaging it. This is also in line with historical precedent of voters blaming the party in power for bad news, regardless of the actual political machinations on the ground.

Oh I know and agree. I just think Dems could get hurt too (though not nearly as bad as Repubs), and that there's a potential that being an incumbent matters more than party for 2018 when it come's to punishing politicians. Trump kind of makes you have to throw out how things normally go.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Trump will certainly try and blame Democrats, but he's also just as likely to lay some of that blame at the feet of Republican leadership, and I think Democrats can provide a lot of effective messaging (always a problem for Democrats, I know) by piggybacking off of Trump's statements about Obamacare being dead - "don't even ask about it" - and his statements about Democrats coming to him to fix Obamacare - "we negotiated a bill with our counterparts across the aisle, but Trump/Mitch/Ryan spiked it and obviously don't care about struggling Americans in their haste to cut benefits to the middle class and poor and raise taxes on the middle class to pay for huge tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest Americans".

That's an interesting point, but a quick look at the 2018 map leads me to believe that it won't cost Republicans much if Trump goes after fellow Republicans. The only two seats that could be in jeopardy are Flake's in AZ and Heller's in NV, and that's largely because Republicans only have to defend eight seats this year. What will be more interesting is gauging how much the public will punish Democratic incumbents in toss up states that a Republican could easily win (MT, MO, IN and WV) and how crazy will their Republican challengers be (swing for the fences, Steve). 

Also, looking at the map is kind of depressing. If Democrats want to take back control of the Senate, they'll need to hold all their safer seats (shouldn't be too hard), win all the toss up states (unlikely, and right now there are five toss up states and the Dems control four), pick up AZ (all depends on if Flake can win his primary) and some how manage to pick off a Senator in either UT, WY, NE, TX, TN or MS (very difficult to see how Dems win in any of those states).

And just for a little fun, who do these traits remind you of?:

An insatiable appetite for the attention of other people.

Generally prone to extreme feelings of jealousy.

Behave as if they deserve special treatment.

Commonly exaggerate their achievements, talents, and importance.

Extremely sensitive.

Find it difficult to maintain healthy relationships.

Have fantasies regarding their own intelligence, success, power, and good looks.

If they have to take advantage of others to get what they want, they will, without regret or conscience.

It does not take much for a person with NPD to feel rejected.

Lack empathy - empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of other people. People with NPD disregard other people's feelings.

Many believe that only others - "special" people - are really able to understand their uniqueness.

May consider themselves as very skilled in romance; more skilled than anybody else.

Most people see narcissists' goals as selfish ones.

Obsessed with themselves.

Respond to criticism with anger, humiliation, and shame.

Seem arrogant.

Tend to seek out praise and positive reinforcement from others.

They may be perceived by others as tough-minded or without emotion.

Usually expect others to agree with them and go along with what they want.

Very easily hurt.

Whatever they crave or yearn for must be "the best."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9741.php

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

SHS was just asked about the "proof" Trump promised, she said there was no recording but multiple staff members were present for the call including Kelly. I assume we are to take the word of sycophants and enablers over the mother?

Also SHS: The media is disgraceful for twisting the President's "act of kindness" reaching out to the family. And Kelly is disgusted that his personal tragedy was politicized, yet no word on if he is disgusted that Trump himself politicized his sons death.

Jeeez, apparently the congresswoman is disgusting and appaling for politicizing a soldiers death, said without any sense of irony considering Trump's week so far.

Yea, this administration is irony incarnate. The're also shit in human form / skin.  

18 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I see comments by disillusioned conservatives like her (and others where I work) on various political articles fairly frequently.  There are multiple variations, but it usually runs along the lines of -

1 - Obummer was an evil demoncrat out to destroy the country.

2 - Killary would be Obummer 2.0

3 - Therefore, I supported/voted for Trump to undo Obummers evil plots and 'Make America Great Again.'

4 - However, impossibly, Trump is worse than Obummer.

And that is as far as they can go on that line of reasoning.  It's like they run into a mental wall. 

A couple conservative posters in these threads, most recently 'Mother Cacanuts' (sp?) also displayed reasoning of this sort - going to immense lengths to NOT think through the implications of their beliefs.

