Dany is Azor Ahai

Hajk1984

Okay, hear me out on this. I am not sure of this theory by a mile. However it is starting to make some sense to me. Here goes:

Despite the fact that Dany crosses so many of the PtwP requirements, she is often dismissed from this role. One of the most common arguments is that this would be too obvious. All the things that make her Azor Ahai were already fulfilled by the end of Book 1. She is put into the role even before the prophesy itself first appears. Aemon literally calls her TPtwP because her dragons prove it and so on. And yet, despite all this, the reality is that we do not find her the obvious candidate. Why is that? Because another main character who has been put on the Wall and also seems to fulfill many of the requirements has spent the entire season focused on the threat from beyond the Wall. This has been effective enough, IMHO to no longer leave her the obvious candidate. In fact, from my impression, most of the fandom wants this prophecy to be true of Jon anyhow. That, however, is exactly why Dany is not too obvious despite all the obvious fulfilments of the prophecy.

What makes me believe this further are some of the following:

• The show has tended to emphasize the supernatural and miraculous aspects of Dany's arc (in fact made her fire-proof, giving her even more powers than the books), while de-emphasizing Jon's (apart from his resurrection, which was also not due to himself and shared with another character, i.e. Berric), like his warging ability etc.
  • Dany has now twice pulled out mighty weapons from the fire: 1) Dragons; and 2) The Dothraki army.
  • The way the show has set it up, the one who is currently in the main position to lead this war with immense resources is actually Dany, not Jon.
  • Azor Ahai is supposed to be the champion of Fire.

The thing that first lead me to this view is a different reading of Dany's character than what is common (at least for me). I have argued before that although D&D have peppered her narrative with many 20th/21st century feminist sounding narratives, or words that seem to indicate a medieval idea of "Girl Power" or what not, any of this will actually be quite anachronistic. I certainly don't think it would be the way GRRM would be going. D&D are not above using spectacle and badasserry to get ratings and "Wow" moments. But the larger narrative has to be kept in mind as well. With this in mind, I am lead to what I feel is one of the more problematic parts of her story:

Dany's whole deal with the Dothraki. Other than allowing the badass nature of the coup to make us ignore what happened, it is not exactly the high point of her arc. What she essentially does is kill the entire Dothraki leadership in a horrendous way and walks out and the Dothraki all bow down to her. Why? Because she is "strong"? Is she? Yes she can survive fire, but she can't hold her own against a single Dothraki Bloodrider in noral combat. So they can still kill her in a regular way without issue. She can hardly do what Drogo did to enforce his authority. But the Dothraki at this juncture think that this is some sort of great sign from on high. Some sort of religious or divine sign that she is to be followed without question. On the face of it, what happens next seems even more problematic: Dany exploits this false view of theirs (as far as she knows), and turns them into an army of conquest for her Westerosi ambitions. She doesn't stay back and try to improve Dothraki society and culture. She doesn't try to civilize them. They don't get the same sort of consideration as the freed slaves. Instead she uses their belief in "strength" etc. or their view of her as some sort of goddess to pull them out of the Dothraki sea where they have lived for centuries, put them on boats which they hate, and use them (or at least intends to) as fodder for her Westerosi wars of conquest.      

If this doesn't strike you as problematic, imagine someone doing it today. Suppose someone were to find a primitive tribe with customs we don't like, do something fantastic (e.g. fly an airplane over their heads) to convince them that the person doing it was some sort of goddess, and then made them serve them to construct buildings etc. (far less dangerous than war). I doubt this would be acceptable to most people because of the badass nature of the plane flying over them, or because according to their beliefs they were performing an honorable duty of working for their new goddess.

But I seriously do not believe D&D intend to make Dany villainous in any way. Is there a way out of this? There is an obvious one: That Dany is actually convinced that putting her on the Iron Throne is something of such cosmic significance that helping her do that actually does give the Dothraki and those who serve her a "greater purpose", or a "greater destiny." That she actually is making their lives better by giving them the chance to fight for this great and worthy cause. She is "no ordinary woman." Her "dreams come true." She gets visions. She is told to remember who she is. Miracles happen about her. Why? I must be due to her destiny as the destined monarch. 

Now this may seem extremely, mind-blowingly entitled to us. Hard to believe that anyone might actually think this. Yet I think it is actually consistent with Dany's entire arc and what she has been saying all along, even her speech about "faith in herself" and being "born to rule the seven kingdoms" and so on. And everything she has done with this belief seems to give her one success after another.

