Harvey Weinstein: Why is it about so much more than Harvey Weinstein?

Datepalm

Kevin Spacey has made a whole new mess by responding to accusations that he molested a 14-year-old-boy by using the 'I was drunk' excuse (that wouldn't even fly if that excuse flew ever because per the account he wasn't drunk when he invited a 14-year-old boy home) then went for pity points by coming out as gay in a manner that'll allow homophobes to perpetuate the idea that being gay and being a paedophile are the same thing.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Kevin Spacey has made a whole new mess by responding to accusations that he molested a 14-year-old-boy by using the 'I was drunk' excuse (that wouldn't even fly if that excuse flew ever because per the account he wasn't drunk when he invited a 14-year-old boy home) then went for pity points by coming out as gay in a manner that'll allow homophobes to perpetuate the idea that being gay and being a paedophile are the same thing.

It does seem like he's trying to distract from his actions by coming out. I thought he had come out a long time ago however.

Some outlets have actually fallen for the PR bait. I have seen headlines proclaiming "Kevin Spacey Comes Out"

I think we are going to hear more about prominent people who prey on children. Now that the ball has started rolling, the stories will only get worse. Hopefully the victims can find some peace exposing these assholes.

18 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

It does seem like he's trying to distract from his actions by coming out. I thought he had come out a long time ago however.

It's previously been subject to rumour and basically an open secret but something he's refused to comment on publicly. Which would be fair enough, but choosing to suddenly comment on it publicly now is pretty blatantly trying to deflect.

17 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I think we are going to hear more about prominent people who prey on children. Now that the ball has started rolling, the stories will only get worse. Hopefully the victims can find some peace exposing these assholes.

It could be a bit of a Jimmy Saville/Yewtree situation. If there's the will for it.

Bryan Singer has come up a lot in the past 12 hours since Buzzfeed dropped the Spacey story. Speaking of well-known rumours. Though he escaped the last time he was accused. 

What Happens When You Accuse a Director of Rape? -- Vulture
http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/michael-egan-bryan-singer-lawsuit.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hollywoods-other-open-secret-besides-harvey-weinstein-preying-on-young-boys

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Netflix has now axed House of Cards. Sucks for the likes of Robin Wright but i think its the right decision. Leaving aside discussions of whether the story could continue without Spacey’s character there are probably all kinds of legal difficulties if they want to just cut him out and keep the show. It’s not sufficient of course, I personally hope this ruins his career at the least, but it’s a start.

Just saw they canceled HoC.  Damn.  Good for them?  I'm not sure, stopped watching after the second season.  Do feel bad for Robin Wright like Helena said - she's great and has been through fifteen years of goddamn Sean Penn to boot.

17 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Just saw they canceled HoC.  Damn.  Good for them?  I'm not sure, stopped watching after the second season.  Do feel bad for Robin Wright like Helena said

It was to be the last season even before the Spacey news.  As Wright said herself a year ago 'now that Trump is the president, where do we go from here?'

I think what's interesting - or more appropriately creepy - is that I think the sexual proclivities Spacey's character demonstrated in the first couple seasons (like when he went back to his alma mater) were probably the closest to his own ever depicted on screen.  Of course, then there's also American Beauty.

Also, don't wanna say I called it on Singer because that's fucking gross, but one does have to wonder - what in god's name happened on the set of Usual Suspects?

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

I think what's interesting - or more appropriately creepy - is that I think the sexual proclivities Spacey's character demonstrated in the first couple seasons (like when he went back to his alma mater) were probably the closest to his own ever depicted on screen.  Of course, then there's also American Beauty.

Also, don't wanna say I called it on Singer because that's fucking gross, but one does have to wonder - what in god's name happened on the set of Usual Suspects?

I don;t think Singer has been successfully charged with anything, Unless I missed more news.

This is all so FUBAR I am physically sick.

The Nickelodeon producer guy is Daniel Schneider (not the Redskins owner) he produced/created All That, Drake and Josh, and The Amanda Show also played Dennis on that 80's sitcom Head of the Class and Ricky in the movie Better Off Dead.

There is a bunch of accusations about him, too many not to be something there, I hope they go after him.

This thread started talking about Weinstein and the horrible crimes he's done but now its onto Kevin Spacey and what he's being accused of.

The abuse of power has to stop, but it never does. The slime buckets they do go after any of those they perceive as weak, and especially with the children it's been an open secret because those in power are happy doing what they are doing and the masses, we just want our Home Alones and Goonies movies and not want to think about the abuse that's going on to bring us these products.

I'm certainly 100% guilty of this.

Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Jay North, Gary Coleman, Dana Plato, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, River Phoenix, Macauley Culkin, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, Amanda Bynes. 

