Justice League Action - Must Watch For DCAU Fans!

drawkcabi

Noticed this on Cartoon Network and ignored it because I thought maybe it would be like the loathsome Teen Titans Go but I finally watched an episode and it is far and away not. It is a true spiritual successor, if in a lighthearted way, to the Bruce Timm DCAU. Alan Burnett who produced most of the other DCAU projects is producing this and a couple other familiar names are in the producer/writer/director credits like Doug Murphy and Curt Geda.

This is just a fun show. Each episode is only around 12 minutes long. They're all available on Xfinity on Demand for me and that's how I've been watching them. It's available on Amazon Video too but not for free, even with Amazon Prime.

There's some amazing voice talent.

Kevin Conroy back as Batman in an animated series - need I say more? I shouldn't have to, but I'm going to anyway. So yeah, it's written so younger audiences can enjoy it, but it's not written down to them and there's so much good story, easter eggs, and references for all ages to enjoy. Yes, it's on the silly and campy side like Batman: Brave and the Bold was, but it's kind of like, or really almost exactly like they took the Batman: TAS  Batman and threw him into Batman: Brave and the Bold's universe. So you have a serious Batman suffering the fun and foolishness of silver age inspired DC comics stories. It actually really works well. Meanwhile, Deidrich Bader who was the voice of Batman in BatB has been relegated to voicing Booster Gold in this series.

Mark Hamill is back as Joker which is awesome. The guy the got to voice Superman I thought was Tim Daly until I saw in the credits it wasn't. They didn't get Clancy Brown (AKA The Kurgan) back as Lex Luthor but who they did get is freaking James Woods.

I had to check more than once that the guy who was doing the voice of Firestorm was not Carrot Top because he sounds just like him, and now you wan't be able to stop thinking that either if you watch this whenever you see him. I know, it's horrifying to even consider but I guess because it's not him Firestorm isn't that bad a character at all. Plus, they got Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Ryerson!) as Professor Stein.

Among other characters that show up are Cyborg, Flash, Hal Jordan, Zatanna, Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) , Plastic Man, John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Mister Miracle, Mr. Terrific, Shazam, Space Cabbie (voiced by Patton Oswalt) Mxysptlk (once again voiced by Gilbert Gotfried) Solomon Grundy, Felix Faust, Amazo, Mongol, and Darkseid.

So many homages to Batman: TAS here, in fact there's one episode completely dedicated to it. I think most of the people if they didn't work on that show themselves must have been big fans of it.

Some Spoilers: 

Spoiler

The TAS homage episode is called "Time Share" where Batman and Blue Beetle go back in time to Batman's first case as Batman and the whole episode - the look, designs, layout, background, music, it's all done in TAS style.

The episode where Booster Gold brings Dinosaurs from the past into the present, then he and Green Arrow go into the future and discover they've evolved into an advanced civilzation, then they go back in time to undo it...I thought, "well then they're obviously not going to address the serious repercussions of what they are doing, not in a silly cartoon" then Green Arrow does bring it up and it gives him pause to consider what he's doing but - oops too late Booster Gold all ready undoes it. An entire civilization gone, wiped from existence! That's some heavy shit for such a campy show.

The episode where Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman forget that they are their superhero personas and only think they are their secret identities...when Firestorm tries to coach Batman in how to talk as Batman "I'm Batman", "I'm Batman", "I'm Batman" having Kevin Conroy spoof on his own way of speaking as Batman, then make fun of how Christian Bale did it so gravelly voiced, just how Batman saying "I'm Batman!" is such a catchphrase...it's just... :lol::lol::lol: 

This show is just real good stuff. I recommend it!

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Gilbert Gotfried as Mxysptlk should be worth the price of admission alone. Will have to check this out.

He voiced the character in two episodes of the 90's Superman animated series too.

Just watched "Trick or Threat" today, another great episode.

Spoiler

Batman: "I got a chocolate bar."

Zatanna: "I got a bag of taffy."

Dr. Fate: "I got a popcorn ball."

John Constantine: I got a rock...candy stick. Bit of alright, actually." :lol: 

Moments like that just more endear the series to me.