The problem with this, however, is that this cause is really not that amazing a cause. Dany, still retaining so much of Viserys' training might see it as the highest cause imaginable, but hardly any reader will. There is such a cause, however: Saving the world. This has not really been her cause (although she has tried to play savior in smaller contexts). But this cause is big enough to actually think like this if she indeed were the chosen savior. 

That may well be the greatest twist of the series. The character focused on the throne is the savior, while the character obsessed with saving the world is the future king. And so much of it was obvious and in plain sight from the beginning.

36 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

There is no Azor Ahai. Azor Ahai is a red herring.

Also Dany will die

AA might be a red herring or it might be someone we don't expect it to be, but it might also Jon and Dany together.
I doubt it's either Jon or Dany who's AA however, it'll either be both of them or none of them.

I disagree on Dany dying however. I genuinely believe she will survive the series, since all the hints that's been dropped suggests that she will survive. People only expect her to die "because this is GoT" or because they dislike the character and want her to die.

I don't think that Dany is Azor Ahai 2, or New Last Hero, or Prince that was promissed. This person will have to fight against Night's King, physically fight. So to kill him, his opponent will have to fight against him with a sword. And Dany is not a warior, thus she won't be the one who will kill Night's King. And her ultimate weapon that always saved her until now - her dragons and immunity to fire - won't help her to defeat Night's King, because he can kill dragons, and he can extinguish fire, even dragon fire.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

This person will have to fight against Night's King, physically fight. So to kill him, his opponent will have to fight against him with a sword.

Source for this statement please.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

I don't think that Dany is Azor Ahai 2, or New Last Hero, or Prince that was promissed. This person will have to fight against Night's King, physically fight. So to kill him, his opponent will have to fight against him with a sword. And Dany is not a warior, thus she won't be the one who will kill Night's King. And her ultimate weapon that always saved her until now - her dragons and immunity to fire - won't help her to defeat Night's King, because he can kill dragons, and he can extinguish fire, even dragon fire.

Hmmm... I am not sure with the "physically fight" thing... I mean will the Night King(in the tv show) die with a valyrian sword? Would the Night King die with dragon fire? It sounds to me so..simple... Magic is what created him. Ofc Dragons are creatures of magic, fire made flesh and the Valyrian steel is also created with Dragonfire and Valyrian Magic...

But still.. I agree that Dany is the AAR, it could be Jon too or both of them but I believe it's Dany since AAR is the champion of light, the champion of FIRE and Dany is pure fire.

So if Jon/Dany/both are the champions/warriors that will fight the Nights King what is Bran's role? The Others/WW were first created with CotF Magic..  Bran is a greenseer, greenseers were the CotF "wizards".. I think the Magic that created them will be needed to destroy them....

And yes I think Dany is Azor Ahai Reborn, A Dragon woke out of stone...

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Source for this statement please.

1. Dragon fire can't harm Night's King. NK can extinguish dragon fire, same as normal fire. It was shown in expisode 6x6. So Dany's dragons, and her unburning ability, are useless against NK. So with what is she going to defeat NK?

2. Azor Ahai even killed his beloved wife, to forge a sword able to kill NK. If there was other way to deal with WW's threat, then it wouldn't be necessary for first AA to kill his wife.

3. https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

I think that this sword from the prophecy is sword Dawn, that belonged to Arthur Dayne. Last time it was seen, in a scene where Lyanna died. So I think that the sword is burried in Winterfell crypts, where Jon will find it.

1 hour ago, Styl7 said:

Would the Night King die with dragon fire?

No, dragon fire can't harm him. 'Winter magic' is stronger than dragon fire. So it's very unlikely that NK could be killed by dragon.

I mean will the Night King(in the tv show) die with a valyrian sword?

There's a lot of Valyrian swords, but to kill NK, special sword is needed. If all you need to kill NK is Valyrian sword, then ASOIAF could have ended long ago, in antient times, when there was many dragons, and lots of Valyrian steel.

To kill NK, unique weapon is needed. And what could be more unique than the sword forged from meteorate ore? Dawn sword is obviously a Lightbringer from the prophecy. It even has a rising sun painted on its hilt.

52 minutes ago, Megorova said:

1. Dragon fire can't harm Night's King. NK can extinguish dragon fire, same as normal fire. It was shown in expisode 6x6. So Dany's dragons, and her unburning ability, are useless against NK. So with what is she going to defeat NK?

