How much does Stannis know about Dany?

DominusNovus

Considering Maester Aemon's knowledge of Dany, Stannis obviously has heard/read about her doings in Essos. The reason we get nothing out of his mouth about Dany is probably that he has more pressing concerns. He had Renly, Robb, Lannisters, Tyrells, Free folk and now Roose and Freys and soon enough the Golden Company to concern himself with If he survives the Boltons and Freys and Golden Company is dealt with by anyone, then I'm sure he'll talk about the threat Dany poses for him

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Considering Maester Aemon's knowledge of Dany, Stannis obviously has heard/read about her doings in Essos.

I agree. Stannis knowledge base should be on pair with the ravens the Night's Watch received plus the little knowledge Aemon shared. 

7 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

I agree. Stannis knowledge base should be on pair with the ravens the Night's Watch received plus the little knowledge Aemon shared. 

Actually Stannis may have more knowledge than Maester Aemon; most if not all his knowledge will come from what raven messages he gets and perhaps sailors tales if a merchant ship or two makes a visit to Eastwatch. while Stannis also has access to raven messages, including perhaps Varys' information sent by ravens while his Robert was still alive, sailors of the ships that came near Dragonstone before he makes any move, knowledge from Renly's lords and men if they gained any through sailors coming to mainland ports or people spreading what those sailors tell, people love spreading tales after all.

Ah, this question reminds me of something I've always wondered about, and it's not the what or why on Stannis's info about Dany as the story is happening in the present.  I've always wondered WHY....it hasn't dawned on Stannis that Dany is more so the one that all of Mel's beliefs about Dragonstone would indicate she should be looking for.....not him.  I mean, come on, the girl's name, even then.....seems to be known as Danaerys Stormborn.....all do know where that storm of her birth took place, yada yada yada.  I've never understood why a smart man like Stannis wouldn't be pointing such out to Mel, or wondering about it, or questioning her about it.  I do find it to be a bit of hole left unexplained. 

He probably knows a great deal about Daenerys's activities but due to her being in Essos, he's not too concerned with her at the present time. Right now, he's more concerned with winning support in the North and ousting the Boltons from Winterfell. Stannis is very pragmatic and doesn't bother with anything that isn't bothering him yet. Even if she does come over with her dragons, most people are not going to be that overly enthused by her or her lizards.

As for the Azor Ahai prophecy... book!Stannis really only seems to be following Mel's advice as long as it gives him the power he needs. He really doesn't seem to believe any of it until he physically sees it work. So, I'm not even sure he believes there is some "great hero to save the world" only that he is aware of what is going on better than the other morons on the field and he sees himself as better placed to deal with it.

6 hours ago, SirArthur said:

I don't recall any mention of Stannis having ravens since he left Dragonstone.   Nonetheless, we know from Davos that Stannis doesn't read his messages.   He leaves that for lesser men as he is really busy being Azor Ahai.  Maester Aemon has been gone a while now.  There was no mention of Dany at the Wall at all.   We don't know that Maester Aemon knew anything about her at all until he left the Wall.  Davos only seems to learn of her in White Harbor.   That we can really cite, at any rate. 

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Ah, this question reminds me of something I've always wondered about, and it's not the what or why on Stannis's info about Dany as the story is happening in the present.  I've always wondered WHY....it hasn't dawned on Stannis that Dany is more so the one that all of Mel's beliefs about Dragonstone would indicate she should be looking for.....not him.  I mean, come on, the girl's name, even then.....seems to be known as Danaerys Stormborn.....all do know where that storm of her birth took place, yada yada yada.  I've never understood why a smart man like Stannis wouldn't be pointing such out to Mel, or wondering about it, or questioning her about it.  I do find it to be a bit of hole left unexplained. 

Stannis would have known Dany was alive and living as a beggar princess with her brother while he served on the small council.    Since Stannis abandoned his post and we know highly sensitive small council messages were not getting to him after he left, why would we think he has any more intel about anything?   Dany's popularity in Essos seems to be relegated to Essos.    The sailors speak of her, but when does Stannis speak with sailors himself?    Dany is a big deal to the Red Priests.    Mel's got herself convinced Stannis is the guy.    She may receive messages about Dany, but she's hellbent on Stannis.  Mel is Stannis #1 counselor.  I have no doubt doubt Davos would have opened a conversation about Dany if he'd known, but there is no way Mel will allow information contrary to her own to reach Stannis.    

Nothing says he even knows and nothing says Aemon was getting information about Dany while he was at the Wall.   We shouldn't lose sight that if Aemon did get information bout Dany while he was at the wall it didn't necessarily come by raven.   

8 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I don't recall any mention of Stannis having ravens since he left Dragonstone.   Nonetheless, we know from Davos that Stannis doesn't read his messages.   He leaves that for lesser men as he is really busy being Azor Ahai.  Maester Aemon has been gone a while now.  There was no mention of Dany at the Wall at all.   We don't know that Maester Aemon knew anything about her at all until he left the Wall.  Davos only seems to learn of her in White Harbor.   That we can really cite, at any rate. 

