Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

Who had the best Christmas ghosts? :ninja:

Reveal hidden contents

you should not presume that they were on my duty and I am now surveying customer feedback. Persuming can be very dangerous :ninja: 

Ebenezer Scrooge.

I hope you have had a merry Christmas. :)

Sorry about the delay: Last night we had a dinner guest I hadn't foreseen when I set the last deadline. So now:

ROUND SIX ANSWERS

1. Lord isn't exactly pedigreed... promising leadership instincts presented.

Answer: Jon Snow.

Explanation: Reference to Jon Snow’s status as a nobleman's bastard, his rank as Lord Commander and his leadership qualities.

Other guesses: None.

2. One speaks edited messages.

Answer: Missandei.

Explanation: Her job is translator and then herald. Speaking is her job. She regularly works as an interpreter for Dany and often softens utterances that are not polite enough. Missandei also habitually refers to herself in the third person as 'this one'.

Other guesses: Varys, Jaqen H’ghar, Tyrion, Owen, Sansa, Arya.

3. Legatee's "invalidation" explained: private pact lost its partner.

Answer: Arianne Martell.

Explanation: She demands and gets an explanation why Quentyn, not she, is Doran’s intended heir. She also finds out that she was secretly betrothed to Viserys.

4. Obese swordsman enjoys mozzarella.

Answer: Illyrio Mopatis.

Explanation: Formerly a bravo, later a cheesemonger, now obese.

5. Last icy embrace prompted paling lips into pardon.

Answer: Jeor Mormont.

Explanation: As Mormont is dying practically in Sam’s arms in the icy North, he talks about his son, about forgiveness and about his wish that Jorah should return and take the black.

Other guesses: Ned Stark.

6. Operation Scarecrow... Ears malfunction.

Answer: Dick Follard.

Explanation: The black brother defends Castle Black in the same tower as Jon and Satin, with several “scarecrow brothers” around them. He is deaf.

Other guesses: Berick Dondarrion.

7. Loved intimately early, paid price. Loves independence passionately.

Answer: Daenerys Targaryen.

Explanation: She was married and bedded and learned to love Drogo when she was only thirteen. She paid a high price for loving Drogo and wanting to keep him alive. The second part refers to her fight against slavery and her love for Daario (a very independent person).

Other guesses: Tyrion.

8. Obviously slew. Evidence mountainous.

Answer: Tyrion Lannister.

Explanation: Cersei gathers a mountain of evidence to prove that Tyrion killed Joffrey. The ultimate “evidence” is the fact that the Mountain kills Oberyn, Tyrion’s champion.

Other guesses: Gregor Clegane.

Theme: Characters who have eaten raisins on page.

Please, vote for your favourite clue before December 29th (tomorrow) 11. p.m. Central European Time. Please, note that Clue #6 (Dick Follard) is not eligible for votes. 

Also, please, send me your clue for the next round (if you haven't already done so). 

I am looking at clue two and there are unusually many options for the author. I do not want to find it by elimination, so I am not looking at other clues and it is slightly not entirely easy :ninja:

But for the record I have a favorite:

Bran

I will accept prizes, if I am right, and also prizes if I am not :smug: 

ROUND SIX AUTHORS

In Round Six …

1. Jon Snow watched over the realms of men in the company of jezzie_bell.

2. Missandei helped Castellan interpret the clues.

3. Arianne Martell inspired Dolorous Gabe to solve all the clues.

4. Illyrio Mopatis shared some cheese and some raisins with Raisin’ Bran.

5. Jeor Mormont fought and spied for a free shadow.

6. Dick Follard had a clue written for him by Julia H.

7. Daenerys Targaryen invited rocksniffer to a dragon riding trip.

8. Tyrion Lannister had an appointment with Ser Not Appearing.

14 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

3. Arianne Martell inspired Dolorous Gabe to solve all the clues.

I was most pleasantly inspired! ;)

16 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

2. Missandei helped Castellan interpret the clues.

@Castellan - well played! A delightful clue! Comfortably my favourite of the round!