True, but we don't know for sure that valyrian steel (or dragonglass) can harm him either, and if it can't that rules out Jon (and anyone with a valyrian steel weapon) as well.

2. Azor Ahai even killed his beloved wife, to forge a sword able to kill NK. If there was other way to deal with WW's threat, then it wouldn't be necessary for first AA to kill his wife.

True, but this is a prophecy, and I believe that anyone who interprets it at face value is fooling themselves. Don't take the prophecy to literal, everything in it is most likely a metaphor. Or do you believe that AA will actually kill someone else on the show by drawing forth a burning sword (Dawn?) from their chest? 

Also, do we know that the original AA killed the NK with Lightbringer? Because if he didn't, then nothing hints that that's the way it will go down in the show either (unless of course, it's all metaphors.)

3. https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

Yes, but this hints to both Jon and Dany, and only in metaphorical ways:
Jon was born in the blood of his mother and the sword Dawn was resting on the edge of the bed. Not exactly a "bleeding star" per se, but there was blood and a star involved.
Daenerys on the other hand, burned MMD and Drogo (and herself) while the red star was falling (and it looked like an actual bleeding star) in season 1, and was "reborn" alongside her dragons.

The prophecy doesn't explicitly say that AA will kill the NK with the sword, just that the sword "marks" the wearer as AA; the one to lead the fight against the darkness (a parallel here would be how Excalibur (an actual sword) marked the one who pulled it out of the fire stone as the one true king), and technically Jon and Dany are both already leading the fight against the darkness.

Typing this I started thinking of what Melissandre said to Jon back in S5;
"The Lord of Light made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there's power. Power to make life, power to make light, power to cast shadows." This is coming from a fanatical red priestess obsessed with the AA-prophecy. With this quote in mind, I think it's very likely that AA reborn is not one person but two; one male and one female. Obviously I could be wrong.

56 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I think that this sword from the prophecy is sword Dawn, that belonged to Arthur Dayne. Last time it was seen, in a scene where Lyanna died. So I think that the sword is burried in Winterfell crypts, where Jon will find it.

Again, I think you're mixing the books and the show. The show NEVER told anything about the sword Dawn, I can't see how they will suddenly present it as the special-extra-magical-mythical tool that will save the world…

10 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

I disagree on Dany dying however. I genuinely believe she will survive the series, since all the hints that's been dropped suggests that she will survive. People only expect her to die "because this is GoT" or because they dislike the character and want her to die.

No. Watch the scene in the house of the undying again. In the end it shows her going beyond the wall and joining Khal Drogo and Rhaego in a tent which implies she will die.

32 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

or dragonglass) can harm him either,

There's piece of dragonglass in his chest. So I'm 100% sure that dragonglass will be harmless to him. So whoever will get to NK, and will manage to stab him with a dragonglass dagger, will be surprised when it won't work.

and if it can't that rules out Jon (and anyone with a valyrian steel weapon) as well.

That's why ultimate weapon with which NK will be defeated, will be a meteorite sword, and not Valyrian.

37 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Or do you believe that AA will actually kill someone else on the show by drawing forth a burning sword (Dawn?) from their chest? 

The prophecy says that new Azor Ahai will draw burning sword from fire. When meteorite is falling, it is burning. So drawing sword from fire, is metaphorical, and actual meaning is that it's a meteorite sword.

39 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Also, do we know that the original AA killed the NK with Lightbringer? Because if he didn't, then nothing hints that that's the way it will go down in the show either (unless of course, it's all metaphors.)

No, he killed his wife just to forge a super sword, and then he put it on his mantelpiece, and White Walkers just went back to the Land of Always Winter, on their own, without actually fighting against AA with his magical sword. :rolleyes:

We don't know whether AA or the Last Hero killed previous Night's King during first Long Night, or whether he defeted only WW and zombies, and NK escaped to far north. Though about upcoming Long Night, what is known is that second Azor Ahai will fight with Lightbringer, and "the darkness shall flee before him". So in second Long Night, there will be a sword involved in big battle.

48 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Yes, but this hints to both Jon and Dany, and only in metaphorical ways:
Jon was born in the blood of his mother and the sword Dawn was resting on the edge of the bed. Not exactly a "bleeding star" per se, but there was blood and a star involved.

Bleeding stars is red comet that was seen in the end of season 1. "cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world" is winter that came to Westeros. So what will happen next is a warrior drawing sword from fire. Or basically Jon finding Dawn sword.

