NFL 2017: Less Than Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

So I want to say a few works about the Pats win over the Chargers (I was at the game) and then comment on the Jimmy G trade.  

Pats had a quality win over a quality opponent that played terrible.  Once again the Pats play a team that was supposed to cause them problems and once faced with Brady and Belichick, peed down their collective legs.  Great job.  Watching the Chargers crew everything up, in person, for 59:30 of 60 minutes was special.  Other than the run by Gordon, the Chargers did nothing right.  Like nothing.  Rivers went 4-for 4 on his first 4 passes and then threw FIVE more times the whole half; they go for a 52 yard FG when their kicker's season high is 32; Chargers don't know how linear time works so can't clock manage when the game was technically within a score.  Rivers was- miraculously - held near 200 yards and not the Pats usual 300 yards.  

Chargers then ran the worst special teams play since the Colts tried to convince us that they ran a play that they never intended to run. Pats punted (towards where I was sitting) and the ball makes it to about the 3-4 yard line where Travis Benjamin- stupidly - fields it.  What dumb-ass should have done was allow it to go out of bounds (oh well) OR field it and then JUST RUN STRAIGHT ahead! Instead, Travis runs BACKWARDS into the end-zone.  Great job nit-wit.  Pats break the tie with a safety; game is never close again.  You jackasses.  '

I thought overall Pats played well despite ongoing injuries (Losing Hogan at the end of the game and Cannon during it); and Brady is looking less and less like Brady.  His passes are not as accurate and I think he's missing guys who may be open.  At the same time, the guy threw for 300+ yards a TD and some really great throws.  And the Pats running game is getting better, yet still not great, but the RBs are best when catching a pass.  

The best thing is that the Pats get a buy-week at the best possible time and they can recover and stay on track.  Pats next few games are @Broncos (they'll role); v Raiders at a neutral location (50-50), then v. Dolphins (win), and then the game of the year for the Pats @ Buffalo where the season ultimately will be decided.  If the Pats lose they may be playing for the wildcard at that point. We'll see.... 

Anyway... Jimmy G to the 49'ers for a 2nd round pick.  Great.  Wait... I thought Jimmy G was worth TWO first round picks or the 1st pick overall... now he's worth a really high 2nd rounder?  G....great?  But could they have done this before?  And with the risk of injury to Brady where he gets dinged for 2-4 weeks who goes in there?  Brian Hoyer (who the Pats will certainly pick up in the next week or so)?  Is that what you want?  Is that what we want?  No players?  They didn't fill a gap here.  No DE no WR nothing. 

(Jay Ajaiya was just traded to the Eagles).  

The Pats had Jimmy G and Brissett last season and traded two starting QBs for a WR they don't use a 2nd round pick.  Great move. 

Here is the ONE thing where it could make sense (Because it does not as we sit here): originally the Pats intended to franchise Jimmy G and hook him as a back-up until Brady retired in 2028 or whenever, but more likely to trade him then to another team after applying the tag.  That was the plan.  The problem was that in the off-season they signed DB Stephan Guilmore and he has been TERRIBLE!  They paid him millions and that ticked-off Malcom Butler... who has been playing GREAT.  So the Pats look up and see Guilmore and know they need to sign the guy they alienated, Butler.  So they know they can't afford him so they decide- fuck that, the Pats need the Franchise tag so they trade Jimmy G for a great second and plan to use the franchise tag on Malcom Butler.  

That's the only way this makes sense because otherwise, the trade looks horrid.  

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I think the Iggles just became a superpower

And what does this mean for the Dolphins!?!

It means they know they’re 4-3 frauds. But for the life of me I don’t know why they would trade him for a bag of peanuts, relatively speaking.

I don't mind either trade. Pats had to trade Jimmy. They couldn't afford him. Franchising him destroys their entire model (you're dedicating $20+ million of your cap to a player who literally won't step on the field all year). They maybe could have held out and tried to get more, but that's going to be a premium 2nd round pick. The reality on Jimmy is that he can probably be a good quarterback, but he's also not going to be Brady or Rodgers.

Also, Ajayi is expendable. He's not in that special class of backs, which makes him basically replacement level. He'll go as far as his offensive line and passing game allow him, but he's not going to bend defensive gameplans towards stopping him. Getting a 4th for him is a nice haul, and I'm guessing he's something of a cancer or they wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Also, Ajayi is expendable. He's not in that special class of backs, which makes him basically replacement level. He'll go as far as his offensive line and passing game allow him, but he's not going to bend defensive gameplans towards stopping him. Getting a 4th for him is a nice haul, and I'm guessing he's something of a cancer or they wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

I didn't know cancer could get cancer. 

