Most Powerful and Beautiful Moments

coolsaladgirl93

So I'm in the middle of a reread and I just got to Feast. On Brienne II there is that very sad and wonderful and touching moment where Pod says "I'm his squire, but he left me!" 

I was honestly very moved on this reread more so than any of my others. What are some of the most powerful moments for you reading? Not just sad moments, exciting and happy ones too! Just passages that left a profound impact on you that you think about often.

Some others for me would be Stannis' Proudwing monologue, "He would sooner have a living daughter than a shattered shield", Theon in the Godswood when his sanity is temporarily restored

So many wonderful moments, I love this series. <3 

"Unsullied!" Dany galloped before them, her silver-gold braid flying behind her, her bell chiming with every stride. "Slay the Good Masters, slay the soldiers, slay every man who wears a tokar or holds a whip, but harm no child under twelve, and strike the chains off every slave you see." She raised the harpy's fingers in the air...and then she flung the scourge aside. "Freedom!" she sang out. "Dracarys! Dracarys!"

"Dracarys" they shouted back, the sweetest word she'd ever heard. "Dracarys! Dracarys!"

And all around them slavers ran and sobbed and begged and died, and the dusty air was filled with spears and fire.

That chapter is my absolute favorite. I got goosebumps the first time I read it. 

It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb...Robb...please, Ned, please make it stop, make it stop hurting...The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved.

Just so much sadness and despair. What's even more depressing is, even after experiencing this much grief, her final moments don't allow her to remember Jon, the one child who she resented her whole life just for the sake of being born. She explained earlier that she had no reason to hate him, yet she still doesn't remember him at the end of her life. I had to put the book down for a while after reading this one.

"I will not hang him," said Jon. "Bring him here."

"Oh, Seven save us," he heard Bowen Marsh cry out

The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Edd, fetch me a block," and unsheathed Longclaw.

So satisfying

What Needle represents for Arya;

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile.

There was also that moment when she and Harwin reunited and how the emotion flowed both ways. I think that may have been the first moment when I felt legitimately choked up.

" Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?"

Ellaria Sand- a kind of minor character overall, but she has this one great moment, and it's so heartfelt. It makes you think of all the parents who have suffered, watching children throw their lives away on pointless wars and revenge plans, that achieve nothing.

You can also see her conflicted grief- the very things she loved so much about Oberyn, his passion and confidence, got him killed, and now she has to powerlessly watch her children and step children follow the same path. And she is left, alone in her grief.

Jaime had a lot of moments that had a powerful effect on me. The bear pit scene is incredible. His dream of Joanna was truly haunting, and the scene where Lancel admits to sleeping with Cersei was also rather poignant: everyone from Tyrion to Jaime himself expected him to lash out, but instead he just left Lancel to his prayers. It showed a lot of character development, as well as some really beautiful introspection.

The scene where Davos thinks he is to be executed, only for Stannis to then name him Hand, was also extremely powerful for me. One of the reasons why the Unkiss is so popular, aside from the obvious shipping, is because it was a really touching scene. Dany banishing Jorah was surprisingly heartbreaking. And of course, there's Wyman Manderly's assertion that the North remembers. 

Two scenes that have always stuck out to me, but especially moreso on reread, are Theon as the Ghost of Winterfell and Sansa building the snow castle of Winterfell.

For Theon, it's just so damn depressing and emotional to picture him there, taking in everything he's lost and then you sort of add in Winterfell (and by the extension the Starks) as a character in its own right and take stock of all the misery and pain inflicted on Winterfell and its residents.  Same goes for Sansa building Winterfell and dreaming of being back there.

Theon meeting Asha again in Stannis camp. 

Quentyn dying in Danearys bed. 

Penny's reaction when Tyrion in passing happens to say he likes her nose.

Joffrey dying. I think it's amazing that you hate him for three books straight, not one redeeming quality about him, but when he is dying at least I can't help but feel that it's so pointless and that he is only a child after all. A horrible, horrible child, but still a child.

Beautiful:

1. Jon Snow taking Sam under his wing/protection. "We're brothers now."
  2. I'm going to give Stannis "beautiful moment" credit. When Melisandre said Edric Storm defiled his marriage bed Stannis states: “Robert did that. Not the boy.”
  3. The Last of the Giants
  4. Sansa building the snowcastle and remembering home.