Stannis would have known Dany was alive and living as a beggar princess with her brother while he served on the small council.    Since Stannis abandoned his post and we know highly sensitive small council messages were not getting to him after he left, why would we think he has any more intel about anything?   Dany's popularity in Essos seems to be relegated to Essos.    The sailors speak of her, but when does Stannis speak with sailors himself?    Dany is a big deal to the Red Priests.    Mel's got herself convinced Stannis is the guy.    She may receive messages about Dany, but she's hellbent on Stannis.  Mel is Stannis #1 counselor.  I have no doubt doubt Davos would have opened a conversation about Dany if he'd known, but there is no way Mel will allow information contrary to her own to reach Stannis.    

Nothing says he even knows and nothing says Aemon was getting information about Dany while he was at the Wall.   We shouldn't lose sight that if Aemon did get information bout Dany while he was at the wall it didn't necessarily come by raven.   

My answer was not about what Stannis knew in the present in regards to Dany.  My post was asking why Stannis didn't address with Mel the fact that Dany's BIRTH seemed to fit Mel's beliefs, as opposed to his own possession of Dragonstone as his seat of power.  That was all.  It seems a bit of an unaddressed issue, IMO, in the books.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

He probably knows a great deal about Daenerys's activities but due to her being in Essos, he's not too concerned with her at the present time. Right now, he's more concerned with winning support in the North and ousting the Boltons from Winterfell. Stannis is very pragmatic and doesn't bother with anything that isn't bothering him yet. Even if she does come over with her dragons, most people are not going to be that overly enthused by her or her lizards.

As for the Azor Ahai prophecy... book!Stannis really only seems to be following Mel's advice as long as it gives him the power he needs. He really doesn't seem to believe any of it until he physically sees it work. So, I'm not even sure he believes there is some "great hero to save the world" only that he is aware of what is going on better than the other morons on the field and he sees himself as better placed to deal with it.

I agree, especially in our first intros to Stannis, that it is not a question of belief as opposed to him just trying another bird instead of Proudwing.  I just think with the circumstances and place of Dany's birth being so well known, it'd be a fact a smart person like Stannis should ask about. 

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I just think with the circumstances and place of Dany's birth being so well known, it'd be a fact a smart person like Stannis should ask about. 

I doubt he'll concern herself with her until she actually turns up in Westeros. Maybe once she does turn up he will question Mel about her but until then he'll only focus on the matter at hand. As I said, I think Stannis is too pragmatic to worry about the girl with dragons on another continent and no closer to coming west when he has ice zombies and Boltons to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

My answer was not about what Stannis knew in the present in regards to Dany.  My post was asking why Stannis didn't address with Mel the fact that Dany's BIRTH seemed to fit Mel's beliefs, as opposed to his own possession of Dragonstone as his seat of power.  That was all.  It seems a bit of an unaddressed issue, IMO, in the books.

Ah, I see.   Sorry to have misunderstood.   Stannis is something of a big headed monkey.   I love the guy, but he is very single minded.   I'm not sure he would allow anyone else to fit any part of the prophesy if he can use the circumstances to his own advantage.   He's pretty desperate.  I doubt he believes any of it--Mel's PR work seems to be a means to an end for him.    And he's a misogynist.    He wouldn't believe a female could save the world.   That's my take any way.    Thanks for clarifying your position.

32 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Stannis would have known Dany was alive and living as a beggar princess with her brother while he served on the small council.

He probably first knew about it from the people of Dragonstone when he sailed to take Rhaella and Viserys as prisioners after Robert's Rebellion.

But, as far as ASOS he doesn't seem to know about Daenerys and her Dragons. When Selyse tells him he is an Aegon without dragons, he recalls all Targaryen attempts to bring the dragons back to life and doesn't adds Daenerys to the list.

Spoiler
ASOS - Davos V

"Lord husband," said Queen Selyse, "you have more men than Aegon did three hundred years ago. All you lack are dragons."

The look Stannis gave her was dark. "Nine mages crossed the sea to hatch Aegon the Third's cache of eggs. Baelor the Blessed prayed over his for half a year. Aegon the Fourth built dragons of wood and iron. Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire to transform himself. The mages failed, King Baelor's prayers went unanswered, the wooden dragons burned, and Prince Aerion died screaming."

Queen Selyse was adamant. "None of these was the chosen of R'hllor. No red comet blazed across the heavens to herald their coming. None wielded Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes. And none of them paid the price. Lady Melisandre will tell you, my lord. Only death can pay for life."

In ADWD, Davos overhears sailors talking about Daenerys in Qarth and doesn't link the dots, which tells us that Stannis has no clues of Daenerys' activities so far.

Spoiler
"Daenerys," Davos said. "She was named for the Daenerys who wed the Prince of Dorne during the reign of Daeron the Second. I don't know what became of her."

