Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

Welcome to Acrophilia 18!

Adventure-loving heroes and heroines are wanted in a new quest to save Westeros! The Book of Ancient Knowledge, containing information on the changing seasons, the Others and the interpretation of prophecies, has been hidden in a secret castle in the swamps of the Neck guarded by dragons and other dangerous creatures. Your task is to enter the castle and find the book there – if you do, you may just be able to give the people of Westeros the knowledge they most need in these turbulent times. To find your way to the book, you will have to walk down secret passageways, climb spiral stairways and, most of all, open doors that are strictly locked, but will open to those who solve certain clues. If you think you are ready to solve clues, open doors and look for treasure, this quest is just for you.

The Game and the Rules:

Short version (if you are an old player): 

There will be approximately *five seven rounds, each one with the same rules. You can send me preliminary character and theme guesses once per round. In reply, I will tell you how many of your character guesses are correct but not which ones, and I will tell you if your theme guess is correct, incorrect or close. You can vote for your favourite clue after being informed about the answers. There will also be a “super-theme”, a theme which links all the other themes. You can try to guess the super-theme any time during the game and you can also change you guess any time during the game, but I will not reply to that guess in any way, i.e. there will be no confirmation that your guess is correct. If you want to join, please, send me (Julia H.) a PM entitled Acrophilia #18<Your Board Name>. For further information see the detailed rules and the scoring system.

*For reasons to be revealed at the end of the game, I reserve the right to slightly modify this number before the end of the first round.*

Long version hidden below:

Spoiler

- Send your host (me, Julia H.) a PM entitled Acrophilia #18 <Your Board Name>.

- In reply to the PM’s, I will send each player an ASOIAF character for which the player will create a clue and send it to me (via PM) before a given deadline. The clues will be based on a randomly generated acronym, which the player can choose from two options. (The acronym options will be the same for each player.) When creating the clue, the players should be careful to use references that describe only or mainly the given character (i.e. they must avoid references that work equally well for other characters, too). The clues must not contain character names, character nicknames or place names. I have no objection to references to sigils or house words. You are encouraged to send an explanation for your clue, which will be published in the list for the favourite clue voting.

- When all the clues are in, I will post them here without indicating the names of the authors. Then the players will have at least five days to figure out the characters behind the clues and to guess the theme that the characters represent. The guesses will be sent to me via PM. (Potential answers must not be discussed on the thread.) The players may change their guesses before the deadline. 

- Players can also send in preliminary guesses. After receiving preliminary guesses, I will tell the player how many character guesses are correct (but not which ones) and whether the theme guess is correct, incorrect or close.  

- After the deadline for the guesses has passed, I will post the answers to the clues, still without identifying the authors. Then players will have two days + to vote for their favourite clues before I reveal the authors and the scores, which is the end of the round.

- There will be a “super-theme”, a theme which links the themes of the rounds. You can try to guess the super-theme any time during the game (via PM to me) and you can also change you guess any time during the game, but I will not reply to that guess in any way, i.e. there will be no confirmation that your guess is correct. However, it is worth guessing the super-theme early. Super-theme guesses will be evaluated at the end of the game, when only your last guess will count (but you can go back to an earlier guess as your new guess).

- The winner will be the player who collects the highest number of points during the game.

Scoring System:

3 points for correctly guessing a clue (guessing points)

4 points for correctly guessing the theme, or less if your theme guess is only close (theme points)

5 points for the player who first sends in a perfect set of answers, both characters and theme (bonus points)

1 point for each favourite clue vote your clue receives but only if you have also voted for your favourite clue (favourite clue points)

5 points to a player who guesses the super-theme before the second round begins (super-theme points)

4 points to a player who guesses the super-theme after the beginning of the second round but before the beginning of the third round (super-theme points)

3 points to a player who guesses the super-theme after the beginning of the third round but before I reveal it (super-theme points)

Players lurking in the swamp trying to figure out a way to locate the castle and to enter:

Castellan

a free shadow

Dolorous Gabe

jezzie_bell

Raisin' Bran

Ser Not Appearing

rocksniffer

Challenge              Quest               Adventure

1 minute ago, Castellan said:

I am getting 'cannot receive messages' when I try to PM you. I checked I had the correct user name. Anyway, I'm in.

I've received your PM now. :)

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

The Book of Ancient Knowledge, containing information on the changing seasons, the Others and the interpretation of prophecies, has been hidden /// you may just be able to give the people of Westeros the knowledge they most need in these turbulent times.

But we have just defeated the Others, it was even an inside job, on my part :ninja: Or do you mean that until I live, the Others don't die and everybody needs to defeat me? Then it is good, as it makes sense :ninja:  I will help :ninja: 

4 hours ago, a free shadow said:

But we have just defeated the Others, it was even an inside job, on my part :ninja: Or do you mean that until I live, the Others don't die and everybody needs to defeat me? Then it is good, as it makes sense :ninja:  I will help :ninja: 

The Book of Ancient Knowledge will give you the answer - if you find it. :D

Send me the PM.

To everyone: While you are lurking in the swamp (mind your step!) trying to find the castle, feel free to discuss your ideas for getting in. 

3 hours ago, Julia H. said:

To everyone: While you are lurking in the swamp (mind your step!) trying to find the castle, feel free to discuss your ideas for getting in. 

My plan was to say I'm there to do some maintenance on the castle sconces.

7 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

If I spend too long in this swamp will I start looking like this?

That's actually kinda hot.

7 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

may I borrow your GPS since you're not using it (and certainly don't need it ;))?

The problem is the signal down here in the swamp.  The flowers are pretty though.

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Come on, ended the suspense and tell us. What did the Acrophila 18 players want?

But good Ser, thou surely knowest the answer to thine own riddle.

Of course, they wanted to play another Acrophilia game!

And play they shall. Soon.

29 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

18 players wanted? You want 18 players? :P

Well, it would be exciting to have 18 players, but a lot of work, too, and in more ways than you would think! :D

By now each of you must have received a raven message from an ASOIAF character who has agreed to help you during the first round. It means that you can magically summon this character once when you are in trouble and the character will try to help you. However, first you have to bind this character to yourself by creating a magical clue for him/her.  

Your acronyms: PAURF, WERSPMO

Your deadline: Monday, 6th November, 8 p.m. Central European Time.

4 hours ago, a free shadow said:

Very inconvenient for those of us planning gunpowder treason and plot. But I can do anything! :ninja:

Oops, sorry, I have completely forgotten about you Guys, with your treason and gunpowder. Extension is possible if needed, but that means a longer time for you all to lurk in the swamps or for the swamps to lurk in you (the latter is entirely your choice).   

Then again, lurking in the swamps might be preferable to what is waiting for you in the castle... :eek:

Archived