If you were Littlefinger

Angel Eyes

In real life history, it was possible to make it up the ranks if you were good with money. Thomas Cromwell and William Cecil come to mind. But mostly, the gig was having a rich merchants daughter or son marry a noble who needed the cash.

By the way, is “Alayne” Littlefinger’s monetary heir whether or not she marries Harry?

On 10/18/2017 at 10:39 AM, Angel Eyes said:

And you wound up in the same scenario that he did when he fell for Catelyn, challenged Brandon and lost? 

For me, I would, after amassing the power that Littlefinger had in AGOT, have Hoster Tully murdered. His ambitions were the root of Petyr's troubles because he didn't think Petyr was worthy of Catelyn.

I would respect Catelyn's wishes, because she is not a prize for me to win. I would never have challenged for her hand in the first place after she turned me down. I would have probably stayed in Riverrun, and been a loyal subject. I would be wed to some amazing woman who loved me in return, but still friends with Catelyn (after some time to recover from my heartbreak). 

On 10/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, Angel Eyes said:

How would you know, if you were Littlefinger? Hoster didn't think Petyr was good enough for Catelyn (or Lysa for that matter) and that was enough to start a continent-wide civil war. 

How would you know? Maybe,...ask her...., the fundamentals of human communication would probably do. Didn't Catelyn beg him not to? I feel like she had already turned him down before the duel even took place. 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:33 AM, cpg2016 said:

Well it's worth pointing out that this isn't true.  Littlefinger is an awful plotter.  He's compulsively driven to tell everyone how much smarter he is than they are, and is always exposing his own plots out of a desire to show off how superior and smart he is.  It's dumb luck he hasn't been caught out.

When you have been plotting as much as LF you can hardly hide you are a plotter, so he uses the tactic of intimidating people. Of course pretending to be a dumb honorable guy is better but he can't really do that anymore.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:46 PM, ChuckPunch said:

Valyrian Steel > gold

Just ask Tywin

Valyrian Steel Sword > Valyrian Steel Dagger. Sword has much bigger combat ability while dagger is more of a prestige item. Dagger doesn't even have the name so it is far from value of swords who are known throughout the realm.

On 10/11/2017 at 1:05 AM, HoodedCrow said:

By the way, is “Alayne” Littlefinger’s monetary heir whether or not she marries Harry?

It is difficult to say. We are told so often that bastards have no true social status, are not allowed to bear their family's arms or name unless legitimised by a monarch. So, LF might have to have his "daughter" Alayne legitimised by Tommen so she can bear the name "Alayne Baelish". In reality, that might not be too hard since LF is still a friend of the Crown and Tommen just loves stamping documents without reading them. Once she is "Alayne Baelish", she would become the heir to both that rubbish tower in the Fingers, "Drearfort" but, more importantly (and ironically), Harrenhal. She would be Lady of the lost seat of her (Sansa's) maternal grandmother's family!

On 10/11/2017 at 6:43 AM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

How would you know? Maybe,...ask her...., the fundamentals of human communication would probably do. Didn't Catelyn beg him not to? I feel like she had already turned him down before the duel even took place. 

Agreed. Granted, Petyr was only fifteen and probably hadn't realised how to channel his psychopathy into more useful pursuits but bottom line: he was never going to get Catelyn even if he had by some miracle defeated the... fully trained, much larger twenty-one-year-old man. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that she told Petyr that it was never, ever going to happen (Lysa seems to think so, though Lysa was crazy by the time she came out with all this) but her behaviour towards him should have tipped him off. Again, it genuinely makes me think Petyr lacks any real empathy -- he just knew he wanted Cat.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

It is difficult to say. We are told so often that bastards have no true social status, are not allowed to bear their family's arms or name unless legitimised by a monarch. So, LF might have to have his "daughter" Alayne legitimised by Tommen so she can bear the name "Alayne Baelish". In reality, that might not be too hard since LF is still a friend of the Crown and Tommen just loves stamping documents without reading them. Once she is "Alayne Baelish", she would become the heir to both that rubbish tower in the Fingers, "Drearfort" but, more importantly (and ironically), Harrenhal. She would be Lady of the lost seat of her (Sansa's) maternal grandmother's family!

Alayne is his heir even if she is a bastard but problem is she doesn't really knows where LF has all the gold. I would say in case of his death his coworkers would each take part of the gold they could access. I bet his hold is hidden all over the Westeros and Essos, but most should be in Iron Bank but probably in many different accounts. I don't think Sansa as Alayne could even claim Harrenhall and Trident as LF's bastard daughter, she can claim it as Sansa since Edmure is kinda disinherited in a way.

3 hours ago, Faera said:

Agreed. Granted, Petyr was only fifteen and probably hadn't realized how to channel his psychopathy into more useful pursuits but bottom line: he was never going to get Catelyn even if he had by some miracle defeated the... fully trained, much larger twenty-one-year-old man. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that she told Petyr that it was never, ever going to happen (Lysa seems to think so, though Lysa was crazy by the time she came out with all this) but her behaviour towards him should have tipped him off. Again, it genuinely makes me think Petyr lacks any real empathy -- he just knew he wanted Cat.

I don't think LF was psychopath pre-duel, just a boy in love. I would say he developed his personality mostly after the duel, it was like the event that shaped him to become what he is now. Petyr is dead inside just wanted Cat and now he wants Sansa.

13 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

I don't think LF was psychopath pre-duel, just a boy in love. I would say he developed his personality mostly after the duel, it was like the event that shaped him to become what he is now. Petyr is dead inside just wanted Cat and now he wants Sansa.

...I think literally every human being has loved someone and been turned down, especially when we were teenagers (although for the most part I think teenage love is lust and not love). However, most, if not all of us, have moved on by adulthood. I agree with you that Petyr is obsessed, but he wouldn't be a completely different person if Catlyn had returned his love. That part of his personality was already present, as he was clearly obsessed with Catlyn, and not in love with her.

Archived