Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pony Queen Jace

History Thread!

107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

I don't know much about the Byzantines, but I highly recommend this Youtube miniseries-

All their videos are great for any history geeks. The First Crusade, Admiral Yi and Sengoku Jidai (Japanese Warring States period) series' are especially recommended.

How has Jace never seen this? What an awesome contribution to society, an informative and engaging history lesson. Do you know if there's some kind of tribute I can donate to for these guys to keep doing what they do?

12 hours ago, maarsen said:

Yukle I took up your advice and for the past few weeks have been reading up on Byzantium. I have to say that the history is absolutely fascinating and thanks for the advice. 

I have just read that the marching bands that the US are so fond of during football halftime shows are an imitation of the Jannisaries music and parades. Muslim culture at the heart of America.

I'm sorry that I didn't also encourage you to delve deeper into the Romans of the East. There's SO MUCH incredible material, and thanks to how long it managed to survive we have unprecedented levels of detail through which to look at the lives of people who shaped Europe for a thousand years.

And the fact that so few of even the brightest westerners appreciate the contributions to their history from these Greek speaking Romans, even calling them 'Byzantines', is just another layer under which some of the most incredible stories in history lie. The term Byzantine itself comes from 18th century racist scholars who sought to associate themselves with the Western Rome (white people) they so idolized without suggesting a link to the Eastern continuation of the failed Republic and totalitarian state.

And the only reason those western scholars had half the material available to them regarding Caesar, Scipio, and all those Greek philosophers they so admired was because while those precious white former Romans were busy scrabbling out petty kingdoms in the dirt, in the east were the Emperors of Rome continuing to maintain a state of culture and intellectual advance.

In other words, ungrateful assholes sought to denigrate the same people who reeducated his ancestors about their lost cultural heritage when western Europe decided to slow down on acting like vicious animals long enough to listen to civilized peoples. 

Y'all member back in 1204 when those crusaders decided to sack Constantinople? Sad. 

39 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Y'all member back in 1204 when those crusaders decided to sack Constantinople? Sad. 

:crying:

6 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

How has Jace never seen this? What an awesome contribution to society, an informative and engaging history lesson. Do you know if there's some kind of tribute I can donate to for these guys to keep doing what they do?

They've got patreon. There's actually a few really good history video makers on YouTube, I think people assume the content will be lower quality, but it's way better than the constant stream of "nazis, nazis, nazis!" you get on tv (when the history channel isn't showing Storage Wars or talking about aliens).

11 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm sorry that I didn't also encourage you to delve deeper into the Romans of the East. There's SO MUCH incredible material, and thanks to how long it managed to survive we have unprecedented levels of detail through which to look at the lives of people who shaped Europe for a thousand years.

And the fact that so few of even the brightest westerners appreciate the contributions to their history from these Greek speaking Romans, even calling them 'Byzantines', is just another layer under which some of the most incredible stories in history lie. The term Byzantine itself comes from 18th century racist scholars who sought to associate themselves with the Western Rome (white people) they so idolized without suggesting a link to the Eastern continuation of the failed Republic and totalitarian state.

And the only reason those western scholars had half the material available to them regarding Caesar, Scipio, and all those Greek philosophers they so admired was because while those precious white former Romans were busy scrabbling out petty kingdoms in the dirt, in the east were the Emperors of Rome continuing to maintain a state of culture and intellectual advance.

In other words, ungrateful assholes sought to denigrate the same people who reeducated his ancestors about their lost cultural heritage when western Europe decided to slow down on acting like vicious animals long enough to listen to civilized peoples. 

Don't be sorry. I did delve deeply. I just finished a book called Istanbul by Bettany Hughes. It was a history of Constantinople from first founding to the present day. Lots of  Roman history was in there. And yes it was all you said it was.

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yeah, there are some valuable lessons to take away from that entire debacle: 

1. Don't exterminate the Catholic minority living in your empire. 

2. But if you do, at least try to convince any later claimant to the throne to not hire an army of Catholic crusaders to help him take it. 

3. But if he does, at least make sure that he pays said crusaders what he has promised them when all is said and done, instead of trying to run them out of the country. Otherwise they might get angry. 

Edited by Khaleesi did nothing wrong