Powerful:

1. The speech about broken men that traveling Septon gives always is a tearjerker for me.

There's plenty of others I'm not thinking of.

I have a few that left me with a lump in my throat but off the top of my head.

Like a child pulling petals off a daisy, thought Jon. "Leathers, talk to him, calm him. The Old Tongue, he understands the Old Tongue. Keep back, the rest of you. Put away your steel, we're scaring him." Couldn't they see the giant had been cut? Jon had to put an end to this or more men would die. They had no idea of Wun Wun's strength. A horn, I need a horn. He saw the glint of steel, turned toward it. "No blades!" he screamed. "Wick, put that knife …"
… away, he meant to say. When Wick Whittlestick slashed at his throat, the word turned into a grunt. Jon twisted from the knife, just enough so it barely grazed his skin. He cut me. When he put his hand to the side of his neck, blood welled between his fingers. "Why?"

It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. "Ghost?" He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. "Ghost!" he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. "Gods, wolf, where have you been?" Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. "I thought you'd died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I've had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams." The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon's face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.

Meera began to cry.

Bran hated being crippled then. "Don't cry," he said. He wanted to put his arms around her, hold her tight the way his mother used to hold him back at Winterfell when he'd hurt himself. She was right there, only a few feet from him, but so far out of reach it might have been a hundred leagues. 

There are several more but that will do for now.

If we’re talking powerful, I’d have to choose both Wyman Manderly’s talk of vengeance and the mummer’s farce being nearly done, as well as the scene where Tyrion finds out just how badly Jaime truly treated him and vows revenge on his whole family (basically any scene of righteous revenge is part of what GRRM does best IMO).

I know about the promise ... Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The cityis built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!

That one still gives me goosebumps on every reread

Watching the flames, Bran decided he would stay awake till Meera came back. Jojen would be unhappy, he knew, but Meera would be glad for him, He did not remember closing his eyes.
… but then somehow he was back at Winterfell again, in the godswood looking down upon his father. Lord Eddard seemed much younger this time. His hair was brown, with no hint of grey in it, his head bowed. "… let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them," he prayed, "and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive …"

Powerful. Sheds me a tear or two even after so many years.

I would need to steal her if I wanted her love, but she might give me children. I might someday hold a son of my own blood in my arms. A son was something Jon Snow had never dared dream of, since he decided to live his life on the Wall. I could name him Robb. Val would want to keep her sister's son, but we could foster him at Winterfell, and Gilly's boy as well. Sam would never need to tell his lie. We'd find a place for Gilly too, and Sam could come visit her once a year or so. Mance's son and Craster's would grow up brothers, as I once did with Robb.

He wanted it, Jon knew then. He wanted it as much as he had ever wanted anything. I have always wanted it, he thought, guiltily. May the gods forgive me. It was a hunger inside him, sharp as a dragonglass blade. A hunger . . . he could feel it. It was food he needed, prey, a red deer that stank of fear or a great elk proud and defiant. He needed to kill and fill his belly with fresh meat and hot dark blood. His mouth began to water with the thought.

It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. "Ghost?" He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. "Ghost!" he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. "Gods, wolf, where have you been?" Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. "I thought you'd died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I've had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams." The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon's face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.
Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre's. He had a weirwood's eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they'd found in the late summer snows, him and Robb; five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.
He had his answer then.

Beneath the Wall, the queen's men were kindling their nightfire. He saw Melisandre emerge from the tunnel with the king beside her, to lead the prayers she believed would keep the dark away. "Come, Ghost," Jon told the wolf. "With me. You're hungry, I know. I could feel it." They ran together for the gate, circling wide around the nightfire, where reaching flames clawed at the black belly of the night.

Powerful and beautiful

The first pharagraph, is especially beautiful, showing how naive Jon still is, after all he's been through so far.

In terms of most powerful there are none that can equal the last moments of Game of Thrones.

And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.  The return of the dragons is the most significant moment.  Daenerys Targaryen became the mother of dragons and a great destiny is set.

7 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Powerful and beautiful

The first pharagraph, is especially beautiful, showing how naive Jon still is, after all he's been through so far.

