Direwolves That Howl in the Night: Significant Absences From ASOIAF

hiemal

On 10/25/2017 at 0:54 AM, TheSeason said:

There is. The message got flipped around (told in bizarre reverse) over the generations. The important thing lost in translation is that it's queensblood that holds the power (or at least held the initial power), shed during the blood betrayal. Just like the kingsmoot was originally a queensmoot (like Asha puts forth) and the Drowned God is really a Drowned Goddess(!) and the Old Way is really the Blood Betrayal/Usurpation pretty much point-by-point of the solar deity overthrowing the lunar deity (and is, therefore, ironically the "New" Way). Actually, the Ironborn have a very bizarre interpretation of that event, taking the slain goddess for their deity, but lauding and honoring the usurping slaughterer solar deity thereafter (and the "that which is dead cannot die, but rises again harder and stronger" is all about the green giant, her son, so naturally they loathe the "green lands" and "green land lords")!

When we see "black blood" or "night and blood," we're also getting a wink toward the power of queensblood at work. 

I'm fascinated. I'd love to hear your thoughts on salt wives and the Gray King's merling bride as regards the idea of queen's blood. I'd also like to mention the Silver Sea drying up and the Fisher Queens being replaced by the Patriarchy of Hyrkoon and the rise of the Rhoyne (which I have previously mentioned elsewhere as a menstrual stream) in regards to the concept of Mystery vs. Momomyth (cyclical vs. linear time and all that culturally goes with it) and its role in the malady of the seasons.

Interesting thoughts! Perhaps the Blood Betrayal and the Usurpation of the rightful queen takes the place of Original Sin* (which may or may not have included rape--sometimes it appears to include forcible rape and sometimes rape by coercion/lie) which may be why the "bride"/queen/mother is not faulted for the deed. The female party can hardly be claimed more susceptible to temptation when it is the male party that first fell to sin and started the cycle of violence. Forgive my copypasta: 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I do wonder if the Blood Betrayal is the "original", however, or if it was the second turn of the cycle. I could make a case for either.

If only humans thought so logically.

Notice "incest" (the solar deity's rape of his sister-"bride" lunar deity) is counted one of the seven deadly sins (taking the place of "pride" whilst "murder" takes the place of "wrath")!

*If "incest" is part of the Original Sin of the gods above, perhaps reaching for that godly power or knowledge--corresponding more accurately to eating of the forbidden fruit(s) of the Tree(s) of Knowledge (weirwoods) and Life (undying ebony/yronwood trees)--is part of the Original Sin of the gods below (which also includes in itself a Blood Betrayal and Usurpation--the slaughter of the First King, which is where the "three brothers" comes into play, with their many echoes, e.g., Robert, Stannis, and Renly).

Sin by "cherry" instead of apple (although, all jokes aside, I suspect that the Amethyst Empress was no virgin when brought to her brothers bed. It is interesting that the weirwoods produce no fruit (unless my tinfoil about the Children themselves being the Weirwoods strange fruit. Either way the sin was the blood sacrifice of the First Men to the trees?

An interesting thought, but I'm not certain how to tie virginity or its lack to the monstrous stillbirths. Dany was a virgin when she wed Drogo and conceived Rhaego (much to Viserys's chagrin), but Rhaenyra didn't give birth to a "monstrosity" until her second marriage, with Prince Daemon, and previously had three healthy children in her first marriage (the maybe-Strongs/maybe-Velaryons). Didn't she also proceed to have a healthy heir with Prince Daemon, too? (Can't recall.) Then there's Maegor the Cruel, who had "monstrosities" with some of his wives, some of whom had been married before and of proven fertility (in his desperation to have an heir). How can we tie Maegor's stillbirths to virginity or its lack at all, since he's the Targaryen/Dragonlord in the equation and some of his brides may not even have ties to the "First" First Men Dragonlords (GEoDs) like the Hightower bride (who may or may not be in that camp)? Virginal purity is important in Westeros for women, but not for men, so Maegor really seems to throw a spanner in the works here. :dunno:

Good point. Ultimately, I think the only value of virginity is the  "blood on the maiden's thigh" and whether it has any real power remains to seen. Innocence seems impotent in Westeros.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:03 PM, TheSeason said:

Also @hiemal sorry if I've derailed the thread. I know none of this is really party to the scope of your OP. And about the eclipses... aren't they covered (but hidden) by the myriad references to the Gods Eye or the blinding of the God's Eye? Also covered with R'hllor (the fiery eye composed of the fiery dwarf moonmaid and the solar disc) and the Great Other (the black icy eye with pale corona composed of the large silver moonmaid and the solar disc) are deities corresponding to the two eyes of the god. The symbolic "mane" might be another allusion to it (being the corona), as well as the "crown" (fiery--burning eye--or crystal--icy eye), as well as "the curtain of light at the end of the world" (could be read either as the aurora borealis or foreshadowing of the coming eclipse event//allusion to the ancient eclipse event). 

