NBA 2017 - 18: 76ers Make the Playoffs? Embiid They Will

Relic

40 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Many around the Bulls believe that Nikola Mirotic may not return to the team. He hasn't responded to any of their texts and calls. He's reportedly considering returning to Europe.

Well, if he does choose to go back to Europe, I hope he takes the Bulls front office with him.

I don't blame him. But the Bulls are in a precarious spot. Bobby Portis is one of their younger talents with potential, and they're in rebuild mode, but Mirotic is a consistent veteran. To me, the decision would've been simple: Bobby Portis is out. An eight game suspension is a slap on the wrist; he physically harmed one of his teammates.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Many around the Bulls believe that Nikola Mirotic may not return to the team. He hasn't responded to any of their texts and calls. He's reportedly considering returning to Europe.

Well, if he does choose to go back to Europe, I hope he takes the Bulls front office with him.

If he isn't responding to texts or calls how is it he is "reportedly" considering returning to Europe?  Where are the "reports" coming from?

What exactly happened?  Was it a cheap shot where Mirotic wasn't expecting it? Or just one of those punches that connected just so?

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I've googled a bit and it turns out to be 12.5 million dollars per year. He'd be lucky to get 20% of that in Europe, as dominant as he might be. He's definitely not returning to Europe.

Man, OKC is entertaining as fuck to watch. With Russ driving the lane Melo and PG are just standing on the wings wide open. Melo feasted from behind the arc last night as the defense collapsed around Russ, who still managed to put up another MVP game of 28, 16, and 10. 

Meanwhile Cavs lose to the Nets, Warriors haven't hit their stride yet, Detroit has a better record than Minnesota, and the Spurs are unbeaten. 

I've always believed that if you deliver a cheap shot to a player that injures them, the suspension should be until that player is medically cleared to resume playing. It's just fucking ridiculous that you can get an 8 game suspension for punching a teammate who will then be out for 2 months.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Meanwhile Cavs lose to the Nets, Warriors haven't hit their stride yet, Detroit has a better record than Minnesota, and the Spurs are unbeaten. 

To be fair, the team has struggled without Butler. They were 2-1 before he missed a few games. And Shabazz has been terrible as a starter.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is Lonzo Ball a bigger Ricky Rubio who can’t play defense?

Watched him closely last night because I was curious. His defense is actually pretty decent. He has size and is wily for a rookie even if he isn't super fast. But I had the exact same thought - right now Ball is Ricky Rubio. The shot is not there and he barely looks for it. For a guy being hyped as the best player in the draft, you'd expect him to be more aggressive. But that probably won't come until his shot improves. 

He does some useful things (like find KCP and Nance when they're open) and fills up the box score but overall being a Ricky Rubio is still a net negative offensively. Of the rookies I've watched thus far Ben Simmons is far and away the most impressive. 

15 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Watched him closely last night because I was curious. His defense is actually pretty decent. He has size and is wily for a rookie even if he isn't super fast. But I had the exact same thought - right now Ball is Ricky Rubio. The shot is not there and he barely looks for it. For a guy being hyped as the best player in the draft, you'd expect him to be more aggressive. But that probably won't come until his shot improves. 

He does some useful things (like find KCP and Nance when they're open) and fills up the box score but overall being a Ricky Rubio is still a net negative offensively. Of the rookies I've watched thus far Ben Simmons is far and away the most impressive. 

That’s interesting. I’ve always heard the one of the three major knocks on him was that he was an awful defender, along with his inability to shoot and his lack of athleticism. And I never believed he was the best player in the draft. He was just the most famous. Pre-draft, the three guys I really liked were Tatum, Fox and Monk. I would have taken all of them over Ball. Also, I’m not sure that Ball will ever be aggressive. It’s just not in his personality.

As far as Simmons goes, I haven’t seen him play yet, but I’ve heard that he looks great and that he can be a top 5 player in the league if he ever develops a jump shot that defenders have to respect

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Man, OKC is entertaining as fuck to watch. With Russ driving the lane Melo and PG are just standing on the wings wide open. Melo feasted from behind the arc last night as the defense collapsed around Russ, who still managed to put up another MVP game of 28, 16, and 10. 

If, OKC continues to gel, do you think they have enough to give the Dubs a run for their money in the playoffs? I'd love to see Russ & Co. take down Durant and the Warriors. 

I think with, like you said, George and Melo being left alone when Russ drives that they can keep up with the best in the West offensively. I also think they got better on D, imo.

