Gun Control III: the Hedge Knight Rises.

Mother Cocanuts

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've heard numbers as high as over $100b. It's impossible to know though, because it's laundered in so many ways, plus he gets a cut from most of the major companies in the country. The whole thing with Putin and Trump, from Putin's perspective, is ending The Magnitsky Act. That's what the secret Trump Tower meeting was about. US sanctions have trapped a lot of his money.

Also, I think Trump saw Putin's business model and wants to replicate it here for himself, and it's working swimmingly so far. 

Trump uses Putin's money to prop up his real estate holdings. Putin tries to get Trump to repeal Magnitsky Act so he can get his money out and back home.. If Putin is successful, he can foreclose on Trump's properties.The question is how stupid is Trump?

7 hours ago, Yukle said:

Is everyone staying up to watch the overnight session of Congress doing absolutely nothing about gun violence in the USA? I'm pumped.

What do you expect them to do?  Nothing short of a complete firearms ban will do anything - any "restrictions" are nothing more than feel-good political gestures.  Magazine limits, type bans - none of it will stop shit.  Thanks to the 2a and the fact that 1/2 of the USA are welded to their weapons and ideology surrounding them - you're never, ever going to see an end to this sort of violence.  Ever. 

2 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

What do you expect them to do?  Nothing short of a complete firearms ban will do anything - any "restrictions" are nothing more than feel-good political gestures.  Magazine limits, type bans - none of it will stop shit.  Thanks to the 2a and the fact that 1/2 of the USA are welded to their weapons and ideology surrounding them - you're never, ever going to see an end to this sort of violence.  Ever. 

Pretty much. If you want to live in a country that doesn't have this issue then move seems to be your best option. 

For a country that so strongly and consistently fears various foreign boogey men, it (the U.S.) seems to amazingly be oblivious to the fact that the most prolific and effective killer of Americans..... is other Americans. A lot of us seem to strongly dislike each other.

A good first step- STOP FUCKING HATING EACH OTHER.

I aplogise if this has been posted; but I just heard it, and had to check out the maths for myself.

US gun deaths 2014-Today (so 50 months) = 58,614

Vietnam War US Casualties (so 234 months) = 58,220

Source for Vietman:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics

Source for domestic: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ & http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls

2018 = 1,859

2017 = 15,590

2016 = 15,094

2015 = 13,515

2014 = 12,556

Total = 58,614

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

I aplogise if this has been posted; but I just heard it, and had to check out the maths for myself.

US gun deaths 2014-Today (so 50 months) = 58,614

Vietnam War US Casualties (so 234 months) = 58,220

Reveal hidden contents

Source for Vietman:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics

Source for domestic: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ & http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls

2018 = 1,859

2017 = 15,590

2016 = 15,094

2015 = 13,515

2014 = 12,556

Total = 58,614

Here’s another stat I heard recently:

More people have died in the US from gun violence since 1969 than Americans who’ve died in wars since we entered WW2.

2 hours ago, Olorin81 said:

We have a retarded orangutan for a President. I don't know what is more sad and scary, that this asshole is our President or the mindset of the Americans that put him there.

There were plenty of other horrific mass shootings, and "regular" shootings everyday, thousands per year in Chicago alone, (sometimes 150 shootings per weekend and 25+deaths in a single long weekend there), long before the orange orangutan showed up on the scene.  Blaming Trump, hating Trump, and talking about Trump isn't going to get us out of the cycle of violence society is in.

I say society, because places like the UK, whose citizens love to congratulate themselves on the lack of "gun violence", have PLENTY of other types of violent, and lethal assualts on other people.  In fact you're far less likely to be the victim of a  violent crime in Canada than the UK, yet Canada has a rate of firearm ownership 1/2 the USA, a HUGE number of guns, 15 million plus in a nation of  35 million.  Meanwhile, the UK has had what, 1500 acid attacks in London alone since 2015, averaging well over 2 per day in 2017?  Add in 37,000 stabbings in 2017 as well - violence is a massive problem the world over.  It's just that violence in America more frequently = dead people due to firearms. 

