Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

Round One Answers

1. Pruned apples underline reliable fetcher.

Answer: Dolorous Edd, who told Jon Snow of his dream about becoming a Lord Commander.

Other guesses: Sarella, Lothor Brune, Meera.

Explanation: Edd, who is about to fetch Lord Commander Snow’s breakfast, assesses the options, mentioning “apples stewed with prunes”. Fetcher is reference to "Edd, fetch me a block".

2. With eventide, ravenous serpents plague maiden onshore.

Answer: Shireen Baratheon, who told Maester Cressen that she dreamt of the stone dragons of Dragonstone coming alive and eating her.

Other guesses: Sansa, Brienne, Arya, Arianne.

Explanation: The clue refers to the dream that made Shireen eligible for this round.

3. Whoopsie: Early royal screwup's pickled melee oinked.

Answer: Robert Baratheon, who told Eddard that he killed Rhaegar in his dreams a thousand times.

Other guesses: Joffrey, Dontos, Tommen.

Explanation: Robert (not the best of kings) had a drunken fight with a boar.

4. Prophesies army, unwittingly. Requests footwear. 

Answer: Owen the Oaf, who told Jon Snow during the siege of Castle Black that he had dreamt of King Robert coming with his army to save the Night’s Watch.  (Later Stannis arrived with an army to lift the siege.)

Other guesses: Jon Snow, Daenerys, Patchface, Syrio.

Explanation: The first part is explained above, the second part refers to the fact that after Janos Slynt’s execution, Owen asks if he can have his boots.  

This clue is not eligible for any votes.

5. Whiffing evacuations, red-handed skewerer postulated mission objectives.

Answer: Tyrion Lannister, who told Jon Snow about his dragon dreams.

Other guesses: Will, Mandon, Jaime, Arya, Theon, Jon.

Explanation: After Tyrion kills Tywin, he smells the bowels, then starts to wonder,  suggest, ask (postulate) finding out where whores go (mission objective). It also references a onetime comment to Cersei about people in Tyrosh calling him - "redhands".

6. Pasty adolescent ushered ravenous friend.

Answer: Jojen Reed, who told Bran about several of his green dreams (such as the winged wolf or Winterfell flooded by the sea).

Other guesses: Paste, Meera, Ramsey.

Explanation: Reference to the theory of Jojen paste, but also to Jojen’s fair complexion. Bran is the “ravenous” friend (crows and ravens are cousins), hungry for knowledge, who is “ushered” by Jojen on his quest to become the three-eyed crow.

7. Wielding erroneous red sword pretender marches on. 

Answer: Stannis Baratheon, who told Davos that he kept seeing his brother Renly in his dreams, and later confessed that he dreamt of both Robert and Renly.

Other guesses: Thoros.

Explanation: The clue refers to Melisandre-made Lightbringer. Stannis is sometimes mentioned as “the Baratheon pretender”. We know that he marches on, no matter what.  

8. Proved an unreliable reptilian follower.

Answer: Brown Ben Plumm, who told Daenerys that the smell of the sewers still haunted him in his dream.

Other guesses: Aliser Thorne, Mirri, Viserys, Varys, Jorah, Petyr Baelish.

Explanation: Ben (unreliably) follows the blood of the dragon (in fact, he turns his cloak when he hears Dany can’t control her dragons any more), but he himself is also “reptilian” with a couple of drops of dragon blood in his veins. That makes him a “reptilian follower” in two different senses.

Theme: Characters who have talked about their dreams to other characters. 

Well, those who have solved the theme have also realized what to do in order to get out: Talk to the gaoler, tell him your dreams, ask him about his own dreams, explain how his dream is a warning that he must let you go free. So now you are free and have even received from him a map of the castle of a sort (it's old and torn and faded, and you don't know how reliable it is). Those who didn't solve the theme can also leave the cell now, but they have to leave their theme points behind, and they haven't received a map.

Feel free to examine the clues and their answers to decide which one you want to choose as your favourite clue. (Clue #4 cannot be your favourite clue.) I listed the various other guesses (including prelims guesses and changed guesses) because I thought authors might be interested in them. If you want to comment on the explanation of your clue, please, wait until the authors are revealed. Anyway, let's try a short deadline for the vote:

Wednesday, 15th November, 10 p.m. Central European Time (that's about 27 hours from this moment).