Each generation we think the child stars and everyone else are going to be more protected more looked out for, have more power and more knowledge to better take care of themselves, it's not like it was back in those days when no one knew better. But nothing changes.

In ten years are the cast of Stranger Things going to be acting out? Are there going to be "real" horror stories from that set?

On 29/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

If it was about sexual attraction, then why is there a need to do it to people who do not want it?  The perp might be sexually attracted to some of his victims, but he isn't harassing, assaulting or raping his victims simply due to experiencing sexual attraction.  

I think one of the most important things to understand about human behaviour is that it is rarely as simple as one cause. It's tempting to just want to view Weinstein as a   simple bad guy, like how sexual predators tend to be depicted in fiction. 

So you're definitely right that it isn't "simply" about attraction, but that doesn't mean it's not about attraction at all, or that it being about attraction stops it being about power as well.

5 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

I think one of the most important things to understand about human behaviour is that it is rarely as simple as one cause. It's tempting to just want to view Weinstein as a   simple bad guy, like how sexual predators tend to be depicted in fiction. 

So you're definitely right that it isn't "simply" about attraction, but that doesn't mean it's not about attraction at all, or that it being about attraction stops it being about power as well.

I'm quite sure he has some pathological issues which meant that he was able to make his actions seem less terrible in his head. In other cases I've seen like that often the abuser see's the relationship as either mutual or transactional in some way. I'm sure Weinstein see's himself as some sort of persuader who can get women to sleep with him even though he looks like a sweaty hog. 

I'm not sure how he manages to tie in his head though, as when he is rejected he seems to resort to threats and blackmail to keep people quiet. He must have some glimmer of an idea that what he is doing is not ok, yet does it anyway. 

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don;t think Singer has been successfully charged with anything, Unless I missed more news.

It is just about impossible to successfully convict somebody as it boils down to your word versus their word, and in court they must treat both equally.

That's why in Australia, just yesterday, a woman who published her story in The Age about being sexually harassed by West Indian cricket Chris Gayle has had to sit in a courtroom... while The Age was successfully sued for defamation. Since the matter had never been before a court, it was damaging to Gayle's reputation, apparently, to say it happened at all.

This is the ultimate trump card (pun intended) of all abusers: Nobody can help you. Unless they filmed it, or somebody walked in on it, you're on your own. There is no legal means of doing anything much about it.

Abuse doesn't start with rape. It starts in small ways, it increases over time and perpetrators learn what society reinforces: other than the common morality that most people have, there's nothing to stop you.

Have I been a victim sexual harassment? Of course! Have I ever reported it? Of course! Did anything happen as a result? Of course not!

To emphasise this sad point, here is a story of a rape victim who had a message from her abuser admitting it and then made a phone call with police as witnesses where she got him to incriminate himself. And she still didn't have enough to convict because "the tape wasn't on... oops" and the word of the police with her wasn't seen as enough, nor the message he sent admitting to it. The call should not have even have been necessary, there was already enough to convict since the man admitted to it!

Well in the first case against Singer, I know there was conclusive evidence that Singer was in another part of the world when the alleged incident occurred, and I believe the accuser dropped his case and pretty much admitted he made it up(not sure about that last part so don't crucify me if I'm incorrect). Not sure what happened with the second case, but I know the accuser dropped his case in that one too, but I'm not sure why.

14 minutes ago, Yukle said:

It is just about impossible to successfully convict somebody as it boils down to your word versus their word, and in court they must treat both equally.

That's why in Australia, just yesterday, a woman who published her story in The Age about being sexually harassed by West Indian cricket Chris Gayle has had to sit in a courtroom... while The Age was successfully sued for defamation. Since the matter had never been before a court, it was damaging to Gayle's reputation, apparently, to say it happened at all.

This is the ultimate trump card (pun intended) of all abusers: Nobody can help you. Unless they filmed it, or somebody walked in on it, you're on your own. There is no legal means of doing anything much about it.

Abuse doesn't start with rape. It starts in small ways, it increases over time and perpetrators learn what society reinforces: other than the common morality that most people have, there's nothing to stop you.

Have I been a victim sexual harassment? Of course! Have I ever reported it? Of course! Did anything happen as a result? Of course not!

To emphasise this sad point, here is a story of a rape victim who had a message from her abuser admitting it and then made a phone call with police as witnesses where she got him to incriminate himself. And she still didn't have enough to convict because "the tape wasn't on... oops" and the word of the police with her wasn't seen as enough, nor the message he sent admitting to it. The call should not have even have been necessary, there was already enough to convict since the man admitted to it!

We had a similar case here in Canada. Check out Gian Ghomeshi. Even though he was not convicted,  his career went into a death spiral. 

Archived