House Strong

TheDrunkenGiant

35 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Yes, with their 300 years of existence the Baratheons are one of the youngest houses in Westeros.

The only time the Strongs might have been interesting enough for the Baratheons to intermarry with them was when they held Harrenhal, a period of around 40 years. So yeah, technically it might be possible. But then can also add the Crakehalls and Bulwers. 

And are the Kettleblacks actually a proper house?

The Kettleblacks are landed knights, not lords, and even that only since Blackwater.

We don't actually know whether the Strongs are an ancient house or a recent on, since the oldest mention of them is about them being one of the houses that joined the Tully rebellion against the Hoares and then proclaimed for the Targaryens.

Meanwhile, House Baratheon is definitely young, but we don't know much about their family history back before Aegon's Conquest. Was there a prominent Baratheon family on Dragonstone, or do Valyrians give last names to commoners, or was it just Orys's nickname* which he took to name his house? (Of course if he really was Aerion Targaryen's bastard son, I suppose it doesn't matter that much.)

---

* If it was a nickname, and if GRRM reveals its Valyrian meaning, I'll bet it ends up having some ironic meaning which sounded like it came true when he became Hand of the King but actually came true when he lost his sword hand.

15 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Meanwhile, House Baratheon is definitely young, but we don't know much about their family history back before Aegon's Conquest. Was there a prominent Baratheon family on Dragonstone, or do Valyrians give last names to commoners, or was it just Orys's nickname* which he took to name his house? (Of course if he really was Aerion Targaryen's bastard son, I suppose it doesn't matter that much.)

"Bara-Theon" would mean "Hinderance of the Gods", basically a translation of "God's Grief". GRRM doesn't care for linguistics, so he just snatches bits and bobs of Greek and Latin here and there.

I am wondering if the Brute of Bracken had Strong blood in him? From the Dunk and Egg stories he appears to be a hulking, superstrong knight from the Riverlands. When the armourer that was outfitting Dunk made the comment of how big Duncan was, he said he had outfitted bigger. Since Duncan was around seven feet tall and well built, I am wondering who would have been bigger in that era? Otho Bracken?

Archived