My threads are a safe space for all speculation and it is always welcome.

That's very good. I have previously speculated on the relationship between those who use eyepatches to cover healthy eyes (Euron, Turnberry) and eclipses as well. I wonder if boiling of the God's Eye when the dueling dragons died in it during the Dance relates.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:42 AM, Seams said:

I've always wondered why we never hear Ned thinking, "If only my mother had lived to keep Lyanna in line . . . " or even, "Thank the gods my mother was dead and gone before Lyanna and Brandon were taken from us . . . ." Or even Catelyn thinking, "This was the place where Ned's mother had educated her children." Maybe the kids in the crypt saying, "Lord Rickard's bones had been laid to rest alongside those of his lady wife, who had died some years earlier." Something. Anything. That the Stark matriarch has zero presence in the lives of her descendants seems strange to me.

I wonder if the female Starks must be kept in line with iron to keep their bones from wandering.

7 hours ago, hiemal said:

I'm fascinated. I'd love to hear your thoughts on salt wives and the Gray King's merling bride as regards the idea of queen's blood. I'd also like to mention the Silver Sea drying up and the Fisher Queens being replaced by the Patriarchy of Hyrkoon and the rise of the Rhoyne (which I have previously mentioned elsewhere as a menstrual stream) in regards to the concept of Mystery vs. Momomyth (cyclical vs. linear time and all that culturally goes with it) and its role in the malady of the seasons.

I'm about to update my essay series (Deconstructing the Prophecy of Ice and Fire: the Triune Deity at War with Itself) with an essay that discusses my thoughts on the power of queensblood in relation to the significance of the Corn King, identifying the ancient "deities below" of the Three Headed Dragon (including the Grey King and the evolution of the Ironborn faith), who are Fisher Kings and Sacred Sacrificial Kings--symbolized by the river Trident. In the meanwhile, you might want to read this part of the series, that establishes the power of queensblood (not kingsblood). The next essay in the series (following the upcoming update) also addresses queensblood in relation to "black blood" as a symbol and theme, and the use of "women's weapons."

This section of the essay is fairly brief, establishing exactly what "queensblood" is and what its "power" actually is (not something that should be sought out or invoked, ever, that's for sure!): 

The upshot is, "queenblood" is "tears of blood" and a "curse," which I go into in much more detail in the upcoming essay "The Sacrificed Goddess Sang the Song: Agony and Ecstasy and Tears of Blood" (wherein I discuss "black blood," poison, and the "cult of ice and fire"--the Faceless Men of the House and Black and White--linking the "iron coin" also to "the iron price" of the Ironborn. The Ironborn faith is a goldmine in understanding the celestial event, the deities below (past and present), and the prophecy of ice and fire--multiple iterations of a singular prophecy). 

The rest of the essays will expound upon the theme, identifying the Horn of Joramun, the Ice Dragon (it's no mistake the "blue" color of the eye switches between dragon and rider in the constellation!), the "Promise" of the Prince, explaining why "Kinslaying" is worse than "Kingslaying," explaining the hidden role the Mother plays in the celestial event (the most important role), making sense of Night's Watch vows and Jon Snow's crypt dream, explaining the sphinx and its significance (I previously explained the riddle of the sphinx), and discussing the prophecy of ice and fire and the roles the current "deities below" (Dany, Aegon "Young Griff," and Jon Snow, with Tyrion acting as perfumed seneschal/Stinky Steward) shall play in it. 

The table of contents (and ultimate conclusion) is here, presented first (the series is very long in places): 

If you are still interested, I will post a link here when I update. 

I have never considered the Rhoyne as a "menstrual stream" before. That's a great insight! 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I do wonder if the Blood Betrayal is the "original", however, or if it was the second turn of the cycle. I could make a case for either.

