US Politics: flaking out and coming uncorked

DanteGabriel

27 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Can't you please open a "who's a nazi" thread. Every single US politics thread is hijacked by this crap.

That probably because every single branch of US government is being hijacked by nazis.  It's a big fucking deal within US politics at this time.  It's pretty important that people recognize it for what it is.  

35 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That probably because every single branch of US government is being hijacked by nazis.  It's a big fucking deal within US politics at this time.  It's pretty important that people recognize it for what it is.  

Could it be then, that it's such an important issue, that it warrants its own thread? Rather than the same 4-5 people performing the same back and forth over and over again? 

7 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Newsflash, The words Nazi and Racist have distinct and separate meanings. 

Sure, like Klansman and racist have different meanings, but I don't think I'd see people objecting this vigorously to the Alt-right being labeled Klansmen.

7 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But that's where we're at. The term Nazi has won the ideological bottom of the barrel label that one can hang upon another. You're right, they're not unique, but we don't say "oh that fucker is straight up Khmer Rouge" or "that bastard is a goddamn Mongol" We call them Nazis because it's universally understood as an evil, fairly modern ideology. 

Yeah, and so is the Alt-right. But if you want to use Khmer Rouge go right ahead. Might object to calling them Mongols, unlike the Alt-right or Nazis the Mongols can actually claim some good accomplishments.

42 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Could it be then, that it's such an important issue, that it warrants its own thread? Rather than the same 4-5 people performing the same back and forth over and over again? 

I don't know that there needs to be two concurrently running US politics thread.  I guess if you don't like specific topics within US politics, maybe ignore them?  That's what I do with the one or two frequently discussed topics that I don't care much about.  The growth of nazism is very much part of US politics right now.  We have a president who is their de facto leader, who employs nazis and who gives speeches in their defense.  It's pretty important, though I understand how frustrating it can be to have to see the same two or three folks constantly both deny and defend their existence.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

There is a condition worse than blindness and that is, seeing something that isn't there.

Thomas Hardy 

On 10/27/2017 at 7:13 AM, Mexal said:

If Trump was a liberal, he’d be the smartest man in the world.

Oh those poor, poor hurt conservative feelings.

I use to say conservatives were dumb because I thought it was a bit kinder than saying they are dishonest jackasses.

But, if they really don’t like being called dumb, then okay, I just call them dishonest jackasses that are generally full of shit.

However, in polite conversation, I guess 'white supremacist' will just have to do.  

A former aide to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellmcconnellmitch_080117gn4_lead.jpg?itok=DAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellGOP Senate hopeful rips McConnell for ‘smearing’ conservativesOvernight Finance: House adopts Senate budget, taking step to tax reform | GOP worries Trump feuds will endanger tax plan | Trump talks NAFTA withdrawal with senators | Treasury calls for looser oversight of insurersTrump’s Senate oversight holiday must endMORE (R-Ky.) in a new interview defended his use of the term "white supremacist" to describe former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon.

“If you look at his associations, the people who are ecstatic about his efforts, the long history of conduct that he has been a part of, I will let others come to their conclusions,” Josh Holmes, a former chief of staff to McConnell, told The Washington Post.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/357271-former-mcconnell-aide-calls-bannon-a-white-supremacist#.WfIQz2x2TSw.twitter

4 hours ago, mormont said:

That boat sailed when the son of a former US President ran as the 'anti-establishment' candidate.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, of all the things I've seen in political history, this wave of calling a string of born-wealthy Ivy League family brand name guns 'n God conservatives 'anti-establishment' has got to be the most dumbfounding. I'm never quite sure whether to assume sincere stupidity or cynical gamesmanship. 

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Nah, this is a fundamental difference in perspective.  Some people can differentiate policy preferences - and in this case a president's policy outcomes - and whether the individual in office has ill intent.  You mention body counts - what about LBJ?  On a lesser level, what about Clinton and Kosovo?  I believe Bush as president should be judged in the harshest possible terms.  But that does not mean I can't distinguish his terrible and abject cruelty in ill-founded policies with the decision-maker that thought what he was doing was right.  Did his inner demons defeat Bush's better angels while in office?  Inarguably.  But attacking him as evil and even as a Nazi (which was going around quite a bit at the time) denigrates the credibility when we accuse office-holders or advisors that actually do hold such ill intent. 

This is the problem with polarization - even recognizing many on the other side don't hold evil in their heart is considered a perversion to your tribe.  I find this with my students as well; most profess they will not be friends with cohorts from the other side of the aisle.  The country will never be put back together again with this attitude.  For instance, I can't abide the politics of, say, Murkowski or McCain, nor the cruel outcomes that their beliefs undoubtedly would lead to, but I certainly don't think they themselves are evil or cruel.  There's a mountain of difference between finding beliefs unacceptable and the person holding such beliefs unacceptable.

Well said.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

That boat sailed when the son of a former US President ran as the 'anti-establishment' candidate.

Correct me if I’m wrong because I was still a little kid at the time, but I thought he ran as an establishment candidate who wasn’t from Washington. Small distinction, I know.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Triple post time!

DP. this kind of language is exactly what I was railing against, and it will cause Democrats to lose. 

On 10/26/2017 at 7:29 PM, Martell Spy said:

I despise W. In fact he turned me from a moderate Democrat into someone who will never vote R.

Yeah, Dubya has a lot to do with the fact that I think I’d rather crawl through a minefield filled with broken glass and rusty razor blades, while naked, rather than ever getting caught voting Republican.

12 hours ago, r'hllor's redrum lobster said:

lol, what about them? they are cruel and evil motherfuckers that should [have] be[en] fucking hanged as well. 

thought what he was doing was right? like, do you really think he was incapable of understanding invading two nations and launching a poorly planned war would just like, surgically strike out the "bad guys"? and you really, really believe he thought what he was doing was morally right, especially irt iraq? gtfoh

You seem to be incapable of grasping that there are less intelligent and Morally Developed people out there than you. But I assure you, there are such people out there, in great droves. Calling them "evil" is lowering the threshold for what we've typically conceived of as such considerably. Maybe you're right and we need to redefine the word "evil." I don't know, though. 

30 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

You seem to be incapable of grasping that there are less intelligent and Morally Developed people out there than you. But I assure you, there are such people out there, in great droves. 

lol, buddy believe me i am aware

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Triple post time!

DP. this kind of language is exactly what I was railing against, and it will cause Democrats to lose. 

yeah i doubt that's the reason they are gonna lose

Archived