The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Yeah. Like why does that random Savior prisoner Maggie shot in the last episode deserve to die, but Negan deserves to live? There is no way Negan lives in a realistic setting in such a world. His supporters, sure, that shows mercy and humanity. Negan? It just makes no sense.

That and the amount of people that would want him dead would probably cause the society to fall apart in outrage if they didn't execute him.

23 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I do have to admit that a post-post-apocalyptic society wherein a reformed Neegan works for Preisdent Qwarrll Grimes keeping the peace in the New Virginia (?) Republic would make for an excellent show.

That'd be fun.

Spin-off show. Qwarrll has delayed reaction to bite (because he's the chosen one) but he and Neagan have to set off on a quest for the golden zombie to gain a full cure.

I still need to watch Season 7, let alone 8, but couldn't avoid this spoiler. It seems a bit weird. Isn't the whole point of the story that Carl is growing up in this world, adapting to it and will be one of the first of the younger generation to take over from Rick? This seems weird, especially since there is an expectation that Andrew Lincoln and maybe Reedus probably don't have too many years left in the show before they'd want to leave/become too expensive. Given how ludicrously penny-pinching AMC is with this show, I'm surprised they haven't let them go already (but maybe that's too big a risk for them).

Riggs' father was also very clear-cut. Apparently Gimple confirmed just a few weeks before the shoot that the current plan is for the show to run another 3 seasons (so up to Season 11) and he wanted Carl in the whole show up until the end. He apparently changed his mind for shock value. I guess he's concerned about the ratings tanking and he won't get that long to wrap everything up in.

Why are people upset at killing off Carl?  fair to say he's the worst actor on that show and was steeped in so much plot armor it made the character one of the worst in a show filled with poor characters.  Is it just because he's still alive in the comic?  Judith can fill the whole "inheriting the world from Rick" angle

6 hours ago, grozeng said:

So does it look now like Carl was bit in the woods with that guy last episode and the whole "kill me" thing to Negan was because he was bit already and if Negan actually did it, he was dead anyway and it would buy some more time.

Yep.  People say it takes away from that scene, but I think the opposite.  It's Carl's Attica.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

That and the amount of people that would want him dead would probably cause the society to fall apart in outrage if they didn't execute him.

In terms of the show, the capacity of the Saviors is wholly ludicrous.  They're on the precipice of surrender for the first 7 of 8 episodes.  Then, not only are they not due to Eugene's magical mystery tour, but they all of a sudden have both the personnel and firepower to basically instantly dominate all three communities.  How Negan remains in charge instead of someone (anyone) killing him is the least of the show's problems.  To be clear, it's also pretty stupid in the comic as well, but considering the source I'm not too surprised.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I don't think it is clear cut at all.  Seems to me it's entirely possible that Riggs wanted to work part time, or some type of schedule that Gimple was unwilling to acquiesce to.  Maybe you have more information than I do, but I admit I have a strong disposition that I don't think anyone would kill off Carl unless they thought it was necessary.  Dad's get mad.

I really liked the Carl and Negan scene.  Never read the comics, so I am not partial to what happens there, but the whole episode was set up for him to die.  If they did something else it would have seemed strange.  I read some of the net about the Whisperers and now am kind of sad they are killing him off.  

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

I really liked the Carl and Negan scene.

Sorry, don't mean to pick on you with the following, just riffing off that thought.  I think there's quite a bit of romanticism about Carl and Negan among comic readers that is not proportional to how much it actually mattered.  Carl wanted to move to Hilltop, and Negan encouraged him to move to Hilltop - in the process of giving him advice on a teen crush.  That's about it.

I have absolutely zero confidence in the current writing staff executing well based off this current season, but the Carl-Negan comic relationship is overwrought and easily replaceable.  Now, Carl's importance in general...yeah.  I've always assumed he'll be the last man standing.  So that's a difference.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Who's still alive in the comics?  I've been meaning to catch up, but keep forgetting.  I think the last I read they'd just started go off in boats.  

