MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

44 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

McCutchen to Giants for a broken in first baseman’s glove and an open but unused stick of pine tar (or equivalent).

I'll say it again, Jeter has nothing on Bob Nutting. But hey, now the Buccos have even more "financial flexibility". 

2 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

look the broken in first baseman's glove was our third highest rated minor league prospect as of yesterday morning THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

And now, unless the Giants make a corresponding move, Brandon Belt is gonna open the season using one of Posey’s old catcher’s mitts. And everybody’s gonna have real slippery bats. I’m starting to think this was a bad move for the Giants.

Y'know, if you squint real hard, the Giants have a pretty good ballclub.  It requires assuming everyone will be healthy, which is never gonna happen, but hey, who knows.  The Dodgers are counting on a decent number of older players to repeat statistically above-average seasons.  Good luck with that.

4 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

and then it's Sorcery Bumgarner time.

I may be totally out of the loop.  Does Sorcery mean Bumgarner destroying worlds?  As a somewhat Giants fan - my father and his (now dead) father hate that I prefer the Yanks - I felt somewhat justified in correcting for accuracy. :)

On 1/14/2018 at 5:15 AM, dmc515 said:

Musgrove had bad numbers last year but he's big, throws strikes, and just turned 25.  It's a decent bet with 5 years of control he outperforms Cole in WAR (in Cole's 2 years of control).  Moran is a bit of a polarizing prospect, and some of that has to do with fatigue.  He's actually a couple months older than Musgrove, and was drafted (6th overall) way back in 2013.  He had a great season at Triple A last year.  The two of them are somewhat comparable to, say, Jordan Montgomery and Miguel Andujar.  While both Yanks have higher stock right now (especially the latter compared to Moran), when you factor in the other two guys the Astros gave up, I don't think it's as bad a deal for the Pirates as I thought at first glance.

I don't want the Yanks to sign Darvish (and think that Michael Kay rumor was absolute bullshit).  I also really don't want them to sign Arrieta.  I guess one good thing from this trade is it makes a Frazier and Adams package seem pretty good, in comparison, for a controllable starter.  Throw in another one of the bevy of high-ceiling power arms they have, and I hope that could pry away a Fulmer or an Archer (don't expect the latter as the Rays aren't gonna wanna deal, but someone similar).

I don't mind Darvish assuming Cashman can get creative and the Yankees can stay under 197. It will allow us to either keep some of our guys to fill holes that might come up this year or flip them for someone else at the deadline.  

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I may be totally out of the loop.  Does Sorcery mean Bumgarner destroying worlds?  As a somewhat Giants fan - my father and his (now dead) father hate that I prefer the Yanks - I felt somewhat justified in correcting for accuracy. :)

Sorcery is the ground attack [swinging bunts turning into little league triples, scoring from second on a wild pitch], Conor Gillaspie turning into a power hitter, Jake Peavy turning back the sands of time, Barry Zito having the only 3 good starts of his 7 year contract in the same LCS,

Sorcery is going 87-75 in the regular season and then 12-2 in the postseason against teams that should be "better" than them for reasons nobody understands and no pundit predicts.  And it has something to do with even numbered years.

This Cardinals fan wholly agrees with the even year curse/blessing. A 30 win upswing? Sounds about right for those voodoo-using, Knights Templar conspiracy accomplices, Moon-landing fakers. But hey, sounds like the Pirates and Reds are going to try to lose 90 games this year, so Cardinals and Cubs records could be nice and padded.

13 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't mind Darvish assuming Cashman can get creative and the Yankees can stay under 197. It will allow us to either keep some of our guys to fill holes that might come up this year or flip them for someone else at the deadline.  

I'd much prefer using the money they have until they hit 197 on at least one veteran infielder (preferably for 3b as I like keeping the keystone open for Torres) and leveraging their prospect depth into acquiring a cheaper starter.  Also, signing Darvish and still having enough wiggle room under 197 to account for bonuses and the ability to make midseason additions requires trading at least one of Robertson, Gardner, Betances, or Warren.  I don't wanna trade any of them.

7 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Sorcery is going 87-75 in the regular season and then 12-2 in the postseason against teams that should be "better" than them for reasons nobody understands and no pundit predicts.  And it has something to do with even numbered years.

LOL, gotcha.  And yay for it being an even numbered year.

What don't you like about limiting visits to the mound? Just curious. I think my guy Yadi has to approach the mound more than any catcher I can think of. Even still, I'm all for speeding up the process. I love pitchers that move right along, though perhaps because so many Cardinals pitchers take their sweet ass time on the mound. Pitching changes slow games to a crawl, especially in the post-season with longer commercial breaks - though I've no idea how to speed that up with so much advertisement money involved.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, Joe Pesci said:

I'll say it again, Jeter has nothing on Bob Nutting. But hey, now the Buccos have even more "financial flexibility". 

Nah, he traded a top 5 player who is the reigning MVP to a team with a very deep farm system for a bag of peanuts. And they've dumped other good players too for nothing. And wait, it gets better! Jeter's financial plan is to increase attendance by 50% while the fan base is planning on boycotting the team. If he cannot achieve the increase in attendance, they'll have to slash the roster salary even more! This team is going to be awful for years and the financial plan guarantees it all while making sure that Jeter still turns a personal profit.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

What don't you like about limiting visits to the mound? Just curious. I think my guy Yadi has to approach the mound more than any catcher I can think of. Even still, I'm all for speeding up the process. I love pitchers that move right along, though perhaps because so many Cardinals pitchers take their sweet ass time on the mound. Pitching changes slow games to a crawl, especially in the post-season with longer commercial breaks - though I've no idea how to speed that up with so much advertisement money involved.

I don’t see the need to change the system. I think pace of play has been blown out of proportion. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 

4 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

I don’t see the need to change the system. I think pace of play has been blown out of proportion. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 

Well, I think it is somewhat broke.  I don't have a problem with the pitch clock - I think most guys will adjust just fine.  Limiting it to only one mound visit per inning seems a bit extreme, but apparently teams get six "freebies" if I'm reading it right:

Under the proposal, each team would have received six so-called “no-change” visits that would have prevented the pitcher from leaving the game.

That seems pretty reasonable to me - even as Gary Sanchez is one of the most egregious offenders in frequent mound visits.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, he traded a top 5 player who is the reigning MVP to a team with a very deep farm system for a bag of peanuts. And they've dumped other good players too for nothing. And wait, it gets better! Jeter's financial plan is to increase attendance by 50% while the fan base is planning on boycotting the team. If he cannot achieve the increase in attendance, they'll have to slash the roster salary even more! This team is going to be awful for years and the financial plan guarantees it all while making sure that Jeter still turns a personal profit.

This all sounds vaguely familiar, almost like it happened in Pittsburgh before, and is continuing to happen as we speak. This has been Pittsburgh baseball since 1992. I can go into painful detail if necessary, but it will be at great personal cost to my current well being. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/16/pittsburgh-pirates-andrew-mccutchen-gerrit-cole-bob-nutting

Archived