I love this passage too. It is so well written and laden with symbolism but also such a  moving portrayal of Jon's character in a very straightforward way. There is definitely a naivety but also that honest sensitivity he has and that impulse to protect the innocent, even or maybe especially; bastards and abominations, who he sees as simply children. It also shows so powerfully the things in life he probably truly wants and believes he will or can not ever have, like a family, a lasting love or the power and respect of a Lord of Winterfell. I think Jon reflects on his family more than any other POV.

I wish I could quote passages too, but I am a hard copy reader still. Another favorite Jon passage for me is the conversation with Qhorin after he has let Ygritte live. Again he has that innate sensitivity and is able to look at her as a person and not an enemy. I love how Qhorin hears him out and then gives him a great lesson in leadership and knowing your men and their capabilities, as well as what constitutes a command. Then later he actually does command Jon and the point and counterpoint of those scenes are fantastic. Talk about life lessons. In many ways all the Jon and Qhorin ranging mission scenes are favorites. Jon's first wolf dream, the tunnel under the waterfall, the midnight climb, the showdown with Rattleshirt and company, etc. All good stuff.

I've been stirred in so many different ways to so many different scenes . Most of the ones mentioned here got me in some way too. Certainly a huge part of GRRM's genius is he can make you feel the gamut of emotions while feeding you mysteries layered with mysteries, great action followed by great discourse and then still blindside you when you think you know something is coming.

My girlfriend noticed me rubbing away some tears one night while on my first read and she always thinks it was when I read the Red Wedding chapter. She only knows what she's heard online or coworkers about the show and assumes that was the big tearjerker, but it was actually the Jaime and Brienne bathtub chapter where we find out about Aerys and the wildfire. I teared up thinking about what the weight of that would be on someone's psyche, the conflicting vows and the hypocrisy and how much Jaime lost to by choosing a heroic act. Loved by one for his worst act and reviled by all for his finest. I love the irony of it too. GRRM is so good at twisting those themes and the expectations of heroism. The Red Wedding was a great chapter too, but it filled me more with a pounding heart and feeling of dread and then shock at the end. Although the above quote  from Windbreaker is tragically sad, and the line about how Ned always loved her hair.

" Fetch me a block" is a perfect gift from the Old Gods.

There was one bit that stood out to me on my last read. It's really simple but gave me a good chuckle and a general happy feeling.

"Belaquo will win," Irri declared. "It is known."
"It is not known," Jhiqui said. "Belaquo will die."

It's the only time any of them say it is not known. After so many repeats of their catchphrase, to have it reversed really made me laugh.

Maybe not the most powerful but it's fresh on my mind. Sam's eulogy for Aemon. Short and simple words but they get me ever time. 

"He was a good man," he began . . . but as soon as he had said the words he knew that they were wrong. "No. He was a great man. A maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. When he was born they named him for a hero who had died too young, but though he lived a long long time,  his own life was no less heroic. No man was wiser, or gentler, or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that?" Sam felt the tears welling in his eyes, and knew he could not go on much longer. "He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch has ended."

Sam IV AFFC

3 hours ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

In terms of most powerful there are none that can equal the last moments of Game of Thrones.

And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.  The return of the dragons is the most significant moment.  Daenerys Targaryen became the mother of dragons and a great destiny is set.

This one gets me every time 

17 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I love this passage too. It is so well written and laden with symbolism but also such a  moving portrayal of Jon's character in a very straightforward way. There is definitely a naivety but also that honest sensitivity he has and that impulse to protect the innocent, even or maybe especially; bastards and abominations, who he sees as simply children. It also shows so powerfully the things in life he probably truly wants and believes he will or can not ever have, like a family, a lasting love or the power and respect of a Lord of Winterfell. I think Jon reflects on his family more than any other POV.

I wish I could quote passages too, but I am a hard copy reader still. Another favorite Jon passage for me is the conversation with Qhorin after he has let Ygritte live. Again he has that innate sensitivity and is able to look at her as a person and not an enemy. I love how Qhorin hears him out and then gives him a great lesson in leadership and knowing your men and their capabilities, as well as what constitutes a command. Then later he actually does command Jon and the point and counterpoint of those scenes are fantastic. Talk about life lessons. In many ways all the Jon and Qhorin ranging mission scenes are favorites. Jon's first wolf dream, the tunnel under the waterfall, the midnight climb, the showdown with Rattleshirt and company, etc. All good stuff.