@Triskele, I actually think Ball has what it takes to make it. So, ill recant all my bust statements. His shot will get going, I think that that's just a by product of all the pressure to play well every night. His defense is decent, he held Wall to 2 of 7 shooting while guarding him. I actually like the kid and find it enjoyable that he stays humble and reserved amid his fathers comments and the target that puts on his back. I'm rooting for the guy, even though I hate the Lakers.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

If, OKC continues to gel, do you think they have enough to give the Dubs a run for their money in the playoffs? I'd love to see Russ & Co. take down Durant and the Warriors. 

I think with, like you said, George and Melo being left alone when Russ drives that they can keep up with the best in the West offensively. I also think they got better on D, imo.

OKC has to fix their rebounding problem- that was the equalizer against the (obviously) better shooting Dubs when they went up 3-1 in 2016...

7 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

OKC has to fix their rebounding problem- that was the equalizer against the (obviously) better shooting Dubs when they went up 3-1 in 2016...

Whole different team though, I don't think we can use that as a comparison. I think they have the offensive weapons. Russ, George, Roberson and Adams are all good defenders. Really love to see this series in the playoffs.

Just going to jump on the Popovich Love bandwagon here and post up an article I just came across. This is from the Spurs Media Day that was held just prior to the start of the season. It just underlines not just the mans intelligence, but his character. I truly hope this guy decides to get into politics someday. He'd have my vote in a second.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/9/25/16362298/gregg-popovich-spurs-trump-comments-racism-president-nba

Quoted from the article:

There’s a lot involved in that when you say culture and politics and sports. People write books about that. I would hesitate to take that on as a whole. It makes more sense to me to be a bit more specific, and I’ll just tell you what we say to our team.

Each one of them has the right and ability to say what they would like to say, and act the way they’d like to act. They have our full support and no matter what they might want to do or not do is important to them, respected by us, and there’s no recrimination no matter what might take place, unless it’s ridiculous egregious. There’s a line for everything. But we do live in a difficult time and it doesn’t do a whole lot of good ...

We all know the situation and it gets beaten up every day by talking heads, it starts to get personal. I think we all know why, we all know who the source where a lot of the division comes from, but to dwell on that is sometimes I think is the wrong way to go, because it’s so obvious now. It’s boring. The childishness, the gratuitous fear mongering and race baiting, has been so consistent that it’s almost expected. The bar has been lowered so far that I think it’s more important to be thinking about what to do in more organic roots based level. Thinking about the efforts to restrict voter registration, comments that demean cultures, ethic groups, races, women. Those sorts of things. What can be done in an organic way to fight that?

We know how everything happens, we know where the power in the country is, we know the racism that exists. But it’s gone beyond that to a point where I’m more worried about, and confused by, the people around our president. These are intelligent people who know exactly what’s going on. They basically were very negative about his actions but now it seems like it’s condoned. We saw it this weekend with his comments about people who should be fired or people who shouldn’t be allowed to do this sort of thing. I wonder what the people think about who voted for him, where their line is, how much they can take, where does the morality and decency kick in?

I understand very well they didn’t like their choice, economically. A lot of people had a problem. And he was the right guy at the right time to tap into that mood. But people overlooked one helluva lot to pull that trigger and vote in that direction, but it was because they wanted change, they felt ignored, they actually thought something would happen that would aid them. But at what price, is the question.

And as we see the actions over and over again, one wonders what is in their head. Have they come to the conclusion that they had the wrong vehicle? They might have had good ideas, good reasons why they wanted to go the way they went. But someone else that had a little bit more decency about how they approach other people and other groups might have served better. That’s what I worry about in the country.

You wonder about if you live where you thought you live. I just heard a comment this morning from a NASCAR owner and Mr. Petty that just blew me away, just blew me away. Where the owner described that he would get the Greyhound bus tickets for anybody to leave, and they’d be fired, and Mr. Petty, who said people who act the way we saw Sunday, they should leave the country. That’s where I live. I had no idea that I lived in a country where people would actually say that sort of thing. I’m not totally naive but I think these people have been enabled by an example that we’ve all been given. You’ve seen it in Charlottesville, and on and on and on. That’s not a surprise. Get over it. What do we do to get it done. To go to the grassroots and not allow this to happen again.

Our country’s an embarrassment to the world. This is an individual who actually thought that when people held arms during the game, that they were doing it to honor the flag. That’s delusional. Absolutely delusional. But it’s what we have to live with.

So we have a choice. We can continue to bounce our heads off the wall with his conduct, or we can decide that the institutions of our country are more important, that people are more important, that the decent America that we all thought we had and want is more important, and get down to business at a grassroots level and do what we have to do.

I guess that’s enough for now.

@Tywin et al., look at the plus/minus when Lonzo is on the floor. Unless I ain't got a clue how to understand them. They are +16 when he is off the court.

In other news, I think Boston would be better off moving Smart to the 2 while Gordon is out or they can find a vet or trade for a competent 2.

Archived