If only humans thought so logically.

Lol. Yeah! Humans might not think so logically (and they don't, in-universe), but authors tend to, and I meant it more in a meta context. Martin doesn't present the "original sin" here as the woman's fault because he knows it wasn't. 

What makes you think it was the "second event" of the cycle? I'd like to hear your thoughts there. (Mine are in the first post, linked above, in the spoiler tag at the end). 

Sin by "cherry" instead of apple (although, all jokes aside, I suspect that the Amethyst Empress was no virgin when brought to her brothers bed. It is interesting that the weirwoods produce no fruit (unless my tinfoil about the Children themselves being the Weirwoods strange fruit. Either way the sin was the blood sacrifice of the First Men to the trees?

Good point. Ultimately, I think the only value of virginity is the  "blood on the maiden's thigh" and whether it has any real power remains to seen. Innocence seems impotent in Westeros.

More like sin by "corn" (seed and soul) than "cherry" (it wasn't so much her "virginity" that mattered, so much as him giving his "seed and soul" whether she wanted it or not). 

I don't believe the Amethyst Empress was a virgin either. I think she had already married (another brother, perhaps). Nor was the "Fisher Queen" in the other Blood Betrayal cycle (the Fisher Kings/Sacred Sacrificial Kings/Three Dragons of the Trident) a virgin, either, but also already married (to two other brothers!). Keep in mind, however, in my argument although the deity is triune (three brothers) it is also singular (the brothers are one), same as the deities above. I also don't believe virginity has any significance or power (except, perhaps, to the characters), in particular, but that "sacral virtue" (as of a Sacred or Sacred Sacrificial King/Queen) is what holds that significance and power. I don't believe the weirwoods (or undying ebony/yronwood) trees produce fruit--and I think that is deliberate--as the "greenseer" is the "strange fruit" (as in the Billie Holiday song) of the tree, the human sacrifice linked to and feeding the bones and soul of the earth itself. The sin is not necessarily the "blood sacrifice" to the trees (when it is a willing sacrifice! I intend to talk a bit about the hidden theme--which I think is most significant in series--of Forced Sacred Sacrificial Kingship/Queenship being a corruption of the righteous power of sacred sacrificial kingship (originally queenship)) but "usurpation" by "forced human/godly sacrifice" (often by means of sorcery). There was a "before" method and an "after" method (voluntary sacrifice, forced sacrifice of others) that marked the original sin and the fall from grace (for gods and men alike), the "true old way" and the "new old way" that I mentioned in the previous post. I don't think your crackpot that the "Children" (or rather the greenseers bonded to the trees) are the "strange fruit" of the trees is so far off the mark! In the true old way, they were very much Corn Kings (and (John) Barleycorn Kings!). 

My threads are a safe space for all speculation and it is always welcome.

That's very good. I have previously speculated on the relationship between those who use eyepatches to cover healthy eyes (Euron, Turnberry) and eclipses as well. I wonder if boiling of the God's Eye when the dueling dragons died in it during the Dance relates.

Interesting! I wondered if Euron (in particular) covered his eye as a hint to his "half-trained" history as a greenseer (only "half" or partly exposed to the darkness, with only a "half-opened" third eye). 

I take the boiling of the Gods Eye (when the dueling/dancing dragons died in it) as a hint to the true nature of the Gods Eyes (one fiery--the one that was blinded--one icy--the one that remains). Although the Gods Eye is a clear blue lake (sometimes with frost or ice on its surface), we see its as burnished or coppery (shining in the sunshine) and fiery/boiling (during the Dance). The god has two eyes (two versions of total solar eclipse), one "blinded" in pursuit of fell, sorcerous knowledge and power (the solar deity overreaching himself, resulting in a fall, like Icarus, like Bran--and, I think, like Euron too). That Euron's other eye is called his "smiling eye" also puts me in mind of the celestial event -- the "red smile" given to the Horned King (promised prince) by his father's--and technically his mother's--own hands (significant, as it is the moon that horns)!

I don't remember Turnberry. What's the context? 

I wonder if the female Starks must be kept in line with iron to keep their bones from wandering.

