Who was the rightful king in the TWoFK?

SunfyreTheGolden

A wise man once said:

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

That is the most apt explanation for who the people of the Seven Kingdoms saw as their rightful king. 

Looking at it from our partially omnipotent point of view as readers...Stannis.  Not Viserys, the Faith and the Maesters legitimized Robert Baratheon's rule.  The Targaryens were deposed by conquest, the only way to gain rule back is through conquest.

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I always laugh at these "legal" comments.

Legal according to which court of law? Who judges what is legal in Westeros? There essentially is no law. Just a bunch of customs supported by a combination of the Faith, the lords and the beliefs of the common folk (although the latter seems pretty meaningless in the bigger scheme of things). And of course, the first (the Faith) is meaningless in the North, and likely in the Iron Isles too.

It is simply monarchy. Laws are usually based on the king that sits on the Iron Throne.

You are right btw. 

17 hours ago, Yucef Menaerys said:

That depends, to the readers? Probably Stannis since we as readers have the benefit of knowing that Robert's children by Cersei are bastards and after them obviously the next person in line is Stannis. To most people in Westeros? Joffrey. They couldn't know that he wasn't Robert's son for sure, no DNA test available and everyone rightfully assumes that he is Robert's trueborn son, so that makes Joffrey the rightful king in their eyes.

Ned Stark knew that. That is why he is dead now. For the people that know Joffrey is a bastard, the rightful king was Stannis (except Renly).

4 hours ago, DarkBastard said:

A wise man once said:

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

That is the most apt explanation for who the people of the Seven Kingdoms saw as their rightful king. 

Looking at it from our partially omnipotent point of view as readers...Stannis.  Not Viserys, the Faith and the Maesters legitimized Robert Baratheon's rule.  The Targaryens were deposed by conquest, the only way to gain rule back is through conquest.

Yes, from our POV Stannis.  From the POV of people of Westeros, Joffrey.  If not for Melissandre, it would have been Renly by conquest (he had the largest army by far and would likely have smashed everyone).

No one can actually claim Viserys, because he was dead before tWoFK :laugh:

4 hours ago, Dood said:

de jure, Viserys, as he was the heir of the previous rightful king.

Aerys lost the throne and the Targaryens were deposed, Viserys has no legal claim over the throne so he'd have to fight for it back, which Aegon is doing right now.

The only legal heir is Stannis Baratheon, but technically Robb and Balon are also rightful kings because their kingdoms declared independence from Westeros. 

15 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

Aerys lost the throne and the Targaryens were deposed, Viserys has no legal claim over the throne so he'd have to fight for it back, which Aegon is doing right now.

The only legal heir is Stannis Baratheon, but technically Robb and Balon are also rightful kings because their kingdoms declared independence from Westeros. 

The legal heir is Joffrey, the biological heir is Stannis. Laws are not always right, they are not infallible and Joffrey was the recognised heir to the previous King. Stannis' options to revoke this was tell the previous King and let him make the judgement or call a Grand Council and put forth his case. He did neither and, like Renly, tried to usurp the Throne through force. 

56 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

When Aerys died, the crown passed on to the next pretendant in line. Legally speaking Viserys was the pretendant to the Iron Throne.

Robert took the power by a coup d'état, and was an usurper, the "Crown" was never his to take - at least not while Viserys was alive.

But as someone said above, Viserys died just before the War of the five kings, so I guess Stannis would be the next in line due to his Targaryens ascendants.

46 minutes ago, Dood said:

Legally speaking Viserys was the pretendant to the Iron Throne

Legally speaking Viserys lost all rights to the throne when House Targaryen fell, Aegon I took the throne by force and Robert Baratheon did the exact same thing a good 200 years later. 

18 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

No one can actually claim Viserys, because he was dead before tWoFK :laugh:

That is a moot point because the Targaryens were deposed through conquest.  The Targaryen line has no claim to the throne, living or dead, unless it is retaken through conquest...as Dany is building toward now.  She can't just walk in and say "Hi, I'm...like...a Targaryen, I'm like totally in charge here because my daddy was a king so...can I like...have my chair and stuff?"