Time to take them all away.  As I said, violence is a massive problem worldwide, but we can't begin to make a dent in it in the USA IMO until the most lethal tools are removed from the equation.  Simultaneously we need to deal with all forms of violence.  As in instant lifetime sentence for any assault that isn't proven to be self defense, weapon or not.  Until we get serious, and take serious measures - it's human nature to be violent, and until there are serious penalties which will act as a counter to that - it won't end, in any form, be it firearms, acid, knives, hands, or feet.

1 hour ago, SerHaHa said:

In fact you're far less likely to be the victim of a  violent crime in Canada than the UK

I'm slightly sceptical of this, given that Canada's homicide rate is a bit less than double the UK's (per wikipedia, which I admit might be wrong). Is it possible the discrepency is due to a difference in what crimes are recorded as "violent?"

Meanwhile, the UK has had what, 1500 acid attacks in London alone since 2015

Pretty sure it's 1500 in the last five years, keeping in mind that "acid attacks" (more properly corrosive substances), covers a wide range of scenarios and substances of very different strengths.

13 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Full registration, and make (last known) owners accountable financially for any misuse of their weapons. Allow stores and other sellers to be held accountable.

No bans needed.

edit: extend accountability to gun ranges and other groups where people shoot.

I say society, because places like the UK, whose citizens love to congratulate themselves on the lack of "gun violence", have PLENTY of other types of violent, and lethal assualts on other people.  In fact you're far less likely to be the victim of a  violent crime in Canada than the UK, yet Canada has a rate of firearm ownership 1/2 the USA, a HUGE number of guns, 15 million plus in a nation of  35 million.  ...

1 Make very sure nations actually use comparable definitions for things like 'violent crime' when you make claims like these.

2 To a very large extent hunting weapons if I remember correctly, and far stricter regulation of the incredibly disruptive handguns.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I'm slightly sceptical of this, given that Canada's homicide rate is a bit less than double the UK's (per wikipedia, which I admit might be wrong). Is it possible the discrepency is due to a difference in what crimes are recorded as "violent?"

Pretty sure it's 1500 in the last five years, keeping in mind that "acid attacks" (more properly corrosive substances), covers a wide range of scenarios and substances of very different strengths.

Sweet geez, 1500 acid attacks? Holy shit!

8 hours ago, Seli said:

1 Make very sure nations actually use comparable definitions for things like 'violent crime' when you make claims like these.

2 To a very large extent hunting weapons if I remember correctly, and far stricter regulation of the incredibly disruptive handguns.

1 - Yes, just saying something "mean" can be a violent crime in the UK, so you make a valid point,  but based off the 37,000 stabbings and thousands of acid attacks across the UK in 2017, the, I'm not in left field by any means.

2- You're incorrect.  There are millions of handguns, and at least 500,000 magazine fed assault type semi autos like the AR15, Sig PE90/Swiss Arms, CZ858 (looks like an AK variant but has a different system, same caliber, effect is the same), and so forth.  Yes, there are restrictions on transport, storage, and ranges for the handguns (and not the majority of assault weapons which fall into NON restricted class now), but again, they are STILL IN POSSESSION of pretty much anyone who wished to do a few hours of classroom work and fill out a 4 page form.

This is my point - feel good laws with "restrictions" and "rules" make NO difference with a determined or mentally ill attacker.  Adding more of these types of restrictions is NOT going to stop the violent use of firearms in the numbers we're seeing. 

BAN.  THEM.  ALL.  Just like the mad king wanted.

1 hour ago, unpaid comintern said:

15,000 acid attacks according to the lauren southern/tim gionet school of reporting

Make that 15,002.  My neighbor just threw a condom filled with orange juice at me and I retaliated by hucking a lime at his head a la the poolside 'fruiting' in Mrs. Doubtfire.  

Things are getting violently citradelic around here!

2 hours ago, unpaid comintern said:

15,000 acid attacks according to the lauren southern/tim gionet school of reporting

When you have that many acid "attacks," it's NOT funny.

This is my point - feel good laws with "restrictions" and "rules" make NO difference with a determined or mentally ill attacker.  Adding more of these types of restrictions is NOT going to stop the violent use of firearms in the numbers we're seeing. 

There are plenty examples of "half measures" that have been found to reduce violence, or at least gun deaths.  I think you're being too extreme.

Archived