NBA 2017 - 18: 76ers Make the Playoffs? Embiid They Will

Relic

3 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I like how LeBron and Phil Jackson dislike each other.  Probably because I dislike them both, they're frauds!  Especially Jackson.  Zen Master my ass.  

Just think...Phil Jackson was fully willing to run KP out of New York.  Dude's an idiot.  

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Haha that's great. That said, I think it's time to start getting nervous about your Cavs. They wouldn't make the playoffs if they started today.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haha that's great. That said, I think it's time to start getting nervous about your Cavs. They wouldn't make the playoffs if they started today.

What is there to be nervous about?  They're going to make the playoffs, but ultimately fall short of a championship, again.  LeBron will leave Cleveland again, and then Cavs fans will be nervous in May 2019.   When they start rooting for ping pong balls.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Meh...need to see what the team looks like with Thomas back first.

The kid I liked out of Indiana, OG Anunoby, is getting his first career start tonight for the Raptors.  He was the 23rd pick in the draft, should have been top 10, but he had knee surgery earlier in the year.  

This kid could develop to be a great two-way player.  Check out the Jumpman23 dunk he had against Maryland:

17 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

The kid I liked out of Indiana, OG Anunoby, is getting his first career start tonight for the Raptors.  He was the 23rd pick in the draft, should have been top 10, but he had knee surgery earlier in the year.  

This kid could develop to be a great two-way player.  Check out the Jumpman23 dunk he had against Maryland:

He’s got some Iggy/Artest potential, imo.

There is going to be a lot of teams that regret passing up on OG Anunoby.  Is he a big time scorer yet?  Nope but he will be in a couple years.  Already an awesome defender with a high bb IQ.

Plus short shorts.

7 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

God, I can't stand watching Harden play.  His flopping mocks the game.

And yet, I was watching him in a game this week against Memphis, and he just ruined them.

Gorgeous 3 point shots, great drives, step backs, dribbling past everyone and finishing in traffic. The guy is just so good.

Nice to see Simmons and Embiid just dominate the Clippers btw. Great performances. Clippers look like they will not make the playoffs at all this season.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

And yet, I was watching him in a game this week against Memphis, and he just ruined them.

Gorgeous 3 point shots, great drives, step backs, dribbling past everyone and finishing in traffic. The guy is just so good.

Nice to see Simmons and Embiid just dominate the Clippers btw. Great performances. Clippers look like they will not make the playoffs at all this season.

There is no denying Harden's offensive talent.  One of the best scorers in the league.  I just hate how he flops and constantly uses his up-fakes to get his defender in the air, then lean forward to get the contact and the call.

That Sixers @ Clippers game was fun to watch.  Teams will start forcing Simmons to shoot, the kid is just too difficult to guard.  And finally, Embiid spent the majority of the time in the paint instead of the perimeter.  

Hopefully the Sixers sign Robert Covington to an extension before tonight's marquee matchup against the Lakers.  Covington is one of the most underrated players in the league.   Three years ago, on this very day, Sam Hinkie signed him when he was in the D-League.  Now he is one of the best 3&D players.

Clippers are in a tailspin.  But Patrick Beverley being out is a huge blow.  I actually started wondering yesterday if they would consider trading DeAndre at the deadline.  He will continue to struggle without Chris Paul and JJ.  The Cavaliers would greatly benefit with DeAndre.  

Well, the Clippers signed Teodosic to do a good part of what Chris Paul did and throw lobs to DeAndre.

With him out, his dunks are not being fed, but presumably the Clippers will want to see Teodosic back first to see how it goes.

As for Simmons, I actually don't think he's that bad of a shooter. I'm checking his scores every game and his shooting percentage seems pretty decent to me. So he can't shoot 3's, ok, he's also not taking them so his efficiency doesn't suffer in that sense, and his regular field goal percentage is decent. If you look at Lonzo Ball, he's having much more trouble shooting the ball.

Re; Harden. No one likes floppers. I do think he's just sensational to watch when he's on fire, which is almost every game. He's just so skilled.

11 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

As for Simmons, I actually don't think he's that bad of a shooter. I'm checking his scores every game and his shooting percentage seems pretty decent to me. So he can't shoot 3's, ok, he's also not taking them so his efficiency doesn't suffer in that sense, and his regular field goal percentage is decent. If you look at Lonzo Ball, he's having much more trouble shooting the ball.

Aside from dunks and layups, the majority of his points are from within 5 feet.  And you're right, the Sixers don't need Simmons to become a 3pt shooter.  That's not his game, if he can someday average ~35% off of 3-4 attempts per game, that would be the icing on the cake.  He has shown the ability to hit a decent jumper from about 15 feet.  He displayed it a few times at the elbow against Houston:

He just has to extend it to 20 feet.  If he adds that next season, and continues to grow out his mid-range game with fade-aways and step-backs, he's a future MVP candidate.  

Archived