Lily Valley

November 2017: What was good this year?

106 posts in this topic

I finished reading Myth and Sexuality by Jamake Highwater - I really loved this book - thought it was really interesting

I started rereading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I read this book ages ago and started the second one but for whatever reason I had to put it down and now I've forgotten everything. I'm really liking rereading it though. 

Almost finished my reread of the illustrated Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I've read it a million times but not illustrated and I love it.

Still reading Eye of the World but slowly and only every now and then. 

Edit to add

Still reading Metro Winds too, by Isobelle Carmody

Also - put this in the november reads because I couldnt find the december one

Edited by Isildur's Mane

Nick Harkaway's Gnomon is super double plus good. Obviously.

Reading Sanderson's Wax and Wayne series and am just not getting into it.  After reading most of the Cosmere this year I'm seeing way too many patterns that are currently rubbing me the wrong way:

1) 2D characters

2) Atrocious dialog working FAR to hard to seem 'witty'

3) 90% setup for one big ending event

4) Too much focus on 'figuring out' the magic system

So I think after the first in the series I'll shelve the rest and Stormlight #3 until I get through some of the heavier stuff I have on my plate.

Finished The Last Colony by John Scalzi. Pretty much standard Scalzi. Entertaining and fast reads (I think of them as snack novels) with the same kind of pacing, dialogue, wit and plot turns you get in the predecessor novels.  

I "hopped" Zoe's Tale and picked up The Human Division since Zoe's Tale wasn't available at the library and it's the same story as in The Last Colony but told from a different character's perspective. That might be a mistake but I can't imagine it would be a big one. A

After that, I'll do A Deepness in the Sky or A Fire Upon the Deep depending on what my library has immediately.

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Reading Sanderson's Wax and Wayne series and am just not getting into it.  After reading most of the Cosmere this year I'm seeing way too many patterns that are currently rubbing me the wrong way:

1) 2D characters

2) Atrocious dialog working FAR to hard to seem 'witty'

3) 90% setup for one big ending event

4) Too much focus on 'figuring out' the magic system

There are things I liked about the series, but some of the attempts at humour (usually involving Wayne) are painful to read.