Does knighthood require a specific act/deed

Davjos

2 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Exceptions may they be, but such exceptions apparently can be made whenever the people concerned just feel like it. Ser Glendon's "great feat" was offering his little sister's cherry in trade (an accompanying remark: "when he was squiring for Ser Arlan, Dunk had heard tales of other men who’d bought their knighthood with a kindness or a threat or a bag of silver coins, but never with a sister’s maiden-head").

Forgot to add bribes, yes there are those too, LF talks about some vale noble taking a merchant's son as a squire for Money for another example. But my point still stands, the norm of it is being a squire for sometime but there are of course exceptions, if you perform a great deed or have proven a valuable asset, you are granted it as a gift of sorts or if you are a knight you can just knight anyone out of any reason you can think if you feel like it. Maybe you'll go on a spree knighting every eighth person you encounter on the road just because you thought it's a fun thing to do.

48 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think that's a very fair assumption.  The thing with knights in this story is you have them showing up long before the Andals brought them with their 7 pointed star indicating that there were knights running about doing valiant deeds during the Age of Heroes.  What is the Order of the Green Hand?   What is the Order of Green Men?   Maybe not knights, but something for sure.   The point is there are many cultures at play in Westeros with each bringing their own ideals to define knights.  (And kings and women and marriage and faith and learning and medicine...)   The BWB or knights of the hollow hill are considered outlaws by many, certainly by those with the highest power.   But look at their supporters and you will see they are knights after a fashion, at least to the extent that they have taken up the cause of the small folk.   What other orphanages have we read of being established in the wake of TWO5K?   Who's running the single 1 I can recall?    Who's out exacting revenge for the atrocities committed at the Red Wedding?   The BWB is up to so many things.   These knights of the hollow hill are doing the work of real knights in my estimation at any rate.   Knights of the Seven are likely just the popular order.   The other orders need not be considered less if they are not anointed in the light of the Seven.   Is a regular fire fighter any less brave or skilled than a stunt man or spy or trauma nurse? 

It has always bothered me, whenever we get a description of Andal's coming to westeros, it is with ships and these ships are mostly described as longsgips so likely no horses and we also know for certain that firstmen came with horses and yet people in the books think knighthood came with Andals. Is it a mistake by GRRM or is it just a discrepancy in universe and maesters are just dumb?

38 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

It has always bothered me, whenever we get a description of Andal's coming to westeros, it is with ships and these ships are mostly described as longsgips so likely no horses and we also know for certain that firstmen came with horses and yet people in the books think knighthood came with Andals. Is it a mistake by GRRM or is it just a discrepancy in universe and maesters are just dumb?

You make a great point there.    I think it's a conspiracy.  

10 hours ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

If you are from rich and powerful family you can be knight with Tyrion's fighting skills. If you are lowborn you need to save some noble ass or kill like 50 enemies in battle for a Lord.

This seems to be the case. Just look at Ser Cleos Frey. 

10 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Oh, those gray rats, twisting the words for their own ends!

Wait a minute, I had a recollection.  The Andals brought the written word to Westeros.   How about they adopted knights as a thing they invented when in reality the 1st Men already had the sport/art/social conscience already in place?   Those rats, indeed.    The 1st Men could not write their practices down, unless someone has the decoder ring for Royce's armor...It's time to rethink those Andals in a place where Ser Galladon, Symeon Star Eyes and Florian the Fool were bleeding legendary.   

Generally I would think that there would be no major feat of arms needed to be knighted. Once a squire proved himself capable enough with arms, as long as he has the money to equip himself, he's all good to go. Actually, I figure these would be the majority of knighthoods, with the knighted after battle/bribe/smuggling being more rare.

Archived