I've been stirred in so many different ways to so many different scenes . Most of the ones mentioned here got me in some way too. Certainly a huge part of GRRM's genius is he can make you feel the gamut of emotions while feeding you mysteries layered with mysteries, great action followed by great discourse and then still blindside you when you think you know something is coming.

My girlfriend noticed me rubbing away some tears one night while on my first read and she always thinks it was when I read the Red Wedding chapter. She only knows what she's heard online or coworkers about the show and assumes that was the big tearjerker, but it was actually the Jaime and Brienne bathtub chapter where we find out about Aerys and the wildfire. I teared up thinking about what the weight of that would be on someone's psyche, the conflicting vows and the hypocrisy and how much Jaime lost to by choosing a heroic act. Loved by one for his worst act and reviled by all for his finest. I love the irony of it too. GRRM is so good at twisting those themes and the expectations of heroism. The Red Wedding was a great chapter too, but it filled me more with a pounding heart and feeling of dread and then shock at the end. Although the above quote  from Windbreaker is tragically sad, and the line about how Ned always loved her hair.

" Fetch me a block" is a perfect gift from the Old Gods.

That honest sensivity comes from his naivety, I think. Sansa is a close second to Jon on family reflecting, Tommen reminds her of Bran for example, this is probably the reason we get all that Jon and Sansa shipping (which I'm not against since I believe Val's not like to survive to the end).

I'm a hard copy reader myself, I am using asearchoficeandfire to get my quotes. If "it is not known" to you, then now "it is known":P

Here's the fetch me a block scene

Jon found Slynt breaking his fast in the common room. Ser Alliser Thorne was with him, and several of their cronies. They were laughing about something when Jon came down the steps with Iron Emmett and Dolorous Edd, and behind them Mully, Horse, Red Jack Crabb, Rusty Flowers, and Owen the Oaf. Three-Finger Hobb was ladling out porridge from his kettle. Queen's men, king's men, and black brothers sat at their separate tables, some bent over bowls of porridge, others filling their bellies with fried bread and bacon. Jon saw Pyp and Grenn at one table, Bowen Marsh at another. The air smelled of smoke and grease, and the clatter of knives and spoons echoed off the vaulted ceiling.
All the voices died at once.
"Lord Janos," Jon said, "I will give you one last chance. Put down that spoon and get to the stables. I have had your horse saddled and bridled. It is a long, hard road to Greyguard."
"Then you had best be on your way, boy." Slynt laughed, dribbling porridge down his chest. "Greyguard's a good place for the likes of you, I'm thinking. Well away from decent godly folk. The mark of the beast is on you, bastard."
"You are refusing to obey my order?"
"You can stick your order up your bastard's arse," said Slynt, his jowls quivering.
Alliser Thorne smiled a thin smile, his black eyes fixed on Jon. At another table, Godry the Giantslayer began to laugh.
"As you will." Jon nodded to Iron Emmett. "Please take Lord Janos to the Wall—"
—and confine him to an ice cell, he might have said. A day or ten cramped up inside the ice would leave him shivering and feverish and begging for release, Jon did not doubt. And the moment he is out, he and Thorne will begin to plot again.
—and tie him to his horse, he might have said. If Slynt did not wish to go to Greyguard as its commander, he could go as its cook. It will only be a matter of time until he deserts, then. And how many others will he take with him?
"—and hang him," Jon finished.
Janos Slynt's face went as white as milk. The spoon slipped from his fingers. Edd and Emmett crossed the room, their footsteps ringing on the stone floor. Bowen Marsh's mouth opened and closed though no words came out. Ser Alliser Thorne reached for his sword hilt. Go on, Jon thought. Longclaw was slung across his back. Show your steel. Give me cause to do the same.
Half the men in the hall were on their feet. Southron knights and men-at-arms, loyal to King Stannis or the red woman or both, and Sworn Brothers of the Night's Watch. Some had chosen Jon to be their lord commander. Others had cast their stones for Bowen Marsh, Ser Denys Mallister, Cotter Pyke … and some for Janos Slynt. Hundreds of them, as I recall. Jon wondered how many of those men were in the cellar right now. For a moment the world balanced on a sword's edge.
Alliser Thorne took his hand from his sword and stepped aside to let Edd Tollett pass.

