U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

14 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

No I mean like let them bring the schools to court over not letting him speak out of safety concerns for the students. Not him. Say that he presents the danger, not the protesters against him and his nazism. The proof is there that he is a danger.  

IDK if you want to go down that route though. It's a dangerous precedent to set. 

11 hours ago, Shryke said:

He's got no integrity.

He lost whatever integrity he had when he suggested, jokingly, that the President should kill members of the press:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2017/live-updates/trump-white-house/trump-comey-and-russia-how-key-washington-players-are-reacting/dhs-head-kelly-jokes-about-trumps-saber-and-the-press/?utm_term=.3ea540ac547d

During the commencement, Trump was presented with a ceremonial saber. After accepting it to applause, he returned to his seat next to Secretary of Homeland Security Gen. John F. Kelly.

Smiling, Kelly leaned over the president and said, of the saber, “You can use that on the press.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” said Trump, as Kelly laughed.

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Not that anybody here cares, but this bit of 'news' seems to be gaining traction on the Right.  I find the source dubious (putting it kindly) but it *might* have credible support, though its also partly a rehash of the discredited 'Killary sold Uranium to Russia.' I also find it kind of sad that even though her political career is toast, attacking Clinton is still a major priority for the Right.  Anyhow:

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/russia-scandal-is-real-involves-hillary-clinton/

Any suggestions called news about Russia bribing US officials to buy Uranium is most likely to be utter bullshit. With the collapse of the USSR, weapons grade uranium and plutonium were readily available from their existing arsenal. So much so that they were selling it off. Why ever would they be buying now?

I would have been willing to give Kelly a little benefit of the doubt, maybe thinking he needs to demonstrate loyalty to Trump to keep his job and keep in close proximity to the ever-present danger that Trump's gaping personality flaws present. Everyone who works for the orange monster is expected, at some point, to eat a dollop of his shit and compliment the chef.

But Kelly's personal attack on Rep Wilson and insinuation that she was being underhanded by being with the family when the call came in is just ridiculous. If it was so private, why were you there, you hidebound racist? Then that "old man yells at cloud" rant about how we don't respect or worship the right things anymore was basically MAGA wrapped up in his personal brand of flag-humping.

Fuck John Kelly. I hope he got a good price for his dignity.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I honestly never got the 'adult in the room' assumptions. Is it just the American jingophile thing?

Military worship. He is a general who has children serving, one of whom died in combat. Therefore he must be a man of honor and the only reason he would work for Trump is out of patriotic duty and the belief that he can in some way prevent large scale disaster by bringing discipline to chaos.

Never mind that he has failed to rein in Trump at all. Never mind the fact that he covers Trumps ass. Never mind his Archie Bunker, "those were the days" spiel yesterday; ya know John, the 50s-60s weren't so wonderful for everyone, women in particular. 

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Never mind that he has failed to rein in Trump at all.

Not to defend Kelley because I have no reason to - but we do not know that.  We have no idea what the people around Trump may have successfully steered him away from.  Maybe they can't reign in his irresponsible use of twitter, but they may have kept his tiny orange fingers away from pushing all kinds of shiny buttons.  

Proof that Kelly lied in his description of Rep. Wlison's remarks during the 2015 building dedication ceremony in honor of two fallen FBI agents. 

A true "man of honor"...or hell, even a real "grown-up in the room" would apologize. I'm not going to hold my breath. This just lends further weight to the axiom "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas."

IF Kelly was ever truly a man of honor...which I sincerely doubt given his unhinged screed about protection of women used to be sacred...he has thrown all that aside in order to become yet another lickspittle for Trump.

43 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

IF Kelly was ever truly a man of honor...which I sincerely doubt given his unhinged screed about protection of women used to be sacred...he has thrown all that aside in order to become yet another lickspittle for Trump.

It’s also worth noting that the Administration has still yet to address the grieving widow and how Trump’s call offended her and the fallen soldier’s mother.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s also worth noting that the Administration has still yet to address the grieving widow and how Trump’s call offended her and the fallen soldier’s mother.

Much less how the administration has failed to address why these 4 soldiers were killed in the first place, which is because hundreds of Chadian troops were withdrawn from Niger as a response to the administration's decision to include Chad in the new travel ban.

The story about Trump promising a Gold Star father $25,000 is very telling. It was a total lie, and he lied to someone that was in the midst of grieving. Then after the press finds out about this, the WH attacks the press in a number of ways over the story before the go ahead and send the father the check. What a bunch of scum bags.

This asshole is one of these assholes. 
http://www.gainesville.com/news/20171020/three-charged-in-shooting-after-spencer-talk

This is why you do not shrug off online bigotry and just chalk it up to trolling. Eventually they will get bold enough to try and harm someone. 

It's also not a shocker that one of them has a history of being an abuser. Sexism and misogyny along with men's rights activism is a gateway to white nationalism. 

Also, one of them was in that video I posted to here from that person's twitter. He was that asshole that flung himself over the barrier. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Three nazis shot at protestors after Richard Spencer's speech. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-richard-spencer-speech-20171020-story.html

But, ya know, nazis need a voice too amirite.  

Now universities will be legally able to deny him on grounds of student safety.

3 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Much less how the administration has failed to address why these 4 soldiers were killed in the first place, which is because hundreds of Chadian troops were withdrawn from Niger as a response to the administration's decision to include Chad in the new travel ban.

Oh FFS. And I just heard different reporting that the top military brass in that part of Africa (didn’t catch the name) warned that putting Chad on the travel ban list could lead to deaths for U.S. soldiers.  They warned Trump this could happen, and the WH tried to keep the deaths silent. This feels more and more like they tried to cover up the deaths of soldiers because Trump recklessly caused it.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now universities will be legally able to deny him on grounds of student safety.

Well, it at least gives them cause - or no excuse not - to take him and any affiliated groups to court.

At 5:20 p.m. Thursday, a silver Jeep with William Fears and Colton Fears, who are brothers, and Tenbrink pulled up to a bus stop at 3315 SW Archer Road, where a small group of people were sitting. The men began cheering Adolf Hitler and chanting.

Archer is pretty much shooting at a bus stop on main street.  According to google that's about six miles away from my parents house and on dad's way to campus.  Sure he's glad he didn't go in yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh FFS. And I just heard different reporting that the top military brass in that part of Africa (didn’t catch the name) warned that putting Chad on the travel ban list could lead to deaths for U.S. soldiers.  They warned Trump this could happen, and the WH tried to keep the deaths silent. This feels more and more like they tried to cover up the deaths of soldiers because Trump recklessly caused it.

And in unison The Deplorables cried out "But Benghazi........"

17 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well, it at least gives them cause - or no excuse not - to take him and any affiliated groups to court.

I think it will go the other way, and the universities will make him take them to court, unless there is some legal reason why it would be more strategic to go your route. Either way though I suspect the universities would win.

Also, it will be interesting if universities and states in general will change their locks and make the speaker responsible for the total cost of security for their events.

And yeah, your dad made the right call on that one. 

16 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

And in unison The Deplorables cried out "But Benghazi........"

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Sadly, these hypocrites never except their own faults. Just look at Kelly's speech from yesterday, where he was lamenting our collective lack of respect for women and gold star families while defending a man who completely disrespects women and has personally attacked a gold star family. You cannot make this stuff up. There isn't a writer alive who could have written everything Trump's done as a fictional story.  

Archived