Branerys

3 hours ago, zandru said:

Well, that means her reproductive system is still up and running - but remember how many times Lysa miscarried? She was just lucky that one baby survived. Ditto for Selyse (the Bearded Queen): lots of miscarriages, only one success. Many a woman in Westeros has died before producing a live offspring. Generally while trying.

Sure, but I think the whole point of the miscarriage from a literary standpoint is to show that Dany is wrong when she thought:

The maegi Mirri Maz Duur had sworn she should never bear a living child, and what man would want a barren wife?

And this:

And if my womb is withered and my female parts accursed, is there a special cake for that as well?

Her opinion on the matter is a complete distortion of what MMD actually said. And if she really can have kids, then she ironically put forth a good deal of unnecessary effort to avoid having her womanly parts inspected and missed out on some tasty special cake. And the miscarriage may be foreshadowing for her becoming pregnant later. I actually think she will bear a living child and die in childbirth, thus being reunited with Drogo in the afterlife and "fulfilling" MMD's prophecy.

On a side note, Lysa's problem may have been that Jon Arryn was too inbred to easily have children, and the one time she succeeded was in bearing LF's child (Robert) instead of Jon's. Or it may have been because of her earlier abortion.

4 hours ago, manchester_babe said:

But she miscarries. :-(

Right... which means she was pregnant. You can't miscarry without being pregnant first :P 

Dany is clearly under the impression that she is "barren" aka not able to become pregnant at all.

2 hours ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

To be fair we don't even know that. The baby is taken away while she's unconscious. There are also tons of characters around with unknown intentions and loyalties. The baby could easily be alive and well.

@manchester_babe was referring to her miscarriage in ADWD, not Rhaego

13 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

Right... which means she was pregnant. You can't miscarry without being pregnant first :P 

Dany is clearly under the impression that she is "barren" aka not able to become pregnant at all.

@manchester_babe was referring to her miscarriage in ADWD, not Rhaego

My bad. I had no idea anyone thought that was a miscarriage. I'd just thought it was a heavy flow. 

7 hours ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

My bad. I had no idea anyone thought that was a miscarriage. I'd just thought it was a heavy flow. 

The implication is definitely that it was a miscarriage. Unless you think her period was months late for some other reason.

If she had not been so sick and scared, that might have come as a relief. Instead she began to shiver violently. She rubbed her fingers through the dirt, and grabbed a handful of grass to wipe between her legs. The dragon does not weep. She was bleeding, but it was only woman's blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that. "I am the blood of the dragon," she told the grass, aloud.

2 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

The implication is definitely that it was a miscarriage. Unless you think her period was months late for some other reason.

I can see where you're coming from and I knew which bit you were referring to. I never thought that much about Dany's menstruation. I put it down to her (thinking) she's unable to have children and her becoming fertile again. Sort of the curse lifting.

6 hours ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

I can see where you're coming from and I knew which bit you were referring to. I never thought that much about Dany's menstruation. I put it down to her (thinking) she's unable to have children and her becoming fertile again. Sort of the curse lifting.

Well I think the whole point of that miscarriage is to show that Dany was never "cursed" in the first place. Dany is the only one who thinks she is barren. MMD didn't even say she was barren. MMD gave a vaguely worded prophecy that Dany (apparently) misinterpreted. But obviously based on that quote Dany has been menstruating normally this whole time and became pregnant.

The most likely explanation for Daenerys's supposed infertility is that Daario is the one with low-fertility or perhaps infertile himself and Hizdahr is the one who finally managed to get her pregnant. Either way, I agree with the notion that she was never barren and there was no curse.

Archived