In another episode, "Play Date", Toyman turns  the Justice League into avatars for his "Boulevard Brawler" video game and plays Cyborg.  

Just so much win!

When Toyman playing Superman against Cyborg playing Batman, Toyman has Superman throw his shield at Batman and envelope him like Superman did to Non in Superman II.

Cyborg: "Hey! Superman can't do that!"

2 hours ago, red snow said:

might have to check this out. Is this the show that took the piss out of BvS with a scene where Lex Luthor essentially came up with the same plan to defeat Superman that batfleck did and superman essentially trounces over it all?

Indeed it was :)

Wow, and I didn't even know about these shorter ones!

That was totally brilliant!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 

So I see there is a bunch of these ~two minute "shorts" on YouTube. The ones I've been watching are ~12 minutes and have more of an all around story, but yeah it's all the same animation, same voices, same continuity, same spirit of taking the entire richness of the DC comics universes and letting go to have great fun with it.

An episode I watched today had The Riddler in it. Brent Spiner played Nygma's voice and he was great. IMHO they found the voice actor for the character and I hope he becomes as iconic as Conroy and Hamill are with theirs.

15 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Wow, and I didn't even know about these shorter ones!

That was totally brilliant!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 

So I see there is a bunch of these ~two minute "shorts" on YouTube. The ones I've been watching are ~12 minutes and have more of an all around story, but yeah it's all the same animation, same voices, same continuity, same spirit of taking the entire richness of the DC comics universes and letting go to have great fun with it.

An episode I watched today had The Riddler in it. Brent Spiner played Nygma's voice and he was great. IMHO they found the voice actor for the character and I hope he becomes as iconic as Conroy and Hamill are with theirs.

I'm sure Spiner would be great, but Frank Gorshin will always be the quintessential Riddler to me.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm sure Spiner would be great, but Frank Gorshin will always be the quintessential Riddler to me.

Absolutely.

I'm talking voices for animation though. Like Conroy is the animated Batman and Hamill is the animated Joker but you can debate about the actors who played those characters in live-action.

WWCJD? (What would Chuck Jones do?)

On 10/25/2017 at 2:16 PM, drawkcabi said:

Absolutely.

I'm talking voices for animation though. Like Conroy is the animated Batman and Hamill is the animated Joker but you can debate about the actors who played those characters in live-action.

WWCJD? (What would Chuck Jones do?)

That video was solid, cept I think Lobo makes a better Yosemite Sam analog than a Wile E Coyote one.

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That video was solid, cept I think Lobo makes a better Yosemite Sam analog than a Wile E Coyote one.

Agreed! That'd be spot on! Lex is much more Wile e. Coyote with his "genius" and penchant for elaborate traps, and Wile E. must have A LOT of money to keep buying all that stuff from ACME so his desire to eat Roadrunner is more obsession than necessity like Luthor's obsession with Superman.

I know it's be easy to put Luthor as Elmer Fudd, but that'd be only for the superficial follicle challenged reason. Bizarro makes the best Fudd, why does he have hair anyway, he should shave his head if he wants to keep going with that opposite Superman schtick.

Heh, I could talk Looney Tunes / DC Comics analogs all day.

2 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Agreed! That'd be spot on! Lex is much more Wile e. Coyote with his "genius" and penchant for elaborate traps, and Wile E. must have A LOT of money to keep buying all that stuff from ACME so his desire to eat Roadrunner is more obsession than necessity like Luthor's obsession with Superman.

I know it's be easy to put Luthor as Elmer Fudd, but that'd be only for the superficial follicle challenged reason. Bizarro makes the best Fudd, why does he have hair anyway, he should shave his head if he wants to keep going with that opposite Superman schtick.

Heh, I could talk Looney Tunes / DC Comics analogs all day.

Flash was certainly a natural match for the Roadrunner. I guess you'd have to go Captain Cold or maybe Grodd as the Coyote analog maybe? Luthor works, as you said, but he's not a natural Flash villian.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Flash was certainly a natural match for the Roadrunner. I guess you'd have to go Captain Cold or maybe Grodd as the Coyote analog maybe? Luthor works, as you said, but he's not a natural Flash villian.

Professor Zoom then. A version of him that's fast but just not quite as fast as Flash.

Archived