Doubtless by the tip of her lord husband's sword:P 

In all seriousness, however, I think the presence of Lyanna's statue and apparent lack of an iron sword guarding her crypt is of the utmost significance, giving her the freedom to curse Ned (and Robert) from the afterlife with her "tears of blood" (the power of queensblood in action, being that she is now Queen of Winter, the Underworld, and Death, like a proper icy moonmaid she-hellhound). 

Martin's treatment of the ladies of ice and fire frustrates and angers me to no end. Despite his tendency to point out that the woman matters too, he's certainly forgotten it himself in a great many ways. Even symbolically and thematically he hides the significance of the woman behind and in relation to the men in her life (despite that her story in the celestial event is the most important and impactful!). I am definitely giving him the side-eye there. Great point @Seams and @Blue Eyed Wolf. I read the "Dead Ladies Club" post before and whole-heartedly agreed. <_<

14 hours ago, TheSeason said:

Interesting! I wondered if Euron (in particular) covered his eye as a hint to his "half-trained" history as a greenseer (only "half" or partly exposed to the darkness, with only a "half-opened" third eye). 

I take the boiling of the Gods Eye (when the dueling/dancing dragons died in it) as a hint to the true nature of the Gods Eyes (one fiery--the one that was blinded--one icy--the one that remains). Although the Gods Eye is a clear blue lake (sometimes with frost or ice on its surface), we see its as burnished or coppery (shining in the sunshine) and fiery/boiling (during the Dance).

15 hours ago, TheSeason said:

What makes you think it was the "second event" of the cycle? I'd like to hear your thoughts there. (Mine are in the first post, linked above, in the spoiler tag at the end).

My thoughts on Euron are heavily colored by Lebor Gabala Eireann and Balor of the Fomorians. In short, I believe that one of the dynamics of unnatural tension in the thematic world of Ice and Fire (and Stone and Bronze and Steel; and dinosaurs and mammoths and horses; Mystery and Monomyth) is a succession of dominant races that reflect the Fomorians (the Deep Ones), the firbolgs (CotF and their kin- giants, Lengii, Naathi (?), and merlings), the Tuatha de Danaan (GeotD, Valyrians), and humans.

The first Cycle ended with a war between the (soon-to-be) Deep Ones being driven into the sea- abandoning their city of Yeen and the continent of Sothoros to the Children's "dominant force" of fertility until it becomes the madly fecund "green hell" in the battle against the Deep Ones powers of mutation and corruption which they use to create the slave race of merlings from prisoners of war. Also during this war at least on grove of weirwoods is submerged becoming the drowned god.

The Gray King would be the Azor Ahai of that first cycle, and Euron is their champion in the current go-round, Patchface their prophet. I'm not very good at over-arching explainations (sorry)- most of my tinfoil is very much of the if A then B then C but If A then D then E or If A then C then F... A tinfoil difference engine fueled by spitballs, if you will.

So if dragons were created in the first cycle, the "tamed" in the second...

Or are there only two cycles after all, and the Deep Ones just a Lovecraftian red herring of the first order? With chronology the way it is it could be that the Gray King is in fact the Bloodstone Emperor himself on walkabout as second sons seem to do or his own first son, the first attempt to forge Lightbringer tempered in water...

Either way, I think that Euron is a blueseer, an initiate of the Deep Ones' perverted weirnet (Shadenet?). I think that the Deep Ones' colors, btw, are blue and black. R'hlorr, the erstwhile BSE, is red and black. The Old Gods are red and white. And the Great Other, Night's Queen, and quite possibly Nissa-Nissa herownself, blue and white. (I think there is something important in these colors and the peepers of various players- Bloodraven's one red eye and a white root, for example, or Euron's heterochromia).

Green seems to represent a force being spread or unleased? In the Old Gods' system green is normal, vegetative growth (as opposed to the weirwoods blood-related red leaves) and the natural order they seem to oversee if not necessarily follow. Under R'hlorr it is linked with Wildfire, fire made... fluid. No ideas on what might be analagous in the Deep Ones or Others' systems.

I do not believe the Warlocks have their own system, btw, but that they use a version of the Deep Ones' (almost certainly coming by way of the Cult of Starry Wisdom) focused through the Blue Heart of a Shade-poisoned dragon.