57 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

The prophecy doesn't explicitly say that AA will kill the NK with the sword, just that the sword "marks" the wearer as AA; the one to lead the fight against the darkness (a parallel here would be how Excalibur (an actual sword) marked the one who pulled it out of the fire stone as the one true king), and technically Jon and Dany are both already leading the fight against the darkness.

I saw a video where some unidentified warrior was using Lightbringer against Undead Army, and that sword emanated energy and light that turned wights into dust, and snow on the ground melted.

Maybe that video was fake, because two out of three scenes in that video were nearly 100% CG. Or maybe it was unused in GOT material, or maybe it was scenes from season 8. So if that video wasn't fake, then new AA will definitely fight against Undead Army with magical sword. The scene was short, but that sword wasn't Jon's current sword, and it wasn't Berric's burning sword.

52 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Again, I think you're mixing the books and the show. The show NEVER told anything about the sword Dawn, I can't see how they will suddenly present it as the special-extra-magical-mythical tool that will save the world…

For some reason they did inserted it into scene of Lyanna's death. Ned specifically took Dawn up into the Tower of Joy. Re-watch that scene again, the sword was intentionally put under a spot light (metaphorycally). Ned took Artur's sword, if that was just average sword, why did he took it? Why didn't he took swords of other guards? Why didn't he took swords of those who he defeated, why he took sword of a person that was backstabbed by someone else? That's because that sword is important, even on GOT, and it doesn't matted whether it was mentioned anywhere before.

In the show nothing about Dawn was ever mentioned, so there was no need to show to viewers that Arthur Dayne had a special sword, or for Ned to take that sword with him into the Tower. This was done for a reason. If the sword was shown before, it was done because it will reappear later, and will play a major role.

Just remember how 'Valyrian steel is a cryptonit for White Walkers' was revealed in GOT before - Jon just accidentaly grabbed that sword to try to protect himself from WW's attack, and then BAM!, instead of shattering from contact with Walker's weapon, like other weapon that Jon used during that fight, Valyrian sword was able to stop WW, and when Jon realised this, he killed WW with that sword. No explanation needed. It just happened. And after that they knew that Valyrian steel can kill WW.

12 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

AA might be a red herring or it might be someone we don't expect it to be, but it might also Jon and Dany together.
I doubt it's either Jon or Dany who's AA however, it'll either be both of them or none of them.

She's going to die and it's not very subtle. 

Not once has Daenerys taking the Iron Throne been foreshadowed. No one is getting that throne. 

5 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Hmmm... I am not sure with the "physically fight" thing... I mean will the Night King(in the tv show) die with a valyrian sword? Would the Night King die with dragon fire? It sounds to me so..simple... Magic is what created him. Ofc Dragons are creatures of magic, fire made flesh and the Valyrian steel is also created with Dragonfire and Valyrian Magic...

But still.. I agree that Dany is the AAR, it could be Jon too or both of them but I believe it's Dany since AAR is the champion of light, the champion of FIRE and Dany is pure fire.

So if Jon/Dany/both are the champions/warriors that will fight the Nights King what is Bran's role? The Others/WW were first created with CotF Magic..  Bran is a greenseer, greenseers were the CotF "wizards".. I think the Magic that created them will be needed to destroy them....

The dragon has three heads. 

Bran, Jon and Daenerys are the Messiahs.

2 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

No. Watch the scene in the house of the undying again. In the end it shows her going beyond the wall and joining Khal Drogo and Rhaego in a tent which implies she will die.

In childbirth? The baby is a girl, not a boy. I thought that was odd. "I will never have a little girl." (ADWD)

1 hour ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Not once has Daenerys taking the Iron Throne been foreshadowed. No one is getting that throne. 

But there was a scene in promo video, where Dany walking towards Iron Throne, and she see that someone is sitting there in shadows, and then turns out that it's Tyrion. He was sitting on IT, reading some book. Maybe it was Book of Lineage. So the meaning of that scene, is that Dany will never become Queen. Instead Tyrion will be sitting on IT. Though he wasn't wearing a crown. So probably he's a regent of Dany's child (her future child with Jon).

Can someone explain me how is the Dawn the legendary sword? 

Pok it's a sword with the name Dawn and dawn brings the light but how do you think it will be become Lightvringer. Azor Ahai used his wife to give life to his sword? So you believe that Jon Snow will do the same with Daenerys?

