Best ASOIAF Quotes?

A_Man_Has_No_Name

So I am absolutely obsessed with quotes from these books, and was wondering which quotes you guys liked the most. Some of my favorites are-

"Just because a man can sing about battles doesn't mean he's fit to fight one." - Samwell Tarly.

"You're mine. Mine as I'm yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die, Jon Snow. But first we'll live." - Ygritte

"The man who fears losing has already lost."

"The wounds snow made, snow conceals." - Theon Greyjoy.

Those are only a few, but I'm excited to see which ones you all found interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Some I've collected:

“It is hard to take orders from a man you (laugh) at in your cups.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 4 - Will)

“Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?”
“That is the only time a man can be brave.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 12 - Eddard Stark)

“If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. … A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 13 - Eddard Stark)

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 40  - Tyrion Lannister)

“Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 69 - Jon Snow)

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 86 - Tyrion Lannister)

“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 88 - Tyrion Lannister)

“There’s much to be said for taking people unawares. You never know what you might learn.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 127 - Tyrion Lannister)

“Let them see that their words can cut you, and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 128 - Tyrion Lannister)

“If a man paints a target on his chest, he should expect that sooner or later someone will loose an arrow at him.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 139 - Tyrion Lannister)

... I've got more. These are just a few from the first book. 

"There are no men like me, there's only me"

"Stick them with the pointy end" 

"Edd, fetch me a block."

I love these threads. There are so many more awesome quotes but I can't quote them at the moment. I'll post some more later unless someone else beats me to it :)

Some more from Book 1:

“We all need to be mocked from time to time, lest we start to take ourselves too seriously.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 140 - Tyrion Lannister)

“A lord needs to eat with his men, if he hopes to keep them. Know the men who follow you, and let them know you. Don’t ask your men to die for a stranger.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 148 - Ned Stark)

“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 152 - Ned Stark)

“The man as asks the question must bear the answer.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 169 - Yoren)

“Minds are like swords, I do fear. The old ones go to rust.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 170 - Pycelle)

“Grief can derange even the strongest and most disciplined of minds.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 172 - Pycelle)

“The world (is) full of cravens who (pretend) to be heroes; it (takes) a queer sort of courage to admit to cowardice.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 179 - Jon Snow)

“Silence sometimes (yields) more than questions.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 190 - Eddard Stark)

“When you find yourself in bed with an ugly woman, the best thing to do is close your eyes and get on with it. Waiting won’t make the maid any prettier. Kiss her and be done with it.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 240 - Littlefinger)

“Never trust what a man tells you from his knees.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 317 - Eddard Stark)

The rest from Book 1:

“It (is) queer how sometimes a child’s innocent eyes can see things that grown men are blind to.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 329 - Eddard Stark)

“The things we love destroy us every time.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 385 - Jeor Mormont)

“Laughter is poison to fear.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 411 - Catelyn Stark)

“A lord must learn that sometimes words can accomplish what swords cannot.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 438 - Catelyn Stark)

“Some truths (do) not bear saying, and some lies (are) necessary.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 440 - Catelyn Stark)

“Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty. … What is honor compared to a woman’s love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms... or the memory of a brother’s smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

A Game of Thrones (Book 1 Page 452 - Maester Aemon) 

“A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in every man’s life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose.”

I love reading these threads. Haven't re-read in a long. A quote from Feast, something I was reading recently.

The singers would have us believe it was all Rhaegar and Robert struggling in the stream for a woman both of them claimed to love, but I assure you, other men were fighting too, and I was one.

Elder Brother.

6 hours ago, erra said:

“Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty. … What is honor compared to a woman’s love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms... or the memory of a brother’s smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

“A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in every man’s life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose.”

By far my two most favourite quotes in ASoIaF.

I hope it's ok if I keep adding more. On one of my re-reads I tried to get as many as possible. 