14 hours ago, TheSeason said:

The god has two eyes (two versions of total solar eclipse), one "blinded" in pursuit of fell, sorcerous knowledge and power (the solar deity overreaching himself, resulting in a fall, like Icarus, like Bran--and, I think, like Euron too). That Euron's other eye is called his "smiling eye" also puts me in mind of the celestial event -- the "red smile" given to the Horned King (promised prince) by his father's--and technically his mother's--own hands (significant, as it is the moon that horns)!

Love it. At some point I think there should be an entire eclipse thread. So much going on there. I'll circle back to your other post at some point, by the way, A lot going on there.

16 hours ago, TheSeason said:

I don't remember Turnberry. What's the context? 

Turnberry is mentioned briefly in a Sansa PoV in the context of Margery's handmaids. IIRC, he is one of Renly's men who switched sides after the Battle of Blackwater and apparently he wears his eyepatch over perfectly normal eyes- he sometimes covers one, sometimes the other. Less indicative of anything arcane than a comment on his loyalty, I suspect.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:27 AM, hiemal said:

Like Doyle's Dog barking there are some elements that are notable in the Song by their absence. I'd like to collect a few that bug me and invite you to add your own.

1. Eclipses! As my portrait suggests this is a big one for me. With their cosmological relationship to the Long Night and the theme of usurpation of power that runs through the series as well as the maersters scanning the skies and making calculations this should be more prominent I feel. The image of the fiery crown (corona) on a shadowed face lies at the heart of the Blood betrayal and is the key to the god of Flame and Shadow- or at least so I hypothesize.

Maybe GRRM simply realized the geometry and proportions of our own sun and moon won't be the same on other planets such as Planetos.  Our sun is about 400 times the diameter of our moon but our sun is also about 400 times further from earth than our moon is.  This results in the sun and the moon having the same apparent size in our sky.  And our moon is moving very very slowly away from earth which means that the moon will eventually appear too small in the sky to actually cover the sun completely during an eclipse.  Some solar eclipses are already described as "annular" when the moon is at it's most distant phase of orbit during an eclipse and fails to completely blot out the light of the sun.  No corona is visible during an annular eclipse.  If the moon(s?) orbiting Planetos are smaller than our huge moon they will lack the ability to blot out the sun and no corona will be associated with the event.  Also, if the moon orbiting Planetos is significantly smaller than our own moon there will be weaker tides.

1 hour ago, White Ravens said:

Maybe GRRM simply realized the geometry and proportions of our own sun and moon won't be the same on other planets such as Planetos.  Our sun is about 400 times the diameter of our moon but our sun is also about 400 times further from earth than our moon is.  This results in the sun and the moon having the same apparent size in our sky.  And our moon is moving very very slowly away from earth which means that the moon will eventually appear too small in the sky to actually cover the sun completely during an eclipse.  Some solar eclipses are already described as "annular" when the moon is at it's most distant phase of orbit during an eclipse and fails to completely blot out the light of the sun.  No corona is visible during an annular eclipse.  If the moon(s?) orbiting Planetos are smaller than our huge moon they will lack the ability to blot out the sun and no corona will be associated with the event.  Also, if the moon orbiting Planetos is significantly smaller than our own moon there will be weaker tides.

That is precisely one of my own lines of reasoning regarding eclipses, both factoring in the popular theoretical "second moon" possibly filiing the role and leaving legends of the event to provide mythical memory and with the single moon being moved somewhat to the same effect. Of course all of those would have effects on the tides as well, but given the history of cataclysm that doesn't seem to be too problematic. As of now, I don't have any favorites...

On 10/21/2017 at 1:27 PM, hiemal said:

Like Doyle's Dog barking there are some elements that are notable in the Song by their absence. I'd like to collect a few that bug me and invite you to add your own.

1. Eclipses! As my portrait suggests this is a big one for me. With their cosmological relationship to the Long Night and the theme of usurpation of power that runs through the series as well as the maesters scanning the skies and making calculations this should be more prominent I feel. The image of the fiery crown (corona) on a shadowed face lies at the heart of the Blood betrayal and is the key to the god of Flame and Shadow- or at least so I hypothesize.

2. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions!

Do you care to speculate about the sigil of House Pryor with regard to your good eclipse analysis? Their sigil is a partial eclipse. The House or the family may never directly appear in the books, but it seems significant to me that it is located closest to The Fingers (Home of Mr. Baelish) of any House mentioned and that it is loyal to House Arryn, which controls the Moon Door and the Moon Gate. With the earthquake / avalanche theory outlined some time ago in this forum - and also associated with the Vale - it seems as if we might see some tectonic and / or celestial action to check off a couple of things from your MIA list. What kind of foreshadowing could be represented by the Pryors, if any?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Pryor

1 hour ago, Seams said:

Do you care to speculate about the sigil of House Pryor with regard to your good eclipse analysis? 