7 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I am willing to bet someone gets that throne. Kings Landing = London. Seven Kingdoms = Heptarchy. This whole series is historical fiction for the war of the roses. Just like England did not break up I doubt Westeros breaks up in the end.

But its totally true. Not once has Daenerys been foreshadowed to take the iron throne.

“DAARIO: You’ll get that throne you want so badly, I’m sure of it. I hope it brings you happiness.” 6x10

not once....

9 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Or it implies that the throne is her for the taking if she would've just reached out and taken it, but instead she leaves it behind, goes north and finds her family again. (It's not like they could have Kit Harrington sit in that tent back in S2, that would've ruined...a lot of things.)

Sounds familiar? Probably because that was her arc in season 7. The war against Cersei was pretty much won, Dany could've just taken the IT there and then, but instead she decides to go north to help save the realm, and so happens to find her last remaining family member while doing so.

7 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

You say that, but do you have any actual hints or proof of this, other than "it's to happy/obvious an ending if she survives"?

I can give you plenty of hints that suggests that she will survive (LotR-parallels, War of the Roses-parallels, the supposedly bittersweet but satisfying ending, the fact that she's most likely pregnant which will buy her 9 more months at the very least, how Daenerys is one of the "safe 5" from the original plotline, etc.) - Your turn. :)

On 10/26/2017 at 6:49 AM, MinscS2 said:

AA may be a red herring. But I doubt it is so, especially if we accept the Azor Ahai=PtwP equivalence (which I sort of assumed). The particular prophecy has been emphasized far too much, I think, for that to be the case. That would feel like bad storytelling at this juncture. Even the show emphasizes this prophecy repeatedly (even though it coud have spoken of others, e.g. the possibility that the Stallion that mounts the World may be Dany etc. But it is the PtwP prophecy that comes up again and again.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:57 AM, Megorova said:

I don't know that AA has to physically fight the NK and kill him. All he has to do is beat him back. If this can be done then killing him may not be necessary. The NK may turn out to be impossible to kill, only beat back for a few thousand years until he returns again.

On 10/26/2017 at 1:20 PM, Styl7 said:

There is no clear indication of what, if anything could kill the NK. The Children of the Forest don't even seem to know what could do it, and they are the ones who created him. And yes, Dany does seem to check more boxes than anyone (Aemon thought the dragons were definitive proof). The main argument against her seems to be that she is too obvious. But I think putting Jon at the Wall from the start has made her less obvious.

22 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

It seems to be extremely subtle. So subtle, in fact, that I cannot see it.

18 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Pok it's a sword with the name Dawn and dawn brings the light but how do you think it will be become Lightvringer. Azor Ahai used his wife to give life to his sword? So you believe that Jon Snow will do the same with Daenerys?

That Azor Ahai used his wife to forge it is a legend particular to the followers of the Lord of Light. However, the far more general memory shared by many different cultures (as in AWOIF) is the following:

How long the darkness endured no man can say, but all
agree that it was only when a great warrior—known variously
as Hyrkoon the Hero, Azor Ahai, Yin Tar, Neferion,
and Eldric Shadowchaser—arose to give courage to the race
of men and lead the virtuous into battle with his blazing
sword Lightbringer that the darkness was put to rout, and
light and love returned once more to the world.

Anyhow, it doesn't mean that the very same has to be done to forge it again. Especially if the old one is still around. Thoros of Myr says that it will have to be reforged in one of the histories and lore vids. But if this is a metaphor for dragons etc. then Dany has already done it with Drogo, hasn't she?

19 hours ago, Styl7 said:

No, the Dawn sword is already forged, so there's no need to kill anyone to complete it. AA's two first swords broken after forging, but Dawn was forged 1000+ years ago, and it's still whole.

25 minutes ago, Hajk1984 said:

I don't know that AA has to physically fight the NK and kill him. All he has to do is beat him back. If this can be done then killing him may not be necessary. The NK may turn out to be impossible to kill, only beat back for a few thousand years until he returns again.

Eventually NK is going to fight one on one against 'the last hero'. Because he's a warior, and wariors fight.

Three things that point out that NK is a warior:

1. he's riding on a horse.

2. he's wearing an armor.

3. he's wielding a weapon.

I doubt that he will just turn around and go back, if his army will be defeated. Up until now he NEVER retreated, his zombies never retreated. And based on how he was looking at Jon, during both of their encounters, he's dying to fight against him.

Archived