Eugene is pretty damn integral - he's leading a small group that is trying to connect with a group in Ohio that is apparently very well situated.  Michonne is with him, as is comic Siddiq.  Their travels allowed Kirkman to pay homage to Pittsburgh, but it was ultimately underwhelming.  Andrea died recently...in terms of who's still alive I suppose it's Jesus and Aaron, Rick and Carl, Maggie and Sophia...and that's about it in terms of TV characters.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but the show will never kill off Daryl or Carol - the latter for damn good reason - so they always have reserves.

49 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Eugene is pretty damn integral - he's leading a small group that is trying to connect with a group in Ohio that is apparently very well situated.  Michonne is with him, as is comic Siddiq.  Their travels allowed Kirkman to pay homage to Pittsburgh, but it was ultimately underwhelming.  Andrea died recently...in terms of who's still alive I suppose it's Jesus and Aaron, Rick and Carl, Maggie and Sophia...and that's about it in terms of TV characters.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but the show will never kill off Daryl or Carol - the latter for damn good reason - so they always have reserves.

And Dwight.  

18 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

So in between all the incoherence, plot holes and bad editing, did they actually reveal how Eugene got the Saviors out of the Sanctuary? Cause if so, I missed it. 

Not that I can tell.  Was complaining about this earlier.

I read one quote from gimple and it seemed intentionally open to interpretation. Said something about Carl's bite changing everything. I certainly wouldn't rule out Carl being immune to death by bite. After all, that isn't a cure for zombification just a cure from dying of their bite .

14 hours ago, dooog said:

Why are people upset at killing off Carl?  fair to say he's the worst actor on that show and was steeped in so much plot armor it made the character one of the worst in a show filled with poor characters.  Is it just because he's still alive in the comic?  Judith can fill the whole "inheriting the world from Rick" angle

Yeahhh if I hadn’t already quit watching this show having to watch Carl as the main character would’ve surely made me quit. No way that dude could carry a show. 

16 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Sorry, don't mean to pick on you with the following, just riffing off that thought.  I think there's quite a bit of romanticism about Carl and Negan among comic readers that is not proportional to how much it actually mattered. 

No problem.  I never read the comics so I don't know what happens there beyond bits and pieces from the board spoilers.  I just liked the scene.  I like how the two actors played off each other and that Negan actually thought they had a moment there.  I kind of think Carl was being honest with what he was saying (and was already bit so was prepared to die if Negan went crazy).  I just thought the scene was well done.

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeahhh if I hadn’t already quit watching this show having to watch Carl as the main character would’ve surely made me quit. No way that dude could carry a show. 

Riggs was starting to really grow on me. Carl’s character was a pretty normal annoying kid for a long time in the comics so I think it played decently on screen. Lori was the character that made me want to scream. 

I haven’t been able to find anything about Kirkman’s feelings on Carl’s death but that may be deliberate on his part. 

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I think a lot of people have more of an issue with not trusting the death, or the feeling it was a "stunt death", 

than any real attachment to the character?

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Given Kirkman's new deal with Amazon, is he even still involved in the show these days?

I think Amazon should have checked the rest of his comics IP before doing that deal. Given Outcast and Invincible are already shows or in film development most of his existing hits are taken.Hopefully it's with his skybound comics line as that includes other creator's work too. Manifest Destiny could work really well as a tv show.

I'd be chasing after Brubaker (amazon already have a deal with him), Rick Remender, Jonathan Hickman, Brian K Vaughan, Jason Aaron and Greg Rucka (someone's adapting Lazarus) over Kirkman. All those creators have a variety of different comics that could make interesting TV shows. I guess they went for proven record in TV over genuine potential and range of projects.

29 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think a lot of people have more of an issue with not trusting the death, or the feeling it was a "stunt death", 

than any real attachment to the character?

I think Amazon should have checked the rest of his comics IP before doing that deal. Given Outcast and Invincible are already shows or in film development most of his existing hits are taken.Hopefully it's with his skybound comics line as that includes other creator's work too. Manifest Destiny could work really well as a tv show.

I'd be chasing after Brubaker (amazon already have a deal with him), Rick Remender, Jonathan Hickman, Brian K Vaughan, Jason Aaron and Greg Rucka (someone's adapting Lazarus) over Kirkman. All those creators have a variety of different comics that could make interesting TV shows. I guess they went for proven record in TV over genuine potential and range of projects.

Y: the last man would make a good series, imo. I thought after the rights were released again someone would pick it up but I guess not. 

Archived