If you want to guess the authors of the clues (not for points, just for fun), send me the guesses after voting - I'm curious! :D

Just now, rocksniffer said:

...this might be my lucky day

:smoking:

I spent an inordinate amount of time on a few clues (that I got wrong even after finding answers I liked) and didn't submit anything for two (because I knew my thoughts were wrong ... and in that I was right). I also didn't revise answers with new guesses. But I did try for awhile. More than normal.

I got one correct.

You, my friend, are screwed. And not in a good way.

I got two clues wrong, and while I do not deserve any points at all for other reasons, they are both bad clues (because other answers fit better for them). I am sure about what I am saying, because at some point I had them both right, and then found better answers :ninja: 

Especially bad is Robert clue, which I can critique, because I have not an idea at all who the author is :ninja:

My guess was Tyrion, who is a 'royal screwup', for being from the royal family and for being screwed up so very much and for screwing up so very much, and who had to get into rum (pickled) to make it onto the pig (oinked) for the first (early) mock-joust (melee) and then fell on his nose to get injured and laughed at (oinked), every word is accounted for with this guess, even 'whoopsie', while with Robert, not so much, including the word 'early', how does 'early' work for him?

Even the best wonderful host can miss it, but not the author, who, again, I do not know who it is :laugh: 

:ninja: 

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I spent an inordinate amount of time on a few clues (that I got wrong even after finding answers I liked) and didn't submit anything for two (because I knew my thoughts were wrong ... and in that I was right). I also didn't revise answers with new guesses. But I did try for awhile. More than normal.

I got one correct.

You, my friend, are screwed. And not in a good way.

...which is the only kinda screwing i can count on nowadays... and you only barely beat me...i got 2...i also let 2 clues dominate my thought process and one which i thought was for sure turned out to be so far off it was pitiful...

..so i am still liking my chances :commie:

1 hour ago, a free shadow said:

while with Robert, not so much, including the word 'early', how does 'early' work for him?

he dies early in the series...i assume since i am not the author...or am i...

...does the :ninja: not know...

50 minutes ago, jezzie_bell said:

I got 2 wrong.  I knew I was getting them wrong. I feel like the authors of those 2 clues owe me cake.

...though i do not claim authorship of your difficult clues...will Uncle sniffer's special brownies do instead...

:smoking:

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I got two clues wrong, and while I do not deserve any points at all for other reasons, they are both bad clues (because other answers fit better for them). I am sure about what I am saying, because at some point I had them both right, and then found better answers :ninja: 

Especially bad is Robert clue, which I can critique, because I have not an idea at all who the author is :ninja:

My guess was Tyrion, who is a 'royal screwup', for being from the royal family and for being screwed up so very much and for screwing up so very much, and who had to get into rum (pickled) to make it onto the pig (oinked) for the first (early) mock-joust (melee) and then fell on his nose to get injured and laughed at (oinked), every word is accounted for with this guess, even 'whoopsie', while with Robert, not so much, including the word 'early', how does 'early' work for him?

Even the best wonderful host can miss it, but not the author, who, again, I do not know who it is :laugh: 

I got this right because I asked for a random piece of information about it. I think 'early' refers to his number. 'Early' was always a bit weird as referring to youthful screwup which was how I saw it. It was frustrating because it evoked a few possible events - my first answer was Dontos - unfortunately knowing that was wrong did not rule out that tourney event because I had chosen between Dontos and Joffrey. Then I realised Viserys was drunk when he got himself killed so I thought the fracas he created could be a melee. But I couldn't find that he told anyone about a dream other than telling Dany about his dreams in the sense of daydreams/ambitions. Then I focused on oink and whoopsie and started thinking about Tyrion & Penny jousting and on Tyrion and Joffrey's confrontation over Penny & Grote jousting. However I thought Tyrion wasn't royal enough and there was still a difficulty in that its a lot better clue if the royal screw up is also the person for whom the event oinked so I decided I was clue blind on this and asked for a piece of information.

You can see from my gabby tone that I am enormously excited by getting it right.

Archived