MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

Yanks just dumped Chase Headley back to the Padres.  Hmm...no idea why they're do it, but I hope this means a Todd Frazier return.  Love that guy.

ETA:  Also lots of chatter Yanks are targeting Michael Fulmer or the Dbacks' Patrick Corbin.  Dunno much about Corbin, but have to imagine Fulmer would require quite the prospect bounty.

34 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yanks just dumped Chase Headley back to the Padres.  Hmm...no idea why they're do it, but I hope this means a Todd Frazier return.  Love that guy.

ETA:  Also lots of chatter Yanks are targeting Michael Fulmer or the Dbacks' Patrick Corbin.  Dunno much about Corbin, but have to imagine Fulmer would require quite the prospect bounty.

Cashman works some black magic but you're probably right. Fulmer will cost. 

37 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Agreed. Not sure raiding their system for Fulmer is worth it. Glad they dumped Headley though. Either frees up space for Miguel Andujar or they're looking at someone.

Just now, Mexal said:

Either frees up space for Miguel Andujar or they're looking at someone.

I don't think they'll leave two infield positions solely to the kids - and they clearly were not comfortable with Andujar's defense even in September.  With this trade they have ~ $35 million to spend under the tax.  Gotta leave some for flexibility during the season (trade deadline), but let's say they now have at least $25 million.  I expect some of that will go to a veteran infielder, one way or another.

And yeah, unless Cash can totally swindle the Tigers on Fulmer, I don't think it's worth it.

The Headley deal has to be about the Padres wanting Mitchell but taking Chase and his salary was part of the cost.  They clearly have no need for an old warhorse on his last legs, as much as the fans in SD love the guy.

22 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The Headley deal has to be about the Padres wanting Mitchell but taking Chase and his salary was part of the cost.

Certainly.  Didn't mention Mitchell because he's out of options which means he'd almost certainly eventually go through waivers and get claimed for nothing if the Yankees didn't move him.

44 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The Headley deal has to be about the Padres wanting Mitchell but taking Chase and his salary was part of the cost.  They clearly have no need for an old warhorse on his last legs, as much as the fans in SD love the guy.

Yea, seems like they wanted to buy Mitchell. Seems to be a decent pitcher.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Marcell Ozuna to Cards. He was overshadowed by Stanton last year, but dude can flat out rake. 

What Jeter is doing is unbelievable. If you can't afford good players, you shouldn't be allowed to buy a team, especially not a team with the Marlin's history of terrible ownership screwing over the team over to make money. This is so wrong.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What Jeter is doing is unbelievable. If you can't afford good players, you shouldn't be allowed to buy a team, especially not a team with the Marlin's history of terrible ownership screwing over the team over to make money. This is so wrong.

Ozuna is under contractual control via salary arbitration through the end of 2019 - so not even expensive.

Also, which I mentioned before, the (new!) stadium has been paid for by billions of public money. In Miami. It's fucking criminal. 

10 minutes ago, Week said:

Ozuna is under contractual control via salary arbitration through the end of 2019 - so not even expensive.

Also, which I mentioned before, the (new!) stadium has been paid for by billions of public money. In Miami. It's fucking criminal. 

Yeah. They overpaid for the team by close to $300m, and low and behold, that's the amount of salary they dumped. FOR NOTHING. They traded the reigning MVP, who is the third best every day player in the league, for again, NOTHING! And what makes it worse, baseball signed off on it. They knew Jeter was going to do this and they went along with it.

As far as the stadium goes, it was one of the most crooked things I've seen in sports. They threaten to move the team if they don't get a plush stadium deal, and once they get it the owner sells the team because of the spike in value. He also back loaded all the big contracts because the plan was always to rob Miami and make someone else deal with all the problems while getting a $1b windfall. 

Crooks. 

Welcome to the Jacoby Ellsbury hell of trying to find salary relief (granted, Kemp has one less year and no NTC, but also sucks considerably more).  

I think it's important to emphasize in the last past week the Yankees and Dodgers engaged in pure salary dumps with the Padres and Braves, respectively.  Think about that for a second.  Now, some of this is so they can both spend more next year, sure, but the new CBA has effectively created a cap with the punitive taxes when going over the luxury threshold.  This will ultimately lead to players getting a much lower share of revenues - and the player's association didn't even put up a fight about it.  

On 2017-12-11 at 9:51 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Me, Week, is that about it? There are others, but not that often, it seems. I'm not even that regular.

To be clear, I don't blame the Yankees for making this deal. I just think we should contract the Marlins instead of letting them flounder along like they're being run as a front for a cartel. They're the player in the fantasy league who gave up early in the season and doesn't even bother to set lineups any more.

Dude, Many vs. Myshkin IS this thread for half the year.

Longoria to Giants for Span and prospects.  He's been a bust of late.  Change of pace, even to a hitter unfriendly park, may help.

No word yet on how the $86M is divided.  Assuming TB is paying part.  I like the deal for SF, depending on how much they pay (they have deep-ish pockets and can afford it for sure).

Archived