MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

So for the third straight year, Greg Bird is plagued with injuries to (at least) open up the season.  6-8 weeks to remove a bone spur isn't too bad in a vacuum, but if he isn't able to come back and stay relatively healthy for the rest of this year, it's getting very hard not to conclude he's the second coming of Nick Johnson.

For the prospect-junky inclined, Fangraphs has slowly but surely been updating their team top prospect lists.  They have some of the best scouting reports and data that's (freely) out there, and they just posted their Yankees writeup.  While he's about half-a-decade away, the 14th-ranked prospect Ezequiel Duran hasn't been mentioned anywhere else (McDaniel says even he hadn't heard of him before starting work on the list), and the tool grades and writeup are drool-worthy.  Looks like a new crush for the new year.

Anyway, T-minus 44 hours to opening day, getting pumped!

It's opening day! Wooohooo!

The Cardinals are playing today at Citi Field, about a half hour away. I'd go, but I couldn't be That Guy, wearing the other team's jersey at a home opener. Plus it's overpriced and still touching the 40s this morning. That's the temperature, not Wainwright's fastball speed.

Watching the miserable NBA season has been a slog - I just hate that I have to watch my team try to lose games instead of win - so I am very keen on baseball being back. A lot of exciting teams, and the possibility for some great down-the-stretch rivalries.

29 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

It's opening day! Wooohooo!

The Cardinals are playing today at Citi Field, about a half hour away. I'd go, but I couldn't be That Guy, wearing the other team's jersey at a home opener. Plus it's overpriced and still touching the 40s this morning. That's the temperature, not Wainwright's fastball speed.

Watching the miserable NBA season has been a slog - I just hate that I have to watch my team try to lose games instead of win - so I am very keen on baseball being back. A lot of exciting teams, and the possibility for some great down-the-stretch rivalries.

I've been to Citi for the Mets home opener in Yankees attire. But yeah early season games in New York are bad, CitiField in particular.

24 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Why not?  I think it is a waste to play a rivalry game on Opening Day.

Just seems odd that none of those four teams are opening within their divisions, when clearly that was easily doable for all of them.

Archived