Who Will the Lannister Army Follow?

aeverett

I was rewatching 'The Lion and the Wolf' and it occurred to me that while Cersei might wear the crown, Jaime has always commanded the Lannister Army since his father's death.  As terrifying as the Mountain is, I doubt the entire army fears him, so why exactly would the remaining forces follow Cersei?  Jaime has been with them on the battlefield from Day 1.  He's one of them.  Cersei is a semi-legal queen, and technically, Jaime is now the head of House Lannister since he's no longer a kingsguard/queensguard and he's the first born male.  It just doesn't make sense that they'd follow her.  Am I missing something?  

It seems by 7x07 that Jamie is on his own, but historically most (or at least, many) armies loyalties lie with their commanders and not the king/president, etc. He might rally his army somewhere but I doubt it.

There's really no reason for the Lannister-army to be loyal to Cersei over Jamie at this stage as you say, especially given that this is a male-dominant society, but I bet come S8 the Lannister-army will be fully dedicated to Cersie becase Lena Headey™

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

It seems by 7x07 that Jamie is on his own, but historically most (or at least, many) armies loyalties lie with their commanders and not the king/president, etc. He might rally his army somewhere but I doubt it.

There's really no reason for the Lannister-army to be loyal to Cersei over Jamie at this stage as you say, especially given that this is a male-dominant society, but I bet come S8 the Lannister-army will be fully dedicated to Cersie becase Lena Headey™

:agree:

also, i don’t think Jaime is Lord of Casterly Rock. 

3 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

The sad thing is that as you pointed out, the only reason they'd follow Cersei is "cause tv show". If there was any consistency whatsoever, they'd all follow Jaime, especially considering Cersei has never actually commanded men or been in a battle.

21 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

The sad thing is that as you pointed out, the only reason they'd follow Cersei is "cause tv show". If there was any consistency whatsoever, they'd all follow Jaime, especially considering Cersei has never actually commanded men or been in a battle.

Thinking about it more... would they really follow Jaime?

Jaime doesn’t have a political bone in his body. He has always been the stupid Lannister. Before the army follows you you have to realize that you have power as the army’s commander and can rally it to you and away from your sister. Not sure Jaime can even think in those terms. 

Probably Jaime will go to Riverlands, and on his way to Winterfell, will order Lannisters troops, stationed at Twins and Edmur Tully's castle, to follow him. And they will. Because he's the one who brought them there. And Cersei won't interfer, because she already has Lannisters troops from Casterly Rock, and she will have even bigger army, when Golden Company will arrive from Essos. Also Riverlands Lannisters troops were away from Lannisters for too long, so they won't be as loyal to Cersei, as Casterly Rock's troops. They were on wars for a long time, away from their families. So if Jaime will explain to them about approaching Undead Army, they will follow Jaime to the North, to prevent NK from going to the rest of Westeros. They will be personally motivated to follow Jaime, for the sake of their families.

I'm expecting motivational speech from Jaime, by the end of first episode. Something family oriented. He may be not the smartest Lannister, but he knows what buttons to push, to make people do what he wants, same how he convinced Edmur to betray his uncle. By the end of first episode, they will be marching towards Winterfell (or most likely White Harbor), to join Jon and Dany.

I'm expecting some of the Lannister armies to abandon Cersei for Jaime, either via a motivation speech from the latter or they will just turn up and tell him that they know what'll happen if this war is lost, that they're loyal to him and go where he goes.

Of course, most of the Lannister army is already wiped out so it won't really warrant a massive amount of troops.

5 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Thinking about it more... would they really follow Jaime?

Jaime doesn’t have a political bone in his body. He has always been the stupid Lannister. Before the army follows you you have to realize that you have power as the army’s commander and can rally it to you and away from your sister. Not sure Jaime can even think in those terms. 

Yes. because he has a reputation as a great warrior (not anymore, but still). He led the Lannister army in taking out the Tully loyalists and taking Riverrun. He took out the Tyrells and plundered Highgarden.

Plus he has a penis and I doubt the Lannister soldiers want to face the potential wrath of a pissed off and betrayed Daenerys.

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yes. because he has a reputation as a great warrior (not anymore, but still). He led the Lannister army in taking out the Tully loyalists and taking Riverrun. He took out the Tyrells and plundered Highgarden.

Plus he has a penis and I doubt the Lannister soldiers want to face the potential wrath of a pissed off and betrayed Daenerys.

You have to ask people to follow you before they follow you. That is my point.

jaime would have to make a political move to win their support. Not sure he has that in him.

2 hours ago, jcmontea said:

You have to ask people to follow you before they follow you. That is my point.

jaime would have to make a political move to win their support. Not sure he has that in him.

All he has to tell them is that Cersei's plan will almost assuredly lead to their deaths. As for him not having that in him, if he doesn't make the move, then his unborn child will most likely die as well. If that's not enough motivation to put his big-boy political pants on.....wait who am I kidding, this is D&D.

9 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

All he has to tell them is that Cersei's plan will almost assuredly lead to their deaths. As for him not having that in him, if he doesn't make the move, then his unborn child will most likely die as well. If that's not enough motivation to put his big-boy political pants on.....wait who am I kidding, this is D&D.

Yea. I am just not sure that is Show Jaime. But who knows. If he tried to do it i wouldn’t be surprised and if he didn’t i also would not be surprised. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Yea. I am just not sure that is Show Jaime. But who knows. If he tried to do it i wouldn’t be surprised and if he didn’t i also would not be surprised. 

Agreed. That's the whole heart of the matter. Jaime should have abandonded Cersei loooong ago. There's very little consistency with this guy.

19 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Agreed. That's the whole heart of the matter. Jaime should have abandonded Cersei loooong ago. There's very little consistency with this guy.

In fairness to show Jaime, they did get rid of Tyrion telling him that Cersei had been sleeping around with Lancel, Kettlebacks etc. 

not sure if book jaime leaves her without that. 

On 10/30/2017 at 11:36 AM, Megorova said:

Probably Jaime will go to Riverlands, and on his way to Winterfell, will order Lannisters troops, stationed at Twins and Edmur Tully's castle, to follow him.

I see someone’s been reading the leaked season 8 scripts..

Don’t worry. They’re fake. Probably. 

Archived