larrytheimp

Bakker LII: Ol' Golgotterath Blues

353 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Whether they could afford it or not is irrelevant. It would still be stupid expensive.

And 250 mil isn't? I think, imho, its gonna be a huge loss for Amazon. Its worn out and people want new content. 

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

To, your rather see an overdone LotR, than something new.

Who said this besides you? Never mind, I'm not getting into this again...

46 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Bah. He'll get a deal. I find the pessimism around here laughable. From the AmA ruined the series. To, your rather see an overdone LotR, than something new. Its a lack of vision on Amazon's behalf. What fair weather fans. You should be ashamed. But, you won't. I get the feeling around here that you guys know what Bakker should do and what he shouldn't. Instead of just seeing what the man pulls off. 

You're starting to give off kind of an Annie Wilkes vibe, you know that?

That being said, I agree it's very unlikely that Bakker will be unable to get the next series published.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

And 250 mil isn't? I think, imho, its gonna be a huge loss for Amazon. Its worn out and people want new content. 

No. Its not. You should look up how much films/shows cost to produce that are fx heavy, because you are way off the mark on this one.

Also you keep ignoring the actual point, which is that TSA would be super FX heavy and cost a shit ton of money. Way more than say, I dunno, that Rings trilogy thing they made a while back.

Hmm some quick math off the top of my head 25K for an option on the series 225K if exercised, I'd try to do the first two books as one twelve episode season so you can end on the natural circumfix climax, so twelve episodes. GOT had iirc an 80 million budget for season one on ten episodes, so since this property is less valuable even though there's inflation you can say we will do it lower budget and aim at 80 million for a twelve episode order. Figure spend two million in pre production 40 million on production 36 million on post production and 1.75 million on production insurance. This season would have six locations: Demua wilderness, utemot, momemn, sumna, and generic castle city to be sacked that you can keep redressing and reuse (like GOT) to pretend they are different cities being sacked, and circumfix city.

figure two shooting units (b unit on Demua utemot, a unit on momemn sumna) and interiors in studio. Camera package is either red dragons or Alexa 65 whichever is cheaper and gives you the most latitude in post. About the same number of extras as GOT season one, no horses, and a slightly smaller main cast, there's no kids so your shooting schedule is shorter saving a lot of money. Minimize expansive wide shots or goofy camera moves through the locations. Probably 90 location days, 80 studio days. 3 editors for 16 weeks (4 weeks per episode ) and three assistants (one temp gfx focused). One editor and assistant for 6 weeks to finalize every show once graphics come back in and need to be married in. 24 days of color grading, 24 days of mixing. 

Eh yeah it could probably be done, pretty low budget for scripted. But probably would look fine in he end. 12 episodes for 80 million. Probably need an 8 million contingency so 88.

Edited by lokisnow

2 hours ago, Hello World said:

Who said this besides you? Never mind, I'm not getting into this again...

He's saying your fan level isn't over 9000 :P Mine too :o:P

Edited by Callan S.

Got had somewhere between 50 and 60 mil for season 1, which included reshooting the entire pilot. 

38 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Got had somewhere between 50 and 60 mil for season 1, which included reshooting the entire pilot. 

Right, and that's the season that cut out all the major battles.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right, and that's the season that cut out all the major battles.

Man, don't remind me how fucking good Game of Thrones used to be...

It's ok I'm sure a seriies containing battles larger than any attempted or previously filmed IN THE HISTORY of film contains tons of wizards flying around won't be expensive.

18 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Bah. He'll get a deal. I find the pessimism around here laughable. From the AmA ruined the series.

For a lot of people it did. 

To, your rather see an overdone LotR, than something new.

It's not about us RATHER seeing this, it's pointing out the economic and political difficulties. When you say things like Amazon can afford it, this misses that point entirely. When we refute this, you casting us as wanting LotR on TV is completely missing the mark. 

You can be a fan of something and still acknowledge how hard things are going to be. If you believe the only way to be a fan of something is to blindly follow it and ignore any facts that hurt your position, well, you're doing a very good job of showing how precisely you idolize the humans in Bakker's books.

What fair weather fans. You should be ashamed. But, you won't. I get the feeling around here that you guys know what Bakker should do and what he shouldn't. Instead of just seeing what the man pulls off. 

Bakker's track record of pulling things off isn't super awesome so far. We have a failure of a psychological thriller, a failure of a detective series, major issues getting the final book published, no publisher announcing picking up his series after the second thing ends, general lack of social media presence and some of his biggest fans telling him off. Oh, and we have the admin of his fan site actively harassing other people and other sites. He's done some good things, too, but the best way to predict the future is to look at what has happened earlier - and there are a lot of red flags. 

Put it another way: would a company with a huge social media presence and view which recently dismissed two executive producers on the basis of sexual harassment do well or do poorly adapting someone like Bakker?

On 11/15/2017 at 9:37 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Also you keep ignoring the actual point, which is that TSA would be super FX heavy and cost a shit ton of money. Way more than say, I dunno, that Rings trilogy thing they made a while back.

See, I don't think so. When battles are done all don't have to be epic in scope. You can cut certain things. We have whole movies based on war and battles that don't break budgets. I feel there are ways around it with the right vision. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:40 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Wait, I should be ashamed because I think a TSA show would cost a lot?

Ashamed that you guys have been dedicated fans for years, a great place that brought a lot of people to the series. And, all I see anymore is 90% of you shitting on the series. That comment had nothing to do with the filming of it.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, Kalbear said:

It's not about us RATHER seeing this, it's pointing out the economic and political difficulties. When you say things like Amazon can afford it, this misses that point entirely. When we refute this, you casting us as wanting LotR on TV is completely missing the mark. 

You can be a fan of something and still acknowledge how hard things are going to be. If you believe the only way to be a fan of something is to blindly follow it and ignore any facts that hurt your position, well, you're doing a very good job of showing how precisely you idolize the humans in Bakker's books.

I never said you guys wanted LotR... I said I would rather see something new, anything but more LotR (which I am fan of, but I've had my fill).

The highest cost of a film is 368 mil Pirates of Caribbean. Which I truly believe that PoN, with the right vision, could very easily be done under 200 mil, if not less. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:41 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Who said Bakker should do anything? I am super confused.

You're super confused, because your being condensceding. Its what you do. 

Again, don't really care that it isn't Bakker. Give me Abercrombie, Lawrence, or a whole host of other series of love see come to life. That's all. You know what would be a really good adaption? Josiah's Bancroft's Tower of Babel. I could think of many more that I would love to see. You guys are pegging me as a one horse pony, for Bakker. Its not the case. 

Eh, pretty sure the reported budget for Avengers 3 and 4 is round 1 billion, and if you adjust for inflation there are way more expensive films.

Also, that budget for Pirates was for one 2hour ish film. Pretty sure you would have a hard time doing PoN in one film.

19 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Lol, no, I actually have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, but continue to be a combative dick, it seems to be your MO.

Here's an emoji for ya: :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I never said you guys wanted LotR... I said I would rather see something new, anything but more LotR (which I am fan of, but I've had my fill).

You literally said we'd rather see LotR than PoN

You literally said that we would rather tell Bakker what to do.

Edited by Kalbear

If they did do a TSA series, and kept the sorcery, they should make it the CGI for the sorcery really cheap and cheesy-looking. Giant ridiculous cheap CGI dragon-heads and walls for Anagogic sorcery, sparkly light beams for the Gnosis. They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

Maybe re-use some of the panning army shots as well.

Edited by Fall Bass