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I am looking at clue two and there are unusually many options for the author. I do not want to find it by elimination, so I am not looking at other clues and it is slightly not entirely easy :ninja:

But for the record I have a favorite:

Reveal hidden contents

Bran

I will accept prizes, if I am right, and also prizes if I am not :smug: 

Can't blame you for not guessing me, If I was not me and I was guessing, I would have put me at #4.

18 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I was most pleasantly inspired! ;)

@Castellan - well played! A delightful clue! Comfortably my favourite of the round!

Thanks Gabe it looks like we swapped votes.

ROUND SIX RESULTS

Name / Score

Guessing points

Theme points

Bonus points

Favourite clue points

Total

jezzie_bell

23+103=126

Castellan

31+126=157

Dolorous Gabe

27+86=113

Raisin’ Bran

7+67=74

A Free Shadow

1+108=109

rocksniffer

15+84=99

Ser Not Appearing

0+19=19

STANDINGS

1. Castellan: 157

2. jezzie_bell: 126

3. Dolorous Gabe: 113

4. a free shadow: 109

5. rocksniffer: 99

6. Raisin’ Bran: 74

7. Ser Not Appearing: 19

Round Six has finished, bringing another victory for Castellan, who solves every clue and uncovers every theme and continues to lead the search for the Book of Ancient Knowledge! She has also won the bonus points for being the first player to submit a perfect set of answers. Another player who has solved everything is Dolorous Gabe. He has also produced the most popular clue of the round. Jezzie_bell managed to solve everything but one clue, and this was enough for her to jump to second place in the overall contest. The others may have been a bit too focused on the Christmas cake to notice the raisins, but nothing is lost yet: The last round of the quest is almost here, and we are getting really close to the Book of Ancient Knowledge.

ROUND SEVEN

As mentioned somewhere above, your new friend, the castellan's niece / nephew seems to remember that there is a sign that can lead a person to the room where the Book of Ancient Knowledge is guarded. While thinking about this, you visit the kitchen and prepare your packed lunch so you can eat it later, when you get hungry: some cheese and onions, mint tea, wine, ale, lemon juice, the usual stuff. For some reason, you also pocket some flowers. Then you find some cake and decide to eat it at once. As you are eating the cake, your friend suddenly shouts out: "I know! It's the raisins! If we follow the raisins, we'll find the room!" So you set out again, and soon enough you find raisins on the floor, leading from the kitchen through secret staircases to the seventh floor of the castle.... And all of a sudden you just know that the room you are looking for is right there in front of you. All you have to do is get past the enormous dragon with the seven heads. The dragon is eating raisins and breathing fire. What can you do now?

Don't panic. The clues below may help. 

(Yes, we have nine clues once again. For no special reason.)

1. Last. Alcoholic cretin.

2. Has a special laugh. Inaudible footsteps leave kings leery.

3. Lass adores crow.

4. "Heathcliff, arguably!" suggests literarily-inclined fan, lamenting knavish lord.

5. Halitosis and secret legitimacy investigations foreclose lord's kindly legacy.

6. Large! Atrociously charred.

7. Hopeful about seizing lordship if female’s located. King’s leftover.

8. High as ... stout lady imagines flinging little knave loftily.

9. Leafy acerbic comments.

Theme: ???

Your character can help you twice.

There will be two theme prelims.

The deadline: Thursday, January 4th, 6 p.m. Central European Time.

Don't forget to send your super theme ideas (if you have any). As a reminder, here's a list of the themes of the previous rounds:

Round 1: Dreamers who have told their dreams to other characters.

Round 2: Characters who have cast a large shadow on page.

Round 3: Characters who (for a while at least) change their physical appearance and do not appear to be who and what they are.

Round 4: Characters who have had something (important) to do with bells.

Round 5: Nieces and nephews of castellans.

Round 6: Characters who have eaten raisins on page.

Round 7: ???

Archived