Here's what I got out of book 2:

“Schemes are like fruit, they require a certain ripening.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 40 - Tyrion Lannister)

“There’s no shame in fear, …  what matters is how we face it.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 62 - Jon Snow)

“Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 63 - Donal Noye)

“He who hurries through life hurries to his grave.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 97 - Salladhor Saan)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 146 - Tyrion Lannister)

“A show of generosity never (hurts).”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 168 - Tyrion Lannister)

“A wise man (does) not pour wildfire on a brazier.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 200 - Tyrion Lannister)

“Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 215 - Catelyn Stark)

“Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 241 - Theon Greyjoy)

“It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 281 - Tyrion Lannister)

“Sorcery is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 307 - Tyrion Lannister)

“If the fire (is) too hot, you could hardly keep the pudding from scorching by tossing a handful of raisins in the pot.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 369 - Tyrion Lannister)

“If you can’t protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don’t ever believe any different.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 469 - Sandor Clegane)

“Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same.”

A Clash of Kings (book 2 Page 471 - Cersei Lannister)

“People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it’s served up.”

A Clash of Kings (Book 2 Page 490 - Tyrion Lannister)

"I never asked for this. No more than I asked to be King. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. But we must... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty".

~King Stannis I Baratheon

"No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise".

~Tywin Lannister

"Know the men who follow you and let them know you. Don't ask your men to die for a stranger".

~Eddard Stark

Hugo Wull has some great dialogue......

Robin Peasebury:  Your ill counsel forced this march upon us. I am starting to suspect you have been Bolton's creature all along. Is that the way of it? Did he send you to us to whisper poison in the king's ear?

Hugo Wull:  ''Lord Pea Pod. If you were a man, I would kill you for that, but my sword is made of too fine a steel to besmirch with craven's blood. Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been''.

Corliss Penny:  Do you want to die, Wull?

Hugo Wull:   ''I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue''.

[ADWD, The Kings Prize]

I so hope we get to see Hugo Wull lick Bolton blood off his lips. More Big Bucket Wull please George.

And of course Nimble Dick.......

"Ser Clarence Crabb would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m'lady. If they'd ever have met, there'd be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf at the Whispers, you ask me. 'I should have used the magic sword,' it'd be saying to all the other heads. 'I should have used the bloody sword.''  

[AFFC, Brienne IV]

:lol:

9 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Northern tribes, criminally under rated... anything for the Ned

Agreed, the northern tribes/Hugo 'Big Bucket' Wull/Winterfell battle is right up there as one of the arcs I can't wait to read in TWOW.  :cheers:  We need more of 'the Wull'  :D

I'm loving these others. Here are some from Book 3:

“(One) must listen to all, the highborn and the low, the strong and the weak, the noble and the venal. One voice may speak you false, but in many there is always truth to be found.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 79 - Daenerys Targaryen) 

“In the world as I have seen it, no man grows rich by kindness.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 82 - Jorah Mormont)

“War makes thieves of many honest folk.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 130 - Tom Sevenstrings)

“If a man does not use his member it grows smaller and smaller, until one day he wants to piss and cannot find it.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 146 - Tormund Giantsbane)

“A peasant may skin a common squirrel for his pot, but if he finds a gold squirrel in his tree he takes it to his lord, or he will wish he did.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 164 - Greenbeard the Tyroshi)

“A man cannot sup from the beggar’s bowl all his life and stay a man.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 225 - Daenerys Targaryen)

“There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs. The scent of blood is all it takes to wake him.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 228 - Jorah Mormont)

“Old stories are like old friends, you have to visit them from time to time.”

A Storm of Swords (Book 3 Page 235 - Old Nan)

• 4 weeks later...

Did Ramsay mention Theon Greyjoy?” Robb demanded.

Robb in Storm Of Swords about Theon.

“Her name’s Brienne.”

“What happened to Theon Greyjoy? Was he slain?”

"She was undeniably a beauty. But your first is always beautiful. Theon Greyjoy thought. ‘Now there’s a pretty grin,’ a woman’s voice said behind him. 'The lordling likes the look of her does he?’ Theon turned to give her an appraising glance. He liked what he saw. Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and long legged, with black hair cut short, wind chafed skin, strong sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose to big and too sharp for her thin face. But her smile made up for it. He judged her a few years older than he was, but no more than five-and-twenty. She moved as if she were used to a deck beneath her feet."

Theon about Asha in A Clash Of Kings. 

Archived