Recommendations for pioneer fiction.

Lyanna19

I am looking for books, any books with the settling of the West, and/or regarding New France, ( not sure if it can be classified as pioneer), but I recently read a book called: "The King's Daughter" by Suzanne Martel, it's about a sixteen year old orphan girl who came to Quebec to marry a widower with two children in the 1700's. Even though it's a children's book it was still awesome to read, looking for more books like that, or even ones like, "Becky Landers, frontier warrior" . Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

David Hackett Fischer's biography on Samuel de Champlain, Champlain's Dream is excellent.

Brian Moore's Black Robe: A Novel

Possibly Fred Anderson's A Crucible of War: The Seven Year's War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766

I've been looking for a copy of Richard White's The Middle Ground: Indians Empires and Republics in the Great Lakes Region 1650-1815 

There are several books on the history of New France I have had difficulty finding here in the US(not sure where you are located): Peter Moogk's La Nouvelle France: The Making of French Canada -- a Cultural History; W.J. Eccles The French in North America: 1500-1783 and The Canadian Frontier, 1534-1760; Allan Greer's the People of New France; and Jacques Lacoursiere's A People's History of Quebec.

There is also a 2017 French-Canadian film gathering a lot of attention: Hochelaga, Land of Souls (Hochelaga, Terre des Ames) about the history of Montreal. Again not sure where you are, but I expect it to be harder to find in the US. I really wish we had better access to French-Canadian media.

Don't get me started on what a pain it is to find Quebecois authors in the US. The only one's I can recall seeing in libraries or bookstores are Gabrielle Roy and Anne Hebert.

Of course, Dee Brown's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose (a semi-autobiographical family history set in various mining towns in the West). Stegner also wrote a history about the Mormon journey to Utah, The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail. Actually, Stegner was a prolific writer about the West. Lots of fiction and non-fiction to choose from.

Perhaps Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop, set in 19th.c New Mexico Territory.

A.B. Guthrie, Jr. wrote a number of novels set in frontier Montana The Big Sky, The Way West(Pulitzer Prize winner)

Hampton Sides" Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West

Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier

Wow! Thank-you! Astromech, most of these I've never heard of, but am looking forward to finding them. I'm from Canada, but my reading is not limited to Canadian fiction/history, American history and historical fiction is perfect too. I'm also a big fan of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, it seems all I know is the children books, so your recommendations are very welcome as they seem to cater to the more mature. Thank-you again

You're welcome and lucky you for having easier access to a number of those books and authors I listed. The King's Daughter had piqued my interest. The history surrounding the Filles du Roi is very interesting.

It is interesting, I have found two or more books on the Filles du Roi, but they didn't even come close to Suzanne Martel's. If I could remember the titles I would give them just so ppl could avoid them, but I can't. Mind you, I believe they got a few so so reviews, so somebody did enjoy them.

Another book I enjoyed was called "Calico Captive" by Elizabeth George Spear

http://allreaders.com/book-review-summary/calico-captive-25354

The above link tells it so much better than I could what the book is about. 

Archived