Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

I would like to apologize to anyone who lost points, suffered emotional distress, or experienced grammatical anguish over my Sandor clue. :(

And a huge thank you to whomever voted for my clue.   :cheers:

I think I would have chosen the same clue as Julia did from the list and between us, we simply didn't consider the Sansa scene. 

I'm curious to know what you think would have worked better....

Spoiler

1. Fire rages, ad anima 
  2. Fire renders aggressor afraid 
  3. Avoided icky knighthood before gravely unearthing redemption, charity. 
  4. Avoided icky knighthood before gravely unearthing redemptive clarity.
  5. Avoided inflammable knickers because gargantuan's untrue ratifications corroborated. 
  6. Alpine'ish kin blamed garments, unabashedly ratifying charring.
  7. Almost imperceptible kindness behind grotesque ulceration reveals chivalry.

I fell into the same trap with Castellan's clue.  I was convinced it was Mance Rayder who scaled The Wall (ably) to crash a party at Winterfell (infiltrated) and was never caught. The reasons for him taking that risk were unclear (goals uncertain), but it seemed to be inspired by "Bael the Bard" to gather intelligence as King Beyond the Wall (Royal connection).  I got it wrong, but that's what led me to the theme.  :dunno: 

The other one that messed me up for a long time was @Dolorous Gabe.  I had Jon Connington at first... cause, you know, greyscale.  Then I had Aeron Damphair... he washed ashore and was held prisoner at Casterly Rock.  Davos clicked at almost the last moment.

I voted for the Illyrio clue from @rocksniffer  I first, read it and looked for the inspiring king's boy, and thought it was definitely Viserys with "royally coined" referring to his crowing with melted down loot.  But once I figured out the King's boy was the one being inspired, the clue made perfect sense.  Very clever. :smoking:

Thanks for all the kind words and congrats to everyone for just making it through this round. :D

@Julia H. your narrative has been so lovely.  Thank you for all the work you put into this.

7 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

viserys was a king's boy what is inaccurate about that my brother....

I don't see how Illyrio could ever have been truly behind Viserys if he'd had Aegon under his sleeve the whole time. They never truly expected the Dothraki to "ride wooden horses over the poison water." As I said it's only a nitpick, as I voted for yours.

4 hours ago, jezzie_bell said:

I fell into the same trap with Castellan's clue.  I was convinced it was Mance Rayder who scaled The Wall (ably) to crash a party at Winterfell (infiltrated) and was never caught. The reasons for him taking that risk were unclear (goals uncertain), but it seemed to be inspired by "Bael the Bard" to gather intelligence as King Beyond the Wall (Royal connection).  I got it wrong, but that's what led me to the theme.  :dunno: 

Same. I had Mance in my head and couldn't move on from it.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I don't see how Illyrio could ever have been truly behind Viserys if he'd had Aegon under his sleeve the whole time. They never truly expected the Dothraki to "ride wooden horses over the poison water." As I said it's only a nitpick, as I voted for yours.

Same. I had Mance in my head and couldn't move on from it.

well i guess i can accept that critique... and thanks to you and jezzie for the vote.

i also wanted it to be mance but had moved on to a tossup between tyrion and quentyn martell, both infiltrated daenerys kingdom (meereen) with uncertain goals (to get a dragon, political gain, revenge)... and i read the royal connection as an attempt from quentyn to marry her, and tyrion is brother to queen sort of a royal connection

and frankly i wanted 6 to be doran martell, who fit the clue perfectly...

ah well...moving on

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

and frankly i wanted 6 to be doran martell, who fit the clue perfectly...

Can you remind me which insolent kinsman was arrested by Doran Martell? I can't recall....

On 11/16/2017 at 10:35 PM, Julia H. said:

Shireen's natural kindness The Other Shadow

Never happened :ninja: 

On 11/22/2017 at 2:14 AM, Julia H. said:

In defense of the author of Clue #3, ... (I confess I totally didn't see that intuition would lead some players to "liar, liar, pants on fire".) 

I thought is was a brilliant way to say that Sansa avoided being caught in a lie by Sandor helping her. I understood by the reaction I got that this is not really the case, but I decided to keep it as long as possible as a brilliant clue on my list. It was good to pretend it exists :ninja: 

My preliminaries came back 5/7, but as they were all truly random guesses, I could not start to imagine which ones might be correct. For clue 6, I did not even understood the logic of the sentence, I was entirely an accident that I wrote Davos.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:05 PM, Julia H. said:

Can you remind me which insolent kinsman was arrested by Doran Martell? I can't recall....

arianne, and all the sand snakes...all insolent in their actions and words...and arianne wants doran to support myrcella as heir to ironthrone over tommen and marry her to trystane...a girl who urges royal conclusion...

12 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

arianne, and all the sand snakes...all insolent in their actions and words...and arianne wants doran to support myrcella as heir to ironthrone over tommen and marry her to trystane...a girl who urges royal conclusion...

But they are all women... kinswomen in the plural, not kinsman, which is male and singular.

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

They usually are, in practice. Which is perhaps problematic... but is still the case.

I have seen kinswoman used quite a lot. I think kinsman is not a term which has achieved a generic use. Even the plural didn't, perhaps because one can just say 'kin' for a mixed group.

Its a bit like countryman. You wouldn't say, after all, you are my countryman to a woman.

It's exciting to watch this game right now. The bonus five points are still up for grabs, and several of you are getting really close. Who will be there first? 

BTW, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the linguistic discussion. :D

9 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i see the point, just did not occur to me...kinsmen and countrymen both mean "all" to me...

but i bow to the consensus of the group

:smoking:

I'm not a group although I am quite large. Julia and I are not a group either. And bugger consensus. What's that got to do with it? Its not like we are a committee that oversees the OED. I suppose "Friends, Romans, countrymen" sets a precedent in your favour, but I think its limited to plural and abstract (a large crowd).

I very very much like us'ns. 

Archived