So I don't know about the Pryors, as long as they have no members named Terrelle it's intriguing!

I have a question for those here about black blood though...

The imagery appears a lot, and in reference to various things. I was looking to see if anyone had some brilliant thoughts...

Brothers of the Night's Watch have "Black Blood".

You might say as Benjen Stark is why we're talking, though. His bloodran black. Made him my brother as much as yours.

Craster has Black Blood, seemingly from his Crow father, or because he's a bastard.

Once a man had said the words his blood was blackBlack as a bastard's heart.

Dragons bleed black blood.

Clodhands has maybe the most literal black blood, also nights watch.

And then there are the Hoares... 

where do they go? Wait no wrong question

They too are said to have Black Blood. 

The Andals intermarried with some of the ancient families of the islands and brought others to a bloody end with sword and axe. House Greyiron was amongst those destroyed. The last Iron King, Rognar II, was brought down when the Orkwoods, Drumms, Hoares, and Greyjoys made common cause against him, supported by a host of Andal pirates, sellswords, and warlords.

And...

Archmaester Hake tells us that the kings of House Hoare were, "black of hair, black of eye, and black of heart." Their foes claimed their blood was black as well, darkened by the "Andal taint," for many of the early Hoare kings took maidens of that ilk to wife. True ironborn had salt water in their veins, the priests of the Drowned God proclaimed; the black-blooded Hoares were false kings, ungodly usurpers who must be cast down.

The priests of the Drowned God denounced them all. Were the kings of House Hoare truly as ungodly as these holy men proclaimed? Hake believes they were, but Archmaester Haereg takes a very different view, suggesting that the true crime of the "black-blooded" kings was neither impiety nor demon-worship, but tolerance. For it was under the Hoares that the Faith of the Andals came to the Iron Islands for the first time.

I just feel like there is a better common thread here than I've really figured out...

5 hours ago, Seams said:

Do you care to speculate about the sigil of House Pryor with regard to your good eclipse analysis? Their sigil is a partial eclipse. The House or the family may never directly appear in the books, but it seems significant to me that it is located closest to The Fingers (Home of Mr. Baelish) of any House mentioned and that it is loyal to House Arryn, which controls the Moon Door and the Moon Gate. With the earthquake / avalanche theory outlined some time ago in this forum - and also associated with the Vale - it seems as if we might see some tectonic and / or celestial action to check off a couple of things from your MIA list. What kind of foreshadowing could be represented by the Pryors, if any?

Zounds! I had no idea such a suggestive sigil existed! I wonder if the Pryors are Andals or do they, like the Royces, remember something important that others may have forgotten?

I have previously tried to link each of the Seven Kingdoms with one of the Seven (Dorne=The Maiden, the Stormlands=the Warrior, Westerlands=the Smith, the Reach=the Mother, etc) with the Vale being the Crone with her moon/lamp. If the Pryors are First Men their sigil could reflect the usurpation of the Old Gods by the New and if they are Andals, the "victory" of wisdom over justice, of comfortable, cautious  inaction over hard choices?

I'm going to have to do some remedial reading on Sweetsunrays quakes.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, hiemal said:

Lots of very specific and confusing things.

....whut?

Why are these very specific and rare/specialty events/things "notable" by their absence? 

We don't see every aspect or event that has happened in the world since it's creation so...I dunno why things like eclipses or earthquakes/eruptions simply not happening during ASOIAF and not being specifically pointed out in the backstory is "weird"? Only because you have constructed a hidden meaning to those things which requires them to be important doesn't mean it actually exists in the tex or that they have to be important. 

Why should there be Virgin Birth or Menstrual Magic? GRRM isn't required to put every single type of magic into the books. Same with every type of food, plant of animal.

And for all we know the winters are regular, little ice ages.

I mean it's like saying "There's no Gorgons in ASOIAF, whatever is up with that?"

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

....whut?

Why are these very specific and rare/specialty events/things "notable" by their absence? 

Because I noted their absence.

Duh

Archived