Gun Control III: the Hedge Knight Rises.

Mother Cocanuts

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Come on, dude. Crack epidemic in the 1980s, mostly affected black people, society's response was lock up everyone they could. Let the rest murder each other. White people start dying in the opioid epidemic, and society decides we need to react with compassion, focus on treatment and diversion programs.

You may not realize that California's strict gun laws were signed by Governor Ronald Reagan, when the Black Panthers started exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

If you don't see the racially disaparate impact of law enforcement and drug policies, you haven't been paying attention.

Yes, money makes a difference, but skin color absolutely makes a difference. A poor white person may be abused by the police. A poor black person definitely will. A rich white man will almost certainly get treated with kid gloves by police. And maybe a wealthy black man may get treated well too. But tell Michael Bennett or James Blake that their money protects them from police abuse.

Will answer you tomorrow, as best I can.  I don’t disagree entirely, didn’t know the Reagon thing.  I have my own fears that have nothing to do with my own well being, nor do I think anyone should be privileged over another.

6 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

That due process of law exists to prevent the arbitrary administration of law is not a weak interpretation of due process. Due process is a standard that applies to all criminal proceedings. Therefore, I don't see how a constitutional protection against arbitrary arrest is a "fairly weak" interpretation of the Constitution. It's literally applying the accepted standard of what constitutes due process of law and applying it to proceedings that are explicitly deemed applicable by the text of the constitution.  

I say it's fairly weak because it has been not nearly as heavily enforced or scrutinized as the 2nd or 1st amendments. It is a right, and should be a strong one, but as we've seen with minorities and 'suspected terrorists' it can be suspended quite quickly for fairly arbitrary reasons, and with little in the way of fights.

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Remember, the same Americans who elected Trump also elected Obama 4 years prior. And some places went overwhelmingly for Obama in 2012 and then went overwhelmingly for Trump in 2016. 

Um, no, this is just wrong. Trump lost by 3 million votes. But if you have some evidence for that assertion, I'd love to see it. No doubt some did cross over, but it's nowhere near the overwhelming majority you make it sound like. And only ONE county voted overwhelmingly for both Obama and Trump: Howard County, Iowa. 

15 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

Will answer you tomorrow, as best I can.  I don’t disagree entirely, didn’t know the Reagon thing.  I have my own fears that have nothing to do with my own well being, nor do I think anyone should be privileged over another.

Here's another example: black men sentenced for longer than white people for same crimes. Controls for age, income, etc.

5 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Um, no, this is just wrong. Trump lost by 3 million votes. But if you have some evidence for that assertion, I'd love to see it. No doubt some did cross over, but it's nowhere near the overwhelming majority you make it sound like. And only ONE county voted overwhelmingly for both Obama and Trump: Howard County, Iowa. 

Trump losing by 3 million votes is fairly immaterial in this example. The evidence I have is that the US elected Obama and also elected Trump. Trump won states that Obama won. 

I'm not saying that there was massive crossover everywhere, though we at least have evidence that it did happen. But your assertion that Trump won because there are people clamoring for authoritarianism is either true only because many of those people ALSO voted for Obama, hoping for authoritarianism, or is false. Which is it? (for the record I suspect strongly it's the former, and the desire for authority to step in and Do The Right Thing is more conservative leaning but is not solely conservative). 

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I say it's fairly weak because it has been not nearly as heavily enforced or scrutinized as the 2nd or 1st amendments. It is a right, and should be a strong one, but as we've seen with minorities and 'suspected terrorists' it can be suspended quite quickly for fairly arbitrary reasons, and with little in the way of fights.

I see. Our disagreement, then, is semantic, so I won't press the issue further. 

• 2 months later...

I assume this was basically the successor to the Las Vegas shooting thread, right?

Police have charged a man for illegally selling ammunition to the shooter.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/arizona-man-charged-ammunition-bullets-las-vegas-1.4518013

According to the criminal complaint against Haig, filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix, he met with Paddock on more than one occasion, including once at Haig's home the month before the shooting to sell ammunition to Paddock, the U.S. attorney's office in Las Vegas said in a statement.

It said Haig previously ran an internet business, called Specialized Military Ammunition, selling armour-piercing bullets — some consisting of high-explosive and incendiary rounds — throughout the United States, but lacked a licence to manufacture such ammunition.

Haig is charged with a single count of conspiracy to manufacture and sell armour-piercing ammunition, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, according to the statement.

Prosecutors said Haig's fingerprints were found on some of the unfired high-calibre rounds at the crime scene and that armour-piercing casings recovered from Paddock's hotel room bore tool marks matching the "reloading" equipment they said Haig used to assemble ammunition cartridges.