"I do," said the man who'd started all the talk of dragons, a Braavosi oarsman in a somber woolen jack. "When we were down to Pentos we moored beside a trader called the Sloe-Eyed Maid, and I got to drinking with her captain's steward. He told me a pretty tale about some slip of a girl who come aboard in Qarth, to try and book passage back to Westeros for her and three dragons. Silver hair she had, and purple eyes. 'I took her to the captain my own self,' this steward swore to me, 'but he wasn't having none of that. There's more profit in cloves and saffron, he tells me, and spices won't set fire to your sails.' "

Laughter swept the cellar. Davos did not join in. He knew what had befallen the Sloe-Eyed Maid. The gods were cruel to let a man sail across half the world, then send him chasing a false light when he was almost home. That captain was a bolder man than me, he thought, as he made his way to the door. One voyage to the east, and a man could live as rich as a lord until the end of his days. When he'd been younger, Davos had dreamed of making such voyages himself, but the years went dancing by like moths around a flame, and somehow the time had never been quite right. One day, he told himself. One day when the war is done and King Stannis sits the Iron Throne and has no more need of onion knights. I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world.

5 minutes ago, Ckram said:

He probably first knew about it from the people of Dragonstone when he sailed to take Rhaella and Viserys as prisioners after Robert's Rebellion.

But, as far as ASOS he doesn't seem to know about Daenerys and her Dragons. When Selyse tells him he is an Aegon without dragons, he recalls all Targaryen attempts to bring the dragons back to life and doesn't adds Daenerys to the list.

Hide contents
ASOS - Davos V

"Lord husband," said Queen Selyse, "you have more men than Aegon did three hundred years ago. All you lack are dragons."

The look Stannis gave her was dark. "Nine mages crossed the sea to hatch Aegon the Third's cache of eggs. Baelor the Blessed prayed over his for half a year. Aegon the Fourth built dragons of wood and iron. Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire to transform himself. The mages failed, King Baelor's prayers went unanswered, the wooden dragons burned, and Prince Aerion died screaming."

Queen Selyse was adamant. "None of these was the chosen of R'hllor. No red comet blazed across the heavens to herald their coming. None wielded Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes. And none of them paid the price. Lady Melisandre will tell you, my lord. Only death can pay for life."

In ADWD, Davos overhears sailors talking about Daenerys in Qarth and doesn't link the dots, which tells us that Stannis has no clues of Daenerys' activities so far.

Hide contents
"Daenerys," Davos said. "She was named for the Daenerys who wed the Prince of Dorne during the reign of Daeron the Second. I don't know what became of her."

"I do," said the man who'd started all the talk of dragons, a Braavosi oarsman in a somber woolen jack. "When we were down to Pentos we moored beside a trader called the Sloe-Eyed Maid, and I got to drinking with her captain's steward. He told me a pretty tale about some slip of a girl who come aboard in Qarth, to try and book passage back to Westeros for her and three dragons. Silver hair she had, and purple eyes. 'I took her to the captain my own self,' this steward swore to me, 'but he wasn't having none of that. There's more profit in cloves and saffron, he tells me, and spices won't set fire to your sails.' "

Laughter swept the cellar. Davos did not join in. He knew what had befallen the Sloe-Eyed Maid. The gods were cruel to let a man sail across half the world, then send him chasing a false light when he was almost home. That captain was a bolder man than me, he thought, as he made his way to the door. One voyage to the east, and a man could live as rich as a lord until the end of his days. When he'd been younger, Davos had dreamed of making such voyages himself, but the years went dancing by like moths around a flame, and somehow the time had never been quite right. One day, he told himself. One day when the war is done and King Stannis sits the Iron Throne and has no more need of onion knights. I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world.

I appreciate the agreement here.  Just 1 thing I'm unclear about, if you don't mind.   In your opening sentence you stated:  He probably first knew about it from the people of Dragonstone when he sailed to take Rhaella and Viserys as prisioners after Robert's Rebellion.   Are you saying Stannis knew about the prophecy here?  

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Ah, I see.   Sorry to have misunderstood.   Stannis is something of a big headed monkey.   I love the guy, but he is very single minded.   I'm not sure he would allow anyone else to fit any part of the prophesy if he can use the circumstances to his own advantage.   He's pretty desperate.  I doubt he believes any of it--Mel's PR work seems to be a means to an end for him.    And he's a misogynist.    He wouldn't believe a female could save the world.   That's my take any way.    Thanks for clarifying your position.

No problem.  Oh yes, Stannis would have problems believing a woman could save the world, sad to say.  I say that as someone who enjoys much about Stannis.  I just do find it odd that he wouldn't throw around his knowledge about how Dany fits some of Mel's beliefs much better than he does.  After all, Mel IS just another woman, regardless of magical abilities.  I could see him snarking about it to Mel or others, or himself, when things go wrong sometimes.  That would be like Stannis as well. 

Archived