NFL 2017: Less Than Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I'm a little confused about the Garoppolo thing. Pretty sure they could have dealt him for the 12th overall pick earlier in the year. When they hung on to him, I thought that meant Handsome Jim was part of the long term plan. Now he's not?

Funnily enough, I did want the Pats to deal with the Niners. I wanted them to offer a pick for Aaron Lynch, because they need decent front 7 guys.

I'm also wondering about this move from the SF perspective. A lot of us assumed they were holding out for Cousins to hit free agency. Now they're surrendering a decent pick for someone else? Do they think Garoppolo has a higher ceiling? Not confident Cousins would choose Shanny Jr after all?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Niners acquire Handsome Jim for a second round pick

:stunned: 

Gonna need time to process this one.

I like it, dependent upon what his contract situation is. He's gotta be cheaper than Cousins #1, and you have actual NFL tape on him, so on paper he should be less risky than drafting a college QB. That said, it's entirely possible that we just got Casseled. Let's face it, Belichick is not letting the next Brady go for a 2nd rounder. 

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Let's face it, Belichick is not letting the next Brady go for a 2nd rounder. 

Unless he's only worried about the next year or two because he and Brady will retire together. Would Kraft be okay with that?

I dunno... I was thinking about Garopolo’s name on a jersey and it gave me flashbacks of Gio Carmazzi.  You know, the guy with a lot of vowels in his last name the Niners took in the 3rd round of the same draft where the Patriots took some scrub out of Michigan late.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm a little confused about the Garoppolo thing. Pretty sure they could have dealt him for the 12th overall pick earlier in the year. When they hung on to him, I thought that meant Handsome Jim was part of the long term plan. Now he's not?

Funnily enough, I did want the Pats to deal with the Niners. I wanted them to offer a pick for Aaron Lynch, because they need decent front 7 guys.

I'm also wondering about this move from the SF perspective. A lot of us assumed they were holding out for Cousins to hit free agency. Now they're surrendering a decent pick for someone else? Do they think Garoppolo has a higher ceiling? Not confident Cousins would choose Shanny Jr after all?

I'm guessing it's the salary issue regarding Shanahan. I'm think Handsome Jimmy should be a smaller hit to the cap overall, but I've been wrong before.

I thought the Pats shopped Jimmy hard, but didn't get any bites for a first rounder?

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I dunno... I was thinking about Garopolo’s name on a jersey and it gave me flashbacks of Gio Carmazzi.  You know, the guy with a lot of vowels in his last name the Niners took in the 3rd round of the same draft where the Patriots took some scrub out of Michigan late.

I was thinking Gino Torretta, just because ya know QB, Niners, obvious goombah surname.

10 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Unless he's only worried about the next year or two because he and Brady will retire together. Would Kraft be okay with that?

That's an interesting angle. I would still think that letting a franchise QB go for a second rounder would sting his ego/affect his legacy enough that he wouldn't do it, retirement or not. 

I think the Garoppolo move is a decent one.  Certainly better than Cousins because not gonna cost as much (at the very least up front) and has some projectability.  Objectively it's still poor asset management, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners soured on the prospective draft QBs over the past few weeks.  Darnold has underperformed and Rosen sounds like a dick.  I was starting to get into Lamar Jackson but if ShanaLynch is into Jimmy, so be it.  They have two more years to do something in my book.  Still got the Saints' second and the Bears' third (along with their own).  Guess now I need to root for Nawlins to lose.

8 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Does anyone know if there's been another GM who has had the balls to trade both of his backup QB's in the same season other than BB? And how soon until Florio starts a Kaepernick to NE campaign?

Can't think of that ever occurring. I also can't think of an organization that was so dominant offensively that this would have even been on the radar. On top of that you have to factor the Brady suspension into this, which made it all possible. Turning shit into gold. Some team should just throw 15 million at Belichick. He's the key to all of this.  

12 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Federal judge reinstates the Ezekiel Elliott suspension for 6 games. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/30/federal-judge-reinstates-ezekiel-elliott-suspension/

Looks like I get to pick your title, Spicy. I'm taking suggestions peeples. Send me PMs if you have any funny suggestions for Pony Queen Jace's new title. 

52 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm guessing it's the salary issue regarding Shanahan. I'm think Handsome Jimmy should be a smaller hit to the cap overall, but I've been wrong before.

I thought the Pats shopped Jimmy hard, but didn't get any bites for a first rounder?

(Dunno what is going on with quote function below)

Rapoport tweeted that the Browns never offered a first rounder at draft time, so either I misremembered or there were inaccurate rumors going around.

52 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

25 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Rapoport tweeted that the Browns never offered a first rounder at draft time, so either I misremembered or there were inaccurate rumors going around.

Makes sense to me.  Alex Smith cost two second rounders.  Getting one for Garoppolo is a steal.

Really......Zeke gets suspended again and Handsome Jimmy gets traded just after I drop him and Morris in several leagues. Great.

As far as the trade goes. the 49ers overwhelmingly won it in the short term. A second round pick for a potential franchise QB is a steal, and IDK what Belichick is thinking when he deals the only backup QB he's got.

I’ve not heard a single voice suggest Kaepernick to NE.  Not that I would expect it.

However, Elway not bringing CK7 to Denver is committing borderline malpractice for a defense that is one of the tops in the league and has no support from the offense.

Archived