Haig, a 55-year-old aerospace engineer who sold ammunition as a hobby for about 25 years, was charged 35 minutes before holding a news conference where he said he didn't notice anything suspicious when he sold the tracer rounds to Paddock.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume this was basically the successor to the Las Vegas shooting thread, right?

Police have charged a man for illegally selling ammunition to the shooter.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/arizona-man-charged-ammunition-bullets-las-vegas-1.4518013

Maximum 5 years and $250k.

I know there is reform that has been enacted/pending -- but jfc - MINIMUM sentencing:

Type of drug Five Year Sentence Without Parole Ten Year Sentence Without Parole
LSD 1 gram 10 grams
Marijuana 100 plants/100 kilos 1000 plants/1000 kilos
Crack cocaine 5 grams 50 grams
Powder cocaine 500 grams 5 kilos
Heroin 100 grams 1 kilo
Methamphetamine 10 grams 100 grams
PCP 10 grams 100 grams

On 2/6/2018 at 5:34 AM, Fragile Bird said:

The stupid thing is that, if he'd had a license, there would have been nothing legally wrong with selling armour piercing or explosive rounds. So it's hardly due justice.

16 hours ago, Yukle said:

It seems a prudent time to post this.

These are the American federal politicians who receive the most funding from the NRA.

Not to mention the NRA receiving money from Russia to help lobby and pay?  Investigations . . . .

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/nra-russia-and-trump-money-laundering-poisoning-us-democracy-commentary.html

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Not to mention the NRA receiving money from Russia to help lobby and pay?  Investigations . . . .

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/nra-russia-and-trump-money-laundering-poisoning-us-democracy-commentary.html

Someone needs to follow up on that inquiry. I have a feeling there's some very interesting stuff there. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Is there a pie that Putin doesn't have his finger in right now?

His personal fortune is claimed to be in the hundreds of millions but Forbes has theorised that since so much of his wealth is off the books, it's possible Putin's personal fortune exceeds $US20 billion. If that's the case, given the NRA is notorious for being able to stretch its surprisingly meager funding a long way, even a six-figure donation to them would make a huge difference.

That said, the Democrats almost clean-swept NRA backed candidates out of Virginia, and should really have won the state's house were it not for gerrymandering.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Is there a pie that Putin doesn't have his finger in right now?

His personal fortune is claimed to be in the hundreds of millions but Forbes has theorised that since so much of his wealth is off the books, it's possible Putin's personal fortune exceeds $US20 billion. If that's the case, given the NRA is notorious for being able to stretch its surprisingly meager funding a long way, even a six-figure donation to them would make a huge difference.

That said, the Democrats almost clean-swept NRA backed candidates out of Virginia, and should really have won the state's house were it not for gerrymandering.

I've heard numbers as high as over $100b. It's impossible to know though, because it's laundered in so many ways, plus he gets a cut from most of the major companies in the country. The whole thing with Putin and Trump, from Putin's perspective, is ending The Magnitsky Act. That's what the secret Trump Tower meeting was about. US sanctions have trapped a lot of his money.

Also, I think Trump saw Putin's business model and wants to replicate it here for himself, and it's working swimmingly so far. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've heard numbers as high as over $100b. It's impossible to know though, because it's laundered in so many ways, plus he gets a cut from most of the major companies in the country. The whole thing with Putin and Trump, from Putin's perspective, is ending The Magnitsky Act. That's what the secret Trump Tower meeting was about. US sanctions have trapped a lot of his money.

Certainly it's true that Putin isn't aiming for America's finances to collapse, just their regulation of them. Specifically, his finances. Idiots who believe Fox News argue, "If Putin hates America, why hasn't he declared war?!"

His fortune, however big (yuge, you might say), relies heavily on the success of the West that he has invested in. There's only so much that can be stolen from impoverished suburban families in Moscow or farmers in Siberia. He'd happily see the end of America's political institutions - and he is doing as good a job as possible at eroding them - in order for the markets he robs to flourish.

Putin seems a lot like Trump, not necessarily intelligent, but certainly brilliant at exploiting public opinion as a mask to act however he wishes. And, like Trump, he doesn't deny what he is doing because he has picked a racial target as a common enemy that his public admirers also hate. In his case it's Americans, in Trump's case it's non-white people.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I think Trump saw Putin's business model and wants to replicate it here for himself, and it's working swimmingly so far. 

Magnitsky Act=Russian adoptions =lifting the sanctions.  By discussing the first two they really were talking about lifting sanctions. 

Archived