U.S. Politics: We're Saying Merry Christmas, Again

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Between McCain, Flake and Corker, there might be enough votes for impeachment this term if McConnell ever wanted it to come to a vote. 

Now, the House would never remove him from office, and it would probably only make Trump stronger, but nonetheless Trump's scorched earth policy in the Senate is showing some pushback.

24 minutes ago, S John said:

Definitely a roll of the dice, but I guess the positive is that Bannon could take it too far and lose to a Democrat and the Democrats probably have a better chance to win for vacant seats than against an (R) incumbent in the first place.  The polling is close in Alabama (of all places) and if it's close there maybe Bannon's strategy of offering up the nuttiest motherfucker he can find - in a climate where Trump is still ultimately on the wrong side of 40% in approval ratings - could blow up right in his face. 

I am fully aware that to most conservatives voting for a Democrat is beyond the pale, and any person Bannon can get into the race is going to have a very real shot at winning, but there just might be enough conservative folks who are close enough to the middle to have the sense to see that we don't need to fill the Senate with Roy Moore's.  Enough who have seen enough of Trump to know that they do not want the country to continue in that direction.  I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, but I do think it's within the realm of possibility for the Bannonites to overplay their hand (and who the hell does this guy think he is anyway) and for some of the races for vacant seats of guys like Flake, Corker, Sessions to break for the Dems.  Same for any race where the 'RINO' incumbent is primaried by a Bannon disciple - that's cause for concern but it's not a slam dunk and may actually increase the chance that the Dem wins by virtue of not facing an incumbent.   

This brings up a pretty important point. Bannon has succesfully branded 2018 as the year of Bannon. I feel pretty confident that Krysten Sinema will play hopscotch all over Kelli Ward in the general (although she would have done the same with Flake), and it seems realistic that Bannon will be responsible for more lost seats. So maybe the dream scenario really is to have Bannon blow his wad in 2018 and be personally responsible for handing Democrats power. Breitbart's readers think primarying Republicans is fun now, but you have to wonder at what point they either stop cheering for losing candidates or become the pariahs of moderate Republicans.

54 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Not sure what you mean - there's already a Bannon-backed challenger in the race.

Was looking at Flake's polling the other day and it's ugly - especially for an incumbent against a relatively known quantity like Kelli Ward (McCain beat her by 12 points all the back in last August).  So, not surprised he's calling it.  However, I'm not entirely sure Ward is the "Bannon-backed" candidate, especially with the field open now.  While Mercer has backed her and Trump gave her that kinda-endorsement in August, I thought it might behoove the Bannonites to find a fresher crazy with a more interesting "outsider" CV even before Flake dropped out.  That's especially the case now.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Was looking at Flake's polling the other day and it's ugly - especially for an incumbent against a relatively known quantity like Kelli Ward (McCain beat her by 12 points all the back in last August).  So, not surprised he's calling it.  However, I'm not entirely sure Ward is the "Bannon-backed" candidate, especially with the field open now.  While Mercer has backed her and Trump gave her that kinda-endorsement in August, I thought it might behoove the Bannonites to find a fresher crazy with a more interesting "outsider" CV even before Flake dropped out.  That's especially the case now.

Probably. That said, Sinema is looking really strong, and a primary between a new Bannon endorsement and a former  Bannon endorsement might be the nail in the coffin.

12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ha! I got that reference!

5 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Probably. That said, Sinema is looking really strong, and a primary between a new Bannon endorsement and a former  Bannon endorsement might be the nail in the coffin.

Meh, I think primaries "damaging" a candidate are overwrought.  The damage a primary can do is if two or more candidates are from different factions of a party, it can depress turnout in the general election of the losing faction.  Ward and hypothetical crazy #2 would be coming from the same faction.  The only downside is not focusing on ill-defining Sinema early, but this can be done via outside groups (which would do the heavy lifting anyway).

Archived