Dolorous Edd took hold of Slynt by one arm, Iron Emmett by the other. Together they hauled him from the bench. "No," Lord Janos protested, flecks of porridge spraying from his lips. "No, unhand me. He's just a boy, a bastard. His father was a traitor. The mark of the beast is on him, that wolf of his … Let go of me! You will rue the day you laid hands on Janos Slynt. I have friends in King's Landing. I warn you—" He was still protesting as they half-marched, half-dragged him up the steps.
Jon followed them outside. Behind him, the cellar emptied. At the cage, Slynt wrenched loose for a moment and tried to make a fight of it, but Iron Emmett caught him by the throat and slammed him back against the iron bars until he desisted. By then all of Castle Black had come outside to watch. Even Val was at her window, her long golden braid across one shoulder. Stannis stood on the steps of the King's Tower, surrounded by his knights.

"If the boy thinks that he can frighten me, he is mistaken," they heard Lord Janos said. "He would not dare to hang me. Janos Slynt has friends, important friends, you'll see …" The wind whipped away the rest of his words.
This is wrong, Jon thought. "Stop."
Emmett turned back, frowning. "My lord?"
"I will not hang him," said Jon. "Bring him here."
"Oh, Seven save us," he heard Bowen Marsh cry out.
The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Edd, fetch me a block," and unsheathed Longclaw.
By the time a suitable chopping block was found, Lord Janos had retreated into the winch cage, but Iron Emmett went in after him and dragged him out. "No," Slynt cried, as Emmett half-shoved and halfpulled him across the yard. "Unhand me … you cannot … when Tywin Lannister hears of this, you will all rue—"
Emmett kicked his legs out from under him. Dolorous Edd planted a foot on his back to keep him on his knees as Emmett shoved the block beneath his head. "This will go easier if you stay still," Jon Snow promised him. "Move to avoid the cut, and you will still die, but your dying will be uglier. Stretch out your neck, my lord." The pale morning sunlight ran up and down his blade as Jon clasped the hilt of the bastard sword with both hands and raised it high. "If you have any last words, now is the time to speak them," he said, expecting one last curse.
Janos Slynt twisted his neck around to stare up at him. "Please, my lord. Mercy. I'll … I'll go, I will, I …"
No, thought Jon. You closed that door. Longclaw descended.
"Can I have his boots?" asked Owen the Oaf, as Janos Slynt's head went rolling across the muddy ground. "They're almost new, those boots. Lined with fur."
Jon glanced back at Stannis. For an instant their eyes met. Then the king nodded and went back inside his tower..

The whole thing is powerful in its self but I also find it beautiful in a way, as we see Jon's naivety on his thoughts regarding Stannis' offer, this scene is perhaps the one he has "killed the boy", along with ser/lord Janos. Despite trying his best to cooperate with one of his "father"s murderers, a man also tried his best to get Jon killed also, earlier, he has finally come to the conclusion he can't let everyone live,he has learned during his time in the Watch that not everyone is a shining knight, or a dark crow, that selflessly protects those who can't defend themselves but he still had hope that he could transform people. In this scene we see his transformation complete or near it's completion and he finally accepts the fact some people are just better off removed from the face of planetos for the sake of others.

And also, you don't get a Stannis Nod of Approval everyday and not everyone can get it. Despite the chapter ending there, I think Stannis' approval had, or will have in time, a huge effect on Jon.

Because of this if not for anything else

"Lord Snow," Melisandre said quietly. "Will you come with me to the King's Tower? I have more to share with you."
He looked at her face for a long moment with those cold grey eyes of his. His right hand closed, opened, closed again. "As you wish. Edd, take Ghost back to my chambers."
Melisandre took that as a sign and dismissed her own guard as well. They crossed the yard together, just the two of them. The snow fell all around them. She walked as close to Jon Snow as she dared, close enough to feel the mistrust pouring off him like a black fog. He does not love me, will never love me, but he will make use of me. Well and good. Melisandre had danced the same dance with Stannis Baratheon, back in the beginning. In truth, the young lord commander and her king had more in common than either one would ever be willing to admit. Stannis had been a younger son living in the shadow of his elder brother, just as Jon Snow, bastard-born, had always been eclipsed by his trueborn sibling, the fallen hero men had called the Young Wolf. Both men were unbelievers by nature, mistrustful, suspicious. The only gods they truly worshiped were honor and duty.

Archived