It'll be a blow for the NFL shows in the UK if the sort of British guy playing in a skill position turns out to be a dick.:lol:

My first NFL game this weekend was an interesting experience. It wasn't actually as slow as I thought it was going to be with all the stoppages and I enjoyed Thielen's soccer style celebration, wrong ground but good effort. On the other hand I was a little less impressed with the athleticism than I thought I was going to be, I suppose it wasn't the best game to showcase that. Another beer option other than Bud light would have been nice too.:dunno:

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It'll be a blow for the NFL shows in the UK if the sort of British guy playing in a skill position turns out to be a dick.:lol:

My first NFL game this weekend was an interesting experience. It wasn't actually as slow as I thought it was going to be with all the stoppages and I enjoyed Thielen's soccer style celebration, wrong ground but good effort. On the other hand I was a little less impressed with the athleticism than I thought I was going to be, I suppose it wasn't the best game to showcase that. Another beer option other than Bud light would have been nice too.:dunno:

Did they really have only Bud Light? Oh NFL :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Okay, I know I'm not keeping up with things - but why on earth would the Panthers trade Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo? Isn't he, like, their only good receiving option?

The rest of the NFL world is as mystified as you are.

Oh God, Bengals and Browns trying to work together on incremental and probably futile improvement... What was Gunny's line when Private Pyle ran the obstacle course? "It's like watching old people fuck!"

Hue Jackson also let it be known that he was totally trying to get Handsome Jimmy. Implication being that management didn't want to pony up a higher pick. Is this the end of the road for Jackson? Passing on Wentz and Watson is going to stick in people's craws, no matter how defensible those moves were at the time.

Lets talk a little about the Jimmy G trade because I hate myself.  

The trade seems like a downer and I don't like it for a variety of reasons, but I think here there are other forces at work that screwed this thing.  I think the Pats had an eye-in-the-sky position where they wanted to keep Brady and Jimmy G as long as possible and then trade Jimmy G later on.  But that would get expensive.  So the Pats also had the idea of making a "bridge" deal with Jimmy for a year or so until such time as Brady retired or they could trade him.  

We then have this other wrinkle out there; there is a report by a reporter on Twitter that claims that right before the trade deadline there were reports coming out of Tom Brady's "camp" that he was concerned that he would be traded after 2017.  And that he did not want that.  

So this leaves two possible reasons why Jimmy G- a guy predicted to need AT LEAST a first round pick - was traded for a 2nd round pick an no immediate help this season: a season seeing the Pats getting squeezed by injuries.  

1. This was Jimmy G's Doing. The Pats wanted to get Jimmy G for either the franchise tag (and then immediately trade him) or sign him for a bridge year.  The Pats were concerned about the franchise tag because if they could NOT trade him it would be a disaster for their cap AND it was a real possibility nobody would do that if they thought Jimmy G would be available as an UFA.  

So the Pats decided to get a "bridge" year between now and the franchise tag and THEN trade Jimmy G this off season.  But that deal never materialized; reports show that the Pats were trying to constantly work out a deal with Jimmy but he had a single message: he wanted to play.  Now.  And franchise tags and bridge contracts would not get him on the field to play today.  While a trade to a team lead by a man who my wife only knows as "Beat - Hard" can get you playing time.  So Jimmy G made it clear: trade me now or lose me or pay me too much to be your dumb back-up (which everyone knew you could not do).  So the Pats had to trade him. 

2. This was Bob Kraft's Doing: If the reports about Brady are true: that he was concerned Bielichick would trade him during the off season (when he has personnel control over the team) then the trade of Jimmy G crystallizes a move back-stage.  That Robert and his son KNEW Brady was displeased and so phoned Nick Caserio (who controls the Pats roster during the season) to trade Jimmy G for whatever they could get to mollify Brady's concerns and make it clear that Tom Brady will never play for another team.  Ever.  No matter what. 

This theory was bolstered by BB's press conference earlier today where he gushed:  “I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jimmy. I couldn’t ask for him to give us any more than he has given us .. The 49ers are getting a good player, they are getting a good person and they’re getting a great teammate and they are getting a good quarterback, and Jimmy is getting a good coach....  he’s a talented individual. He is a great person to coach. I met with him weekly. ...“(Jimmy G as a backup to Brady) Not something we wanted to walk away from. I felt we rode it out as long as we could, over a period of time, explored every option possible to sustain it. At this point, felt like we had to make a decision. Very complex situation on multiple levels. This is really the last window that we had, we did what we felt was best for the team. There were many things involved in this whole process."

He basically cried and said Jimmy G was like a son to him.  He NEVER talks about Brady like that (his stock line for Brady is "There is nobody else I would rather have than...."  He didn't talk like this when he traded Seymour; when he traded Mankins.  But today?  He GUSHED over Jimmy G.  Translation: If it were up to him, BB would have kept Jimmy G.  

Its either 1 or 2.  But bottom line: it was not 3: Bill Belichick did NOT want this trade like this.  I think BB wanted either to trade Jimmy earlier and could not get a deal with the Browns (all signals are the Browns are FURIOUS they did not get this deal done) for a 1st OR that he did not want to trade him at all. 

With all that said and the conspiracy theories out there, my bet is #1: the Pats misjudged retaining Jimmy G and held onto him for too long and lost a golden opportunity to collect greater draft picks and/or talent.  And Jimmy G was not going to ride the pine.  

So... hooray... a second rounder ... th-thanks?  

Archived