NBA 2017 - 18: 76ers Make the Playoffs? Embiid They Will

Relic

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think that’s true a lot of the time, but I also think people over exaggerate a lot of what he does.

Yeah, I agree. He's one of those players that other teams/fans love to hate so he's under the microscope. All the more reason he should try and modify his behavior.

18 hours ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

How's he being a piece of shit? I watched that game from start to finish, and Draymond Green didn't initiate the physical contact. Beal slapped Green on the right side of his face, and then when Green turned around to grab him, Beal wrapped his arms around Green's head/neck and pulled him back until the rest of players pushed them onto the floor. Kelly Oubre Jr. can be seen throwing punches, one which connected with the back of his own teammate's (John Wall's) head. You can even hear the refs and security instructing Beal to let go. Only Beal should have been ejected from that game

You need to be more observant. If you look at the replays starting at 1:30 and 1:50 you will see that the first move is actually Draymond Green elbowing Beal in the chest, after which Beal responds and grabs him. If you take note of that, you get a better sense of why this gets so out of hand. Green's story afterwards that he is innocent is bullshit. Secondly, he does entirely fail to disengage so the penalty for that alone is justified.

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Hey Relic, still want to trade Porzingis?

Ask me in 4 months. Hommie had a great game last night, there is no doubt. Only grabbed 7 rebounds tho. That's weird for the tallest dude on the floor. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you get a chance, check out Wiggin's dunk at the end of last night's game. It was sick. 

Saw that. I want to see more of that from Wiggins.

54 minutes ago, Relic said:

Ask me in 4 months. Hommie had a great game last night, there is no doubt. Only grabbed 7 rebounds tho. That's weird for the tallest dude on the floor. 

He's had a great season so far. Rebounding is about more than height. He's just not a great defensive rebounder. Not sure he has the strength or desire to be better at this point. Definitely something he can work on.

44 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Saw that. I want to see more of that from Wiggins.

He's had a great season so far. Rebounding is about more than height. He's just not a great defensive rebounder. Not sure he has the strength or desire to be better at this point. Definitely something he can work on.

He actually does that all the time. It’s just unusual to see it at the end of a game. And speaking of rebounding, it’s great to see him crashing the glass like a beast early on this season.

As far as KP goes, I don’t think he’ll ever be a good rebounder for his position, and that’s because it doesn’t fit him. He’s got the game of a SG or SF and the body of a C. I honestly don’t know what you do with him.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

You need to be more observant. If you look at the replays starting at 1:30 and 1:50 you will see that the first move is actually Draymond Green elbowing Beal in the chest, after which Beal responds and grabs him. If you take note of that, you get a better sense of why this gets so out of hand. Green's story afterwards that he is innocent is bullshit. Secondly, he does entirely fail to disengage so the penalty for that alone is justified.

I have been more observant. (I told you that I watched that game from start to finish.) What you're seeing in your video is the first two replays where it was thought that Draymond threw an elbow. On the third replay, in slower motion and at a much better angle, Draymond Green can be seen only pushing off of Bradley Beal after Beal held him from behind. You can then see that Beal struck him on the right side of his face. Beal initiated it. Draymond Green was innocent: Green deserved neither the fine nor the ejection. The "failure to disengage" is what's bullshit. The segment of which I speak can be found starting at 2:47:

21 hours ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

I didn't just "simply say" he was overrated. I explained the reason he's overrated.

Now? He's arguably number five. (Maybe four if we're being generous to his game.)

Yes, but lacking a benchmark to compare to. Something tangible. I'm probably a minority in this, but I like to have a common reference point when making a comparison. This isn't the first time that I've complained about this kind of stuff, never got much of a response. :(

10 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Yes, but lacking a benchmark to compare to. Something tangible. I'm probably a minority in this, but I like to have a common reference point when making a comparison. This isn't the first time that I've complained about this kind of stuff, never got much of a response. :(

I judge top players by skills/talent, efficiency, production, impact and accomplishment. This is the reason Michael Jordan is the GOAT. (And Lebron's not even close.) But, you're not going to find an objective benchmark, let alone a common one. My arguments are primarily based on stats, ratings, and video evidence.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

As far as KP goes, I don’t think he’ll ever be a good rebounder for his position, and that’s because it doesn’t fit him. He’s got the game of a SG or SF and the body of a C. I honestly don’t know what you do with him.

Personally I'd love him to be a stretch C but they like to have him paired with Kanter, O'Quinn so probably won't happen. Doesn't matter I guess, he's playing well right now. Some of the plays here are just unblockable. 

17 minutes ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

I judge top players by skills/talent, efficiency, production, impact and accomplishment. This is the reason Michael Jordan is the GOAT. (And Lebron's not even close.) But, you're not going to find an objective benchmark, let alone a common one. My arguments are primarily based on stats, ratings, and video evidence.

Shrug. Jordan can be the benchmark. I just need a frame of reference. My point being, not as good as Jordan overrated reads differently from plain overrated. It can mean many other things basically. 

In the great big world of "What if?" scenarios, I wonder how the NBA would have changed had the Sixers drafted Kristaps rather than Okafor.  

Kristaps fits perfectly into the Sixers offense, and they would have more than likely won 8 additional games in the 2015-2016 season (Sixers finished with a league worse 10-72 record that season, Lakers followed with 17-65).

Which then would have made the Lakers the worse team in the NBA two seasons ago, and they would have been able to draft Simmons the following year.

So I wonder.  A dominant front-court pairing of Embiid and Kristaps.  Or, the current dynamic duo of Simmons and Embiid.  Without a doubt the Lakers would have improved the most from it.  But I wonder... would Porzingis have lead the Sixers to a 2nd worse record in 2015?  I hope not, because the idea of Simmons, Kristaps, and Embiid is enough to make me cry over the Okafor selection.  

32 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Personally I'd love him to be a stretch C but they like to have him paired with Kanter, O'Quinn so probably won't happen. Doesn't matter I guess, he's playing well right now. Some of the plays here are just unblockable. 

I totally get that, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a good enough defender to make that work unless you’re OK with trading 2s for 3s. He is very similar to Dirk, which should make you happy as a Knicks fan, but the game has changed a lot since Dirk’s prime, and it’s not to KP’s advantage.

55 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Shrug. Jordan can be the benchmark. I just need a frame of reference. My point being, not as good as Jordan overrated reads differently from plain overrated. It can mean many other things basically. 

When I state LeBron is overrated, it is to suggest that his skill set is overrated, not that he doesn't match up to Jordan. I mentioned this before. And as I stated before, I judge top players by skills, efficiency, production, impact and accomplishments. That is, at least, my frame of reference.

1 hour ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

Was it stats, ratings, or video evidence that led you to conclude that Jordan could guard all five positions?

Archived