17 hours ago, Pikachu101 said:

Legally speaking Viserys lost all rights to the throne when House Targaryen fell, Aegon I took the throne by force and Robert Baratheon did the exact same thing a good 200 years later. 

I disagree : Aegon created the iron throne and the office of "Lord of the seven Kingdoms" by forcing 6 out of 7 kingdoms into fealty.

The crown Aegon created, was taken by force by someone who did not have the right to take it (He was not the next in line). This is a coup, and why he is known as "the Usurper".

Viserys was legally the heir, until his death or until he surrendered the crown (And even then, some would argue that the crown is not his to surrender).

52 minutes ago, Dood said:

I disagree : Aegon created the iron throne and the office of "Lord of the seven Kingdoms" by forcing 6 out of 7 kingdoms into fealty.

And these lords then pledged themselves to Robert thus giving him legitimacy as king 

53 minutes ago, Dood said:

The crown Aegon created, was taken by force by someone who did not have the right to take it (He was not the next in line). This is a coup, and why he is known as "the Usurper"

What Robert did was the same as Henry IV seizing power from his cousin Richard II through the backing of nobles, he usurped Richard but that doesn't make his reign any less legitimate. Besides so many kings have taken the throne by force e.g. William I, Edward IV, Henry VII. 

57 minutes ago, Dood said:

Viserys was legally the heir

He was the heir to a dynasty that was overthrown and no longer in power, he has no legitimate claim to the Iron Throne because Robert seized it in a rebellion. 

And these lords then pledged themselves to Robert thus giving him legitimacy as king 

This gives him some legitimacy to rule them, not to get the crown.

What Robert did was the same as Henry IV seizing power from his cousin Richard II through the backing of nobles, he usurped Richard but that doesn't make his reign any less legitimate. Besides so many kings have taken the throne by force e.g. William I, Edward IV, Henry VII. 

Yes, but generally speaking, when someone takes the throne by force, he will try to add as much legitimacy as possible to his claim, often by marrying someone close to the line of succession (Elizabeth of York in the case of Henry VII).

Taking the power by force does not make your claim legitimate, it just makes you the de-facto ruler.

He was the heir to a dynasty that was overthrown and no longer in power, he has no legitimate claim to the Iron Throne because Robert seized it in a rebellion. 

Even then, he was still legally the person who could legally claim the crown for himself.

We have an example in French History : The french king Charles VI signed the treaty of Troyes declaring that his heir would be Henry V (of England), instead of his estranged son, Charles VII.

Long story short, Charles VII ended up winning the war and getting the crown back - his father had no right to choose another heir, as he already had a son. The crown can only go to the next in the line of succession.

Sure, you can raise an army, win a war, send the pretender in exile and become de-facto ruler, but that does not make you de-jure King. To become the King you would have to kill every person in the line of succession, and/or marry someone high enough in the line of succession.

Robert didn't spend money and time tracking the last Targaryens, trying to assassinate them for shit and giggles : he knew his claim was weak, and loyalists would turn against him if they were to come back with an army.

Anyway, just my opinion, this is an interesting subject :)

3 hours ago, Pikachu101 said:

Would you agree that the Boltons are now the rightful and legal governors of the north?  After all, they rebelled against the Starks, who themselves were outlaws because they were rebelling against their king, and beat the Starks for control of the north.  

Amazing that someone can think that any King who ever conquers other areas en-masse is then somehow permanently the rightful rulers of said realm.  If that were in any way accurate, the Queen of England would still be in control of a majority of the United States.  The British, French, and Dutch would be the rightful rulers of most of Africa by that logic.

Besides the fact that the Seven and the Citadel both confirmed Robert's legitimacy as king...I guess that just doesn't apply, right?

Archived