These people would NEVER vote democrat, but they do consider certain programs - SS, Medicaid, Medicare, a couple others - as sacrosanct - notions apparently lost on much of the republican party.  Properly presented - suitable conservative moralistic slant - they might go for other 'entitlements' as well.  

My prediction is that unless the republican leadership realizes just how sacrosanct the majority of their base views things like SS and Medicaid, they will pay very, very dearly at the polls - regardless of gerrymandering and voter suppression.  These people won't vote democrat (democrats are automatically EVIL), but they could either stay away in droves or cast their votes for candidates utterly unacceptable to the power brokers.

I honestly don't think any of my family-in-law would vote for Clinton if they could go back in time. But if they could go back in time perhaps they would have chosen not to vote.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And just for a little fun, who do these traits remind you of?:

An insatiable appetite for the attention of other people.

Generally prone to extreme feelings of jealousy.

Behave as if they deserve special treatment.

Commonly exaggerate their achievements, talents, and importance.

Extremely sensitive.

Find it difficult to maintain healthy relationships.

Have fantasies regarding their own intelligence, success, power, and good looks.

If they have to take advantage of others to get what they want, they will, without regret or conscience.

It does not take much for a person with NPD to feel rejected.

Lack empathy - empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of other people. People with NPD disregard other people's feelings.

Many believe that only others - "special" people - are really able to understand their uniqueness.

May consider themselves as very skilled in romance; more skilled than anybody else.

Most people see narcissists' goals as selfish ones.

Obsessed with themselves.

Respond to criticism with anger, humiliation, and shame.

Seem arrogant.

Tend to seek out praise and positive reinforcement from others.

They may be perceived by others as tough-minded or without emotion.

Usually expect others to agree with them and go along with what they want.

Very easily hurt.

Whatever they crave or yearn for must be "the best."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9741.php

Most people? But some to a greater extent than others.

What is in Trump's incredible cache of enemy-destroying, name-clearing secrets:

- Proof Obama is not a U.S citizen

- Proof that the women accusing him of sexual misconduct were lying

- Proof Obama wiretappd him

- Recordings to disprove Comey's version of his firing

- Proof that he did not say what he was accused of saying to a gold star widow

Anything I'm missing?

The megalomaniac in me wants to reach out to billionaire Democrat donors with a proposition to pay for the resettlement and give a stipend and support to, say, 100k Puerto Ricans - provided that they go to Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania and stay until January 2021. 

32 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The megalomaniac in me wants to reach out to billionaire Democrat donors with a proposition to pay for the resettlement and give a stipend and support to, say, 100k Puerto Ricans - provided that they go to Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania and stay until January 2021. 

Well, there's a good chance a lot of them end up in Florida. That's almost as good, right?

26 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

This is about as sensitive as Kelly Osbournes toilet cleaning comment. Its almost as if democrats refuse to do things themselves. They would rather have someone else underpay underprivileged migrants to do something they themselves couldn't be bothered doing.

On the plus side, at least you're now admitting that internally you're a megalomaniac...

16 minutes ago, Squab said:

They would rather have someone else underpay underprivileged migrants to do something they themselves couldn't be bothered doing.

FYI, Puerto Ricans are American citizens, not migrants. No more than people in Tennessee are migrants for moving to Texas. 

But you already know that. 

3 minutes ago, TerraPrime said:

FYI, Puerto Ricans are American citizens, not migrants. No more than people in Tennessee are migrants for moving to Texas. 

But you already know that. 

You're not thinking of immigrant? A migrant doesn't need to be international.

28 minutes ago, Squab said:

This is about as sensitive as Kelly Osbournes toilet cleaning comment. Its almost as if democrats refuse to do things themselves.

I don't understand this supposedly cutting point at all. Care to explain?

They would rather have someone else underpay underprivileged migrants to do something they themselves couldn't be bothered doing.

Such as...moving to Wisconsin?

On the plus side, at least you're now admitting that internally you're a megalomaniac...

I'm externally a megalomaniac as well.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Not that greedy, be satisfied with billionaires simply helping to stabilize the move to central Florida of many.  Still will work politically.

43 minutes ago, Squab said:

You're not thinking of immigrant? A migrant doesn't need to be international.

Do we usually refer to people who move to different states as migrants? Like if someone moves from GA to NC for